Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 05:54 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times

Advertisements

Last night I woke up with some tenderness in my abdomen area...I'm not sure where the appendix is exactly but it may be in that area and near the hip. Currently there's no other symptoms other than tenderness,and possibly some inflammation similar to IBS. Perhaps it's through the entire intestine,not exactly sure.
And of course I've no insurance so I'm trying to self diagnose the best I can,which I've been doing for years.

Any experience with problems in this area and preventatives? I've heard if it's not an accute attack there's a chance you can prevent surgery...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 06:18 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I'm not a medical professional, I'm just trying to help.

To test for appendix I was taught it is the spot between the hip bone and the belly button. Rebound tenderness is common for appendicitis.

And found this:

Rebound tenderness is a widely used examination technique for patients with suspected appendicitis, but it can be quite uncomfortable. An alternative test for peritonitis is termed the pinch-an-inch test. This report describes two patients who presented with mild abdominal pain who subsequently were found to have appendicitis. In both patients, classic peritoneal signs were absent, but the pinch-an-inch test was positive. The experienced physician's bedside clinical examination remains the most critical component for rapidly identifying peritonitis. Although rebound tenderness is a widely used examination, it is uncomfortable and may be inaccurate. To perform the pinch-an-inch test, a fold of abdominal skin over McBurney's point is grasped and elevated away from the peritoneum. The skin is allowed to recoil back briskly against the peritoneum. If the patient has increased pain when the skin fold strikes the peritoneum, the test is positive and peritonitis probably is present.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521231

There are others here who have medical backgrounds
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not a medical professional, I'm just trying to help.

To test for appendix I was taught it is the spot between the hip bone and the belly button. Rebound tenderness is common for appendicitis.

And found this:

Rebound tenderness is a widely used examination technique for patients with suspected appendicitis, but it can be quite uncomfortable. An alternative test for peritonitis is termed the pinch-an-inch test. This report describes two patients who presented with mild abdominal pain who subsequently were found to have appendicitis. In both patients, classic peritoneal signs were absent, but the pinch-an-inch test was positive. The experienced physician's bedside clinical examination remains the most critical component for rapidly identifying peritonitis. Although rebound tenderness is a widely used examination, it is uncomfortable and may be inaccurate. To perform the pinch-an-inch test, a fold of abdominal skin over McBurney's point is grasped and elevated away from the peritoneum. The skin is allowed to recoil back briskly against the peritoneum. If the patient has increased pain when the skin fold strikes the peritoneum, the test is positive and peritonitis probably is present.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521231

There are others here who have medical backgrounds
Awesome...well it's not much near my navel as much as it is off to the side,so hopefully it's not appendix. I'd just have to narrow it down from the many other similar things it could be.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:20 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
As long as you can rule out critical conditions you are fine.

IBS like cramps? Try peppermint oil, peppermint tea

Do you need fiber?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
IBS like cramps? Try peppermint oil, peppermint tea

Do you need fiber?
Yes a little crampy feeling,but I've heard too much fiber can cause cramping as well as the intestines are overstimulated. Btw I have no problems currently with elimination/constipation/diarrhea...

Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Yes a little crampy feeling,but I've heard too much fiber can cause cramping as well as the intestines are overstimulated. Btw I have no problems currently with elimination/constipation/diarrhea...
Too much fiber without enough water is bad. If you have any sort of gastrointestinal tract inflammation, Slippery Elm can REALLY help. Look up the benefits of Slippery Elm. It is very healing and soothing to every part of the digestive tract and beyond beginning with the mouth on down to the anus.The "beyond" are other parts of the body.

Give your stomach a break for a day or two by eating easy- to- digest foods like broth, herbal tea, raw fruit or raw salad. It sounds like it might be in the area of where the colon is. The colon is like an upside down horseshoe. Maybe you could benefit from a self colon massage to loosen stool that could be stuck causing inflammation or a pocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBdWbYakqGo

Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Too much fiber without enough water is bad. If you have any sort of gastrointestinal tract inflammation, Slippery Elm can REALLY help. Look up the benefits of Slippery Elm. It is very healing and soothing to every part of the digestive tract and beyond beginning with the mouth on down to the anus.
Give your stomach a break for a day or two by eating easy- to- digest foods like broth, herbal tea, raw fruit or raw salad. It sounds like it might be in the area of where the colon is. Maybe you could benefit from a self colon massage to loosen stool that could be stuck causing inflammation or a pocket.
I've been into home remedies for years and slippery elm is in one of my supplements,but that's Essiac.

I also live next to a juice bar and occasionally stop in for a smoothie,though I know I should be juicing more often.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Just ignore it, if it gets better no problem, if it gets worse then decide if you need to see a Dr.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times
I credit you for being so calm about having no insurance.
I realize it is likely not your choice, it is just the way it is, in whatever your situation is.

I didn't have insurance for years, about 20 years. I was lucky, did not have any major medical problems.
Now I have Medicare ( for now ) plus a supplement.

But I still try to self-diagnose and self-treat.
I hate doctors!! and the entire medical profession.
doctors are arrogant, they don't listen, and given how little they really know about how the mind/body/spirit work - they have no reason to be so arrogant.

Plus medicare covers very little in the way of "alternative" - which I call real healing.
Medicare covers pharmaceuticals and surgery.

Anyway... sorry -- I do not have an advice re your post -
but just wanted to offer you good luck in staying healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Last night I woke up with some tenderness in my abdomen area...I'm not sure where the appendix is exactly but it may be in that area and near the hip. Currently there's no other symptoms other than tenderness,and possibly some inflammation similar to IBS. Perhaps it's through the entire intestine,not exactly sure.
And of course I've no insurance so I'm trying to self diagnose the best I can,which I've been doing for years.

Any experience with problems in this area and preventatives? I've heard if it's not an accute attack there's a chance you can prevent surgery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine