U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM

232 posts, read 240,467 times

Advertisements

I've been told I need a partial knee replacement. I put it off hoping stem cell injection could eventually be used instead and covered by insurance.

From what I've read, the stem cells come from donated amniotic fluid. Reviews on these Stem Cell Centers brag of great success. This is not covered by insurance and one person mentioned a $5000 price tag for one shot in the knee. She said it was worth every penny.

My knee really bothers me and is negatively affecting my everyday life.

Has anyone tried stem cell therapy for knee issues? $5000 is a huge chunk of change, but if it turns out to be a cure, maybe it is worth it.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 PM

23,644 posts, read 8,219,173 times
Here is what Dr. Marc Darrow charges for Prolo, PRP and Stem Cell injections. I'm currently doing the regular Prolo injections by a D.O. I'm seeing weekly. Darrow takes marrow from the patient and injects the stem cells. You may do well with PRP and even Dextrose injections.

Darrow Sports and Wellness Institute | Stem Cell Institute

Insurance coverage, don't know if we'll ever see that.

I live with a nasty knee from the outcome of hip replacement in 2010 and can't bear to go for more surgery trauma. I live with a lot of nerve damage as it is.

I know people do well with these replacements and a huge number who do not.

Caring Medical also does this work, their prices are higher than Dr. Darrow.

http://www.caringmedical.com/for-pat...ment-policies/

Depending on the severity of the joint issues, choices can be made to do the injections.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-25-2016 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 11:27 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,601,633 times
I would gladly pay $1850 if I knew it would work....unless the stem cells come from aborted babies' amniotic fluid.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:35 AM

232 posts, read 240,467 times
The stem cell place near me uses stem cells from amniotic fluid from live births. Then it states that the cells are tested and only from mothers who say they don't use drugs. It makes me nervous to put other people's cells, even when tested into my body. I like the idea of using one's own cells, but I'm not sure what is involved with taking it from your marrow. I'll have to research that.

It sounds like this therapy is moving forward, but not there yet. I'll keep researching.

Thank you for the replies and advice.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM

There is no guarantee to anything we TRY. I went with major hip replacement and I'm left with a mess, mega thousands paid by insurance ...we all pay no matter what.

Do more research in your area or do the replacement. CHOICES.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM

75 posts, read 51,482 times
stem cell treatment wont help, stem cells are precursors to cells in your body, mainly blood cells. Just eat healthy and use that knee as soon as possible, you body will generate the cells needed to heal. doctors are quacks.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
stem cell treatment wont help, stem cells are precursors to cells in your body, mainly blood cells. Just eat healthy and use that knee as soon as possible, you body will generate the cells needed to heal. doctors are quacks.
It takes more than good eating. I exercised and danced all my life and at 72 had horrid groin pain which was a mess of bone spurs. So opted for the hip job and now NO groin pain but a mess from the surgery. Damn if you do, damned if you don't.

Dextrose Prolo sessions are keeping me walking. I can't imagine a knee surgery. Talk about trauma and damage.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:21 PM

75 posts, read 51,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It takes more than good eating. I exercised and danced all my life and at 72 had horrid groin pain which was a mess of bone spurs. So opted for the hip job and now NO groin pain but a mess from the surgery. Damn if you do, damned if you don't.

Dextrose Prolo sessions are keeping me walking. I can't imagine a knee surgery. Talk about trauma and damage.
Sorry to hear about your bone spears, but you are what you eat. Your body needs amino acids for protein synthesis. good nutrition works well for me.
Rock n roll

Old 10-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Who knows why I ended up with all the bone spurs on right groin. Left groin was smooth on xrays. I know my family members ate lots of sugars/carbs all their lives and no bone spurs. So who really knows WHY stuff happens.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:46 AM

741 posts, read 1,387,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Who knows why I ended up with all the bone spurs on right groin. Left groin was smooth on xrays. I know my family members ate lots of sugars/carbs all their lives and no bone spurs. So who really knows WHY stuff happens.
I have heard a Homeopathic Dr. say that Hekla Lava (from Iceland) will dissolve bone spurs.
It was discovered that the goats that nibbled on it lost their bone spurs.
I haven't tried it, but was going to, for bunions. Even the best shoes are not too good.

I have wondered if the doctors who see patients who get knee replacements ever check the alignment of the patient's frame. And if so, do they discover that the person has flat feet with ankle pronation? I have a friend who had ankle pronation so bad that her arch bones were almost touching the floor. And yes, she had both knees replaced. Arch supports years ago would have saved her from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or