Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

The History of Prolotherapy

It's not new, around for centuries and I believe more and more so many invasive COSTLY surgeries could be, would be avoided if our insurance world paid for these very cheap injections compared to what the surgeries cost our medical industry/insurance and major debt. My messed up hip replacement cost Medicare over $60K all said and done to all those involved in this surgery.

The more I see it, what a tragedy. So many do suffer with so many elective surgeries.

But, IF these injections were covered and people actually got better and a lot relief, they would not need the surgeons. Right?

It's a vicious cycle of Harm. The old time healers worked To Do No Harm.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-12-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
My husband's insurance covered his prolo therapy.

I mispoke earlier, and he had it done 4 times. No bueno, didn't help him.

I spoke to a bunch of doctor's about it and they had seen poor results with it, but with my husband's condition they thought at least it couldn't hurt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband's insurance covered his prolo therapy.

I mispoke earlier, and he had it done 4 times. No bueno, didn't help him.

I spoke to a bunch of doctor's about it and they had seen poor results with it, but with my husband's condition they thought at least it couldn't hurt.
I don't know what insurance your husband has but everything I've heard about these injections NO insurance covers them. I even paid $150 for dextrose years back and got some relief. The D.O. doing mine now is somehow getting coverage so far. Don't know how and don't ask. Even the dextrose I had in my shoulder years ago(1 session) gave me 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. So I know it does work and when I had it done on shoulder the sports med MD used guided ultrasound to get the injections in the "right" spots. The D.O. I see now uses ultrasound on many of the sites he injections. With MD's who don't use guided ultrasound there is a chance of missing the problem spots.

I don't know anyone else personally who has had prolo, but I read a lot of reviews and I don't believe people lie about their treatments.

For me, I'm happy with 10, 20, 50% would be great improvement. It's amazing to hear your husband got no relief with 4 sessions. Was this dextrose, PRP or what, do you know.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 PM

Here is more indepth info on Prolotherapy NOT Being Paid By Insurance:

Prolotherapy

As this article reads, Prolo, addresses the Cause of our joint issues, INSTABILITY of the ligaments or tendons. Tighten the ligaments with Prolo and help stabilize the joint. That's why too guided ultrasound helps to guide the provider to get the injection in the right place.

Joint surgery is just take Everything out and put in parts.

Prolo just makes too much sense for our crazy medical profession to grasp since it's so inexpensive vs drugs and surgery.

What's left of my life, my prediction is prolo won't be covered by insurance as our AMA lobby(s) has a stranglehold on keeping conventional treatments their first and continuing avenue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-12-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know what insurance your husband has but everything I've heard about these injections NO insurance covers them. I even paid $150 for dextrose years back and got some relief. The D.O. doing mine now is somehow getting coverage so far. Don't know how and don't ask. Even the dextrose I had in my shoulder years ago(1 session) gave me 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. So I know it does work and when I had it done on shoulder the sports med MD used guided ultrasound to get the injections in the "right" spots. The D.O. I see now uses ultrasound on many of the sites he injections. With MD's who don't use guided ultrasound there is a chance of missing the problem spots.

I don't know anyone else personally who has had prolo, but I read a lot of reviews and I don't believe people lie about their treatments.

For me, I'm happy with 10, 20, 50% would be great improvement. It's amazing to hear your husband got no relief with 4 sessions. Was this dextrose, PRP or what, do you know.

It was PRP. War injury, VA covered. They had little faith in it, but were experimenting to get more information. The used the ultra-sound to guide the injections. I believe there were multiple injections each time.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It was PRP. War injury, VA covered. They had little faith in it, but were experimenting to get more information. The used the ultra-sound to guide the injections. I believe there were multiple injections each time.
Well, that makes a little more sense, I guess. The VA can probably do what they choose to do. Too bad it didn't HELP. Maybe if they had done more, it would have worked better.

I'm headed out to get my 3rd (I think) prolo injection in my knee as he will do one 3 weeks apart. Then the D.O. will do some bodywork. I feel much better after his work

Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM

There is a major stipulation when getting Prolo Injections. One cannot take anti inflammatory drugs and when my rheumy a few years ago did 2 sessions on my knee I did not get off the ibuprofen...so they did not work for me...spent $300 and stopped. I know about the drug interference with the prolo work. But I was so hooked on the NSaid.

But it's interesting too, when I had prolo in my shoulder about 7 yrs ago it worked for 3 yrs and I believe I was still taking aspirin.

Now I'm off Nsaids and I believe they are helping. I just had about 8 jabs around my knee and the D.O. also adds an HA injection. Then his bodywork. I feel great right now.

So if your husband was taking Nsaids for his war injuries and doing Prolo this could maybe explain more.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 PM

No he was not.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Just reading this site and they are saying about 80% get good or excellent results. Your husband was not one of them I guess. I had a great session yesterday and was feeling so good up to going to bed and woke up all stiff and sore (what else is new) but thinking FOR ME, it's also the fibro stuff going on and knowing how my body flares with work. I know to expect soreness and more stiffness where the joint is injected, but then it settles down and does the job. So I'm learning more and more.

https://treatingpain.com/treatment/prolotherapy

I'm one of the hip replacement recipients that is left with a mess. Not everyone has good results with surgery, drugs etc.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-13-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 12:12 PM

I've had my 3rd dextrose Prolo and IF I can eventually have 20-50% improvement and walk with less stress/pain, I'm good with those results. To think my old knee can be new, is not realistic.

Topricin also saves me and DMSO.

The thought of more surgery trauma freaks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine