Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I KNOW that acupuncture can work dramatically. That's from personal experience. I don't even think of acupuncture as alternative but I guess it has to go under the alternative label because no one has been able to prove how it works.

Acupressure, reflexology probably work but I don't know for sure. I don't think they would have such a pronounced effect as acupuncture does. Homeopathy works for certain but only if performed by someone who really, really knows what they are doing. Too many practitioners read a book and think they know what they're doing.

Crystals. I don't think so. I moved away from one place about 20 years ago because, for one thing, I got so tired of all the signs advertising crystal healing. It was like a cult and I really hate to think of someone carrying a stone around, thinking it's helping them to heal.

It might help as much as a shaman used to help the Native Americans, more like a mind over matter effect, placebo, trust, faith.

I'll add one more strange thing that worked (surprisingly) for me: cranial ?? I don't know what you call it but I had a terrible aching pain. The practitioner pressed on different parts of my body and got me talking about things until suddenly I was crying. He asked my why I was crying and I told him of the horrible event that was causing me so much pain. I think he pressed that physically painful area while I was crying and the pain vanished forever. He said I was holding the emotional pain in the nerves? in that area.

THAT (whatever it's called) released the muscle? tension. It even makes sense when you think about it. When we say someone is a "pain in the neck"--you are converting the emotional pain into physical pain. This guy's therapy got to the root of the pain. It was emotionally caused, and he released it somehow.
I agree with your whole post. Acupuncture is great, it can help many things going on in the body.

As far as crystals and gemstones, I also agree. I don't think they do a thing for healing, but I was semi-serious in my earlier post about the diamond. Gems and stones of all types can be comforting and calming to look at or hold. Maybe they do help balance emotional energy. Besides my beautiful diamond ring that I inherited, I have a very large Zuni turquoise ring that I bought on a trip to California in 1973. I had been looking for a nice turquoise ring and bypassed hundreds but when I laid eyes on this one, I knew it was special. I get tons of compliments on that ring and feel that it offers some "protection" somehow. Even if this is only in my mind, the fact is, it is doing something. So gems and crystals have their place, just not so much on a physical level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM

14,206 posts, read 11,474,408 times
One of the saddest stories I remember was about a German woman I interacted with a number of years ago, on an Internet forum. She was a tall, slim, gorgeous blonde who had been a model. She was a vegan, and nothing non-organic ever passed her lips. And, she had a website where she sold healing crystals and gemstones, and wrote articles on meditation, holistic living, natural childbirth, attachment parenting, and that sort of thing.

What happened to this paragon? She died in her 30s of an aggressive brain tumor, leaving her husband and two little boys.

No faith in "healing crystals" from me.

Last edited by saibot; 06-12-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
I don't know anything FOR SURE but the crystals and gemstones are beautiful and if they bring on energy then I'm open to them. I use a pendulum and it's got beautiful gems and rose quartz to it and to me, Something good about using it comes to me.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM

12,657 posts, read 14,791,500 times
I have the opportunity to attend this gem fair in a couple weeks, but if I don't end up going, no big deal, in fact, I'm leaning towards NO. But since I've never gone before, it might be nice just to see. I wouldn't plan on being there any more than a couple of hrs, if that.

Wow, sad story saibot. Again, I personally don't depend on them, but to me, if it's a small part of every little bit helping in conjunction w/ many things (prayer to God, good diet, exercise, meditation, patting, etc., then fine & that's it.)

Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I have the opportunity to attend this gem fair in a couple weeks, but if I don't end up going, no big deal, in fact, I'm leaning towards NO. But since I've never gone before, it might be nice just to see. I wouldn't plan on being there any more than a couple of hrs, if that.

Wow, sad story saibot. Again, I personally don't depend on them, but to me, if it's a small part of every little bit helping in conjunction w/ many things (prayer to God, good diet, exercise, meditation, patting, etc., then fine & that's it.)
It's always nice to see how the other world lives and views things. While living in No. Cal. I attended some dowsing meetings and met a lot of people in the pendulum dowsing world. I've attended Health Expos in So Cal many times over the years. There were some booths with gemstones etc. Psychic oriented people. Lots of info out there when one's mind is open.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM

This is cont'd from my recent thread on Gemstones / Healing Stones:
Gemstones / Healing Stones Anyone?? - ProTeacher Community

I visited a couple of gem stores and one employee said that certain gems contain asbestos but are only harmful if you do something like file/grind up the stone and inhale or ingest it, but it still got me thinking...I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which gems & so-called "healing stones" contain harmful ingredients.

For example, in doing the little bit Googling I've done, here are a few of many sites out there about the toxicity of gems:

https://www.healingcrystals.com/Crys...cles_1009.html

Crystal Guidance Article: Crystal Caution List

Potentially Toxic or Harmful Crystals.

For many, it even says something as simple as NOT to get certain stones wet.

I have a lapis lazuil bracelet I specifically got from this healing gem store, but sites like the above say it may contain pyrite, copper, & sulphur. I think I'm going to throw this bracelet away. Good thing it was just $6. I can't just keep something like that in my home & continue to wear it, knowing this info, especially when I originally got it in hopes that it's something good/positive.

What does everyone think about this? I was going to go to this gem faire (for the 1st time), but I don't know about any of this now. There's too much unknown to me about this whole topic.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,461,518 times
https://www.crystalvaults.com/crysta...opedia/peridot

Well, I looked up my own birthstone which I wear every day. Too bad I don't really believe it does anything. I wear it because it belonged to my mother and was also her birthstone so it makes me happy.

Lapis lazuli does contain pyrite--I think that's the gold flecks that you can see in good quality stones. I have a necklace of lapis. It has exactly no effect on my health, lol. (that I know of anyway.)

I think these websites say that you have to "work" with the gems. To me, it's superstition from ancient times. Who knows? It might be fun to play around with the idea but I know for certain that when I'm sick there is no way I'm going to meditate on a stone and think it will heal me of anything physical.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM

14,830 posts, read 11,970,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I don't think I ever met a gemstone I didn't like, I've always been attracted to the sparklies and rainbows emitted from faceted stones, as well as the glow from cabochon cut gemstones. Although I've generally considered them in jewelry, that might be because I'd get to look at them and reflect on their beauty. Who knows, there may be a healing, calming, invigorating energy that eminates from these stones, but perhaps we have to be open or receptive in some special way to benefit from these energies.

As I believe we have to be receptive to whatever healing powers there may be in the other practices mentioned by other posters. I've heard that acupuncture has good effects on a number of conditions, and certainly think that other practices such as reflexology, reikii and so on might help the folks who engage in them if they're open to the suggestions and believe they will help.
. The placebo effect is a powerful one, and I'm a firm believer that one's own mind and psyche is a definitive factor in helping someone get better, or improve their health in even just a small way, but often a big way too. If those practices help someone even just by aligning their minds to healing thoughts, there is no telling how this helps the immune system, and other body systems to fight those conditions and diseases.

But for those of us who tend to be skeptics (and that's unfortunate sometimes), those methods probably won't do much. My sister, a nurse whose been into alternative medicine for a long time, bills herself as a Master Reikii Something or Other and pushes reikii to anyone who will listen to her. One time when I was visiting them, I had an abscessed tooth that I ended up having a root canal on (I was on vacation, fortunately my mother's dentist and his dad the endodontist took pity on me and treated in, then did the root canal, I call it my "souvenier root canal"). It was intensely painful before, and for a few days after the root canal, and since I don't do well with narcotic pain meds, I was taking Motrin around the clock to help it.

My sister offered to do a reikii session on me, thought that would help the pain, and I let her do it. Well, I tried my darndest to feel that healing energy as she ran her hands over wherever it was, but I just didn't feel anything. I felt bad because she was so convinced that would help my pain, and I wanted it to, honestly. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so when she asked me about it, acknowledging that it didn't do much for me, I told her, "well, I don't feel any worse."

Old 07-01-2017, 09:36 PM

I bought a nice-sized unakite. Also a bloodstone and larimar. The 4th stone on my list was jade, but I couldn't find the right one for a reasonable price.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:07 AM

10,585 posts, read 12,009,720 times
bumping this up to get more comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine