Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 10:38 AM

268 posts, read 290,238 times

Advertisements

I have osteoarthritis and wonder if that is related at all to my fillings. I've talked to two dentists about removing the old-fashioned fillings and replacing them with porcelain or something; one was willing to do it and the other said it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Wouldn't a homeopathic dentist be a better choice? But there isn't one in my city that I can find, and I'm not at all sure if this is a legitimate approach, anyway.

There appears to be only four MDs (not dentists) in the state of Texas:

http://homeopathyusa.org/companies/b.../89/Texas.html

Old 11-24-2016, 11:30 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
If that was true, wouldn't every person with fillings in their mouths have osteoarthritis?

Old 11-24-2016, 12:55 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
I have osteoarthritis and wonder if that is related at all to my fillings. I've talked to two dentists about removing the old-fashioned fillings and replacing them with porcelain or something; one was willing to do it and the other said it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Wouldn't a homeopathic dentist be a better choice? But there isn't one in my city that I can find, and I'm not at all sure if this is a legitimate approach, anyway.

American Institute of Homeopathy - Member Directory
First, OA isn't related to old fashioned fillings that I know of. I'd be more inclined to believe that RA is related. Many times RA can be traced to an allergy or sensitivity to something--like a food or something in the environment. Unfortunately, most people with RA don't even bother getting tested or trying to figure out what's causing it so we don't know how many people with RA could eliminate it by eliminating the cause.

Next, there is a special protocol for removing amalgam fillings because they contain mercury. The dentist would test the filling (somehow) and there would be filters and air purifiers.

Whether its's true or not, I think amalgam removal for health purposes is banned now but I'm not sure about that. FWIW, I had mine removed a long time ago using the correct protocol. I was trying to see if it would cure CFS. Amalgam removal made absolutely no difference at all. Other people I talked with said it made no difference for them either. ONCE IN A WHILE it does help but that is VERY rare. It does help with the metallic taste in your mouth, of course, and who knows? It may help with some aspect of your health in the long run. Mainstream dentists try to suppress any concern about this question.

What I did learn was that the homeopathic remedies the dentist used were amazing!

I would NEVER go to a dentist who was not an MD. However, based upon my own experience, I would definitely go to a dentist who used homeopathy--just for the homeopathy, not for dental work.

Your amalgam fillings would be replaced with acrylic/plastic fillings. And, as my homeopathic MD dentist said, (I asked about it because I was damaged by high petrochemical exposure=plastic) he was not too sure how good it was to replace a toxin with another toxin, i.e. plastic. I did end up having a bad reaction to the new plastic fillings so he gave me a homeopathic remedy called Detox for Dentals--and to my surprise it worked. These were drops that I had to take sublingually. That plastic "taste/annoying, swollen feeling" in my mouth from the plastic fillings would diminish when I took the drops but it would come back later. I would take more drops and it would go away again for a while. Then, after a few days, the reaction to the plastic was gone.

Crowns that are called "porcelain" actually contain plastic. You would be exchanging one problem for another. I guess if I were you, I might possibly see the homeopathic dentist and get some medicine from him--although since you have OA, not RA, it probably wouldn't make any difference. But I wouldn't get any dental work because it wouldn't make any difference in your health and I'd be afraid of a non MD doing any work on my teeth.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
https://www.homeopathic.com/Articles...u_Smiling.html

Counter to those who have asserted that amalgam fillings release toxic amounts of metals into the body, the Medical Letter, one of the most respected medical newsletters in the U.S., has doubted if the leeching causes any medical problems, except in a very small number of people allergic to the amalgam.

There are other concerns though...nothing is proven...acupuncturists do see the amalgams as causing problems because they look at the body differently, through acupuncture points.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I had a friend who had her old fillings removed and her health is not great. I have enough mercury in my mouth but won't remove them. I deal with lifelong OA, and my knee is giving me grief. Hip replacement in 2010 caused a lot of complications I live with.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:45 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I've had all silver removed from my mouth and been allergy tested.

Still have RA.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-25-2016, 08:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post

American Institute of Homeopathy - Member Directory
I am 67 with a mouth full of restorations of all kinds, crowns, bridges, implants, etc. I do not have arthritis of any kind. OP, I would leave well enough alone. Sometimes disturbing old dental work unnecessarily can open up new cans of worms. I personally believe some of the "mercury scare" is overstated. I have also read that the old fillings quit leaching anything at all after a certain # of years, but if you take it out you are exposed to very large amounts of vapors.

It would be a shame to put yourself through dental work only to find it did nothing, or in fact made things worse.

JMO

Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 AM

268 posts, read 290,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am 67 with a mouth full of restorations of all kinds, crowns, bridges, implants, etc. I do not have arthritis of any kind. OP, I would leave well enough alone. Sometimes disturbing old dental work unnecessarily can open up new cans of worms. I personally believe some of the "mercury scare" is overstated. I have also read that the old fillings quit leaching anything at all after a certain # of years, but if you take it out you are exposed to very large amounts of vapors.

It would be a shame to put yourself through dental work only to find it did nothing, or in fact made things worse.

JMO

Yes, I believe you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.