Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

In_NewEngland, do what I do. I also get a little creeped out by the gelatin. I use a super thin metal strainer to pour it in after I have reliquified it. It strains out any of the blood blobs, tiny bones, etc. Then eat it hot, it's very good with celery and carrots, beets, root veggies.
Yes, as far as I know, Knox gelatin is basically the same, bone powder used to thicken jellos, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
So, in other words, after you roast the chicken, you put ALL the gunk that's in the bottom of the pan along with the carcass, into the slow cooker. All that gross gel gunk that you want to throw away.

If so, that's how I'll do it in the future. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:44 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I make mine in my 6 quart pressure cooker. At 15 lbs pressure it's done in 90 minutes. Very gelatinous and yummy! I have 2 qts in the freezer waiting until the weather cools down so I can make soup.

My local Publix sells chicken backs and necks for $1/lb, so that's mainly what I use for stock.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
I've recently started drinking bone broth, pre-made, Epic Artisinal, as I have not been able to obtain organic bones locally or regionally. However, I also recently found an online Kosher source that ships, so I am excited to try them. Also, there is a Whole Foods coming to the region that I think might be a source. I'm trying to decide on a pressure cooker also, but wanted to solidify my commitment to drinking it first.

I do enjoy drinking bone broth. It gives me a comforting feeling, but maybe I haven't been consuming enough? About 8 ounces daily? I am disappointed, as I haven't noticed any benefits yet, other than it tastes pleasant? Should I drink more? How soon did any of you notice changes, digestively, in particular? What should I expect? I know everyone is different, but I am genuinely surprised. I have been drinking either chicken or beef bone broth for two weeks. Too soon to tell? I did a lot of reading on the subject before investing quite a bit in the brand I am using, but don't recall any anecdotal information on how immediate benefits were observed.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I've recently started drinking bone broth, pre-made, Epic Artisinal, as I have not been able to obtain organic bones locally or regionally. However, I also recently found an online Kosher source that ships, so I am excited to try them. Also, there is a Whole Foods coming to the region that I think might be a source. I'm trying to decide on a pressure cooker also, but wanted to solidify my commitment to drinking it first.

I do enjoy drinking bone broth. It gives me a comforting feeling, but maybe I haven't been consuming enough? About 8 ounces daily? I am disappointed, as I haven't noticed any benefits yet, other than it tastes pleasant? Should I drink more? How soon did any of you notice changes, digestively, in particular? What should I expect? I know everyone is different, but I am genuinely surprised. I have been drinking either chicken or beef bone broth for two weeks. Too soon to tell? I did a lot of reading on the subject before investing quite a bit in the brand I am using, but don't recall any anecdotal information on how immediate benefits were observed.
Well, as you know we are all different. Some notice improvements right away, for others it takes longer. I have no idea about the pre-made brand you are consuming; perhaps it just doesn't work as well as one you would make yourself. As I mentioned in my earlier posts. powdered gelatin never did a thing for me. As to amounts I consume, it varies from a large 12 oz mug of just broth, to a lot more if in a soup, most days of the week. I noticed improvements after about two weeks; but I would say maybe you need to drink more and give it a little more time. It would be best if you can make some at home for best results.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, as you know we are all different. Some notice improvements right away, for others it takes longer. I have no idea about the pre-made brand you are consuming; perhaps it just doesn't work as well as one you would make yourself. As I mentioned in my earlier posts. powdered gelatin never did a thing for me. As to amounts I consume, it varies from a large 12 oz mug of just broth, to a lot more if in a soup, most days of the week. I noticed improvements after about two weeks; but I would say maybe you need to drink more and give it a little more time. It would be best if you can make some at home for best results.

Good luck!
Thanks. I think I will go ahead and order bones from the kosher website. I really believe the testimonials and will keep consuming bone broth. It certainly tastes good and I need to stay the course.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
A great article on bone broth, what helps and what's hype, here:

Taking Stock Of Bone Broth: Sorry, No Cure-All Here : The Salt : NPR
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2016, 06:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A great article on bone broth, what helps and what's hype, here:

Taking Stock Of Bone Broth: Sorry, No Cure-All Here : The Salt : NPR
That IS a good article. Bone broth/stock is part of a normal diet but many people have forgotten how to do ordinary cooking and how to make broth.

For me, I had stopped making broth many years ago. I've been making chicken stock for about a year now and I have seen an improvement in mild OA that I have in my feet and I was starting to get it in my wrists.
I THINK it was the chicken stock that did it. No way of proving that, of course.

Everybody always said chicken soup was good for you, nothing new about that. What's new is that people need to start making it again!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yeah, I read that and thought I JUST threw away a chicken carcass. I have all the veggies..... pressure cooker....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2016, 11:22 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So, in other words, after you roast the chicken, you put ALL the gunk that's in the bottom of the pan along with the carcass, into the slow cooker. All that gross gel gunk that you want to throw away.
I just roasted a chicken this week, and I poured all the greasy-looking stuff into a small bowl, let it harden in the fridge overnight, then scraped the gel stuff off the bottom...gonna use the fat for sauteing, adding flavor to stuff, etc.

The jellied stuff I put into a crock-pot with the carcass (and water!) and cooked it on low for about 24 hours. I then took the bones out and crushed them so the marrow was exposed and cooked it a few hours more before straining it into a bowl. I put it in the fridge overnight and skimmed the little bit of fat off (which my kitty loved!) and then froze it in a gallon ziplock bag. I'll use it for gumbo or soup or something.

I've done this with ham also...I cooked some fine great northerns with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine