Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Good for you. But 95%+ do not see a nutritionist. They just listen to the words of wisdom from the doctor - "remember to eat a good diet and exercise," which is worthless pablum.
Because you feel most people aren't smart enough to know what that means.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
For every 1,000 people who have heart attacks, how many are the correct weight for their height (or slightly overweight), exercise (just a 20 minute walk everyday), limit (but not eliminate) junk food, don't smoke, and don't take statins (irrespective of their cholesterol)? My guess 1%.

Two in the last year for me (they were 50 and younger). One just came back from FBI training and was very physically fit, matter of fact he dropped dead on the track, the other was a paddler (paddles the Molokai Channel) also very physically fit, heart attack, held on for 5 days and then gone. Also lost a friend who was a contractor (very physical) at 47. None of these guys were over weight, or smoked.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-23-2017, 11:54 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Good for you. But 95%+ do not see a nutritionist. They just listen to the words of wisdom from the doctor - "remember to eat a good diet and exercise," which is worthless pablum.
I disagree that doctors do not make referrals to nutritionists. Many people know good and well what they need to change about their diets. With the time constraints due to low insurance reimbursement the only way you are going to have a doctor sit with you for an hour and discuss what specific foods to eat is go to one who has a concierge practice. You will pay for that privilege.

Quote:
For every 1,000 people who have heart attacks, how many are the correct weight for their height (or slightly overweight), exercise (just a 20 minute walk everyday), limit (but not eliminate) junk food, don't smoke, and don't take statins (irrespective of their cholesterol)? My guess 1%.

Same with Type 2 diabetes - 1%. Same with high blood pressure.

But doctors don't tell you this. They don't tell you about possible short-term and long-term side effects of stains. They don't tell you that insulin makes you fat, and although you can live a full life with insulin, your life will deteriorate. They don't tell you about the side effects of blood pressure drugs.

The natural alternative should be pounded into the heads of patients.

But it's not. Insulin, metformin, statins and this drug are pumped and pushed. We are a prescription drug addiction nation. Too bad. But it keeps Big Pharma, Big Hospital, Big Drug Store, Big Junk Food, and Big Doctor fat and happy.
This just shows you have absolutely no idea what doctors tell patients. They do discuss diet. They do discuss exercise. Patients just do not do what their doctors advise them to do.

Diet and exercise will not cure all diabetes and hypertension. They are recommended for all patients with diabetes and hypertension.

You greatly exaggerate the risk of adverse effects from medications, including those for hypertension and statins. The fact is that the vast majority of people treated with statins and antihypertensive medications do not have side effects from them. They are just not all over the internet posting in chat forums about how well they are doing on their medications.

Are you really advocating that insulin dependent diabetics not take insulin? That really shows how little you know about diabetes. If your pancreas does not make insulin, and you do not take insulin, you end up dead.

Every pharmacy will give you information on every drug you take when you pick up the medication. The pharmacist would be happy to answer any questions you have. The only way to be ignorant about what you are taking is to deliberately ignore the printed material you are given and refuse to ask questions.

Yes, lifestyle changes are pounded into the heads of patients. The doctor cannot force the patient to implement them, though.

Quote:
The drug pushers will claim that everyone suffering from statins is caused by the "nocebo" effect. It's in their minds!

But when psychiatric drugs "work" (and many come with horrible side effects), it's not the placebo effect, it's always the drug! Anti-depressants are not over-prescribed and they work! BS. The cure for most depression is a hike in the woods.

Funny how that works.
I presented a study that documented the nocebo effect in action. You may deny it exists but that does not make it go away. The study does not deny that statins have any adverse effects, but it shows that pain in particular that begins after a patient is placed on a statin may be due to the nocebo effect.

Your ignorance about depression is a topic for another thread. I will point out that every antidepressant medication is tested against placebo. If it does not perform better than placebo it does not get approved.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Are you really advocating that insulin dependent diabetics not take insulin? That really shows how little you know about diabetes. If your pancreas does not make insulin, and you do not take insulin, you end up dead.
Did I say that? I know the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. But even Type 1's can greatly reduce the amount of insulin they need by following a ketogenic diet.

Ever read the book The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein? He is an 80+ healthy as a horse Type 1 diabetic. He wrote the book in the 90's and was probably laughed at. It is now the gold standard (unless you work for the ADA, where apparently they think that roller coaster blood sugar is not a terrible thing, and Bernstein is person non grata).

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Did I say that? I know the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. But even Type 1's can greatly reduce the amount of insulin they need by following a ketogenic diet.

Ever read the book The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein? He is an 80+ healthy as a horse Type 1 diabetic. He wrote the book in the 90's and was probably laughed at. It is now the gold standard (unless you work for the ADA, where apparently they think that roller coaster blood sugar is not a terrible thing, and Bernstein is person non grata).
What you said was, "They don't tell you that insulin makes you fat, and although you can live a full life with insulin, your life will deteriorate."

Your anecdote about Bernstein sort of contradicts that, doesn't it?

Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I took a look at the diet. It's so restrictive he even has a section titled "SO WHAT’S LEFT TO EAT?" I looked at that section and the answer is ... nothing very appetizing. What I would like to know is the dropout rate for people who try it. He does not seem to address that issue.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2...-the-research/

"SO WHAT SHOULD I EAT?!?!

The bottom line is that different diets are working for different people. Many of the low-carbohydrate diets had high dropout rates and 40% that stick with it don’t see better blood sugars. But 60% can make it work with great results. On the flip side, some successfully reduced their HbA1cs on high carbohydrate diets."

"In the end, the diet that’s best is the one that works for you. The ADA’s official position, that each person should have an individualized diet, is strongly backed by the evidence."

A diet that is so restrictive that it is unpalatable is going to fail with a lot of people, who will prefer to take medication rather than forgo entire major food groups.

No, the Bernstein approach is not the "gold standard" when 60% of people who try very low carb are unable to stick with it.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
What you said was, "They don't tell you that insulin makes you fat, and although you can live a full life with insulin, your life will deteriorate."

Your anecdote about Bernstein sort of contradicts that, doesn't it?
Do you work for Big Pharma?

Bernstein would be a big fat guy (if he were lucky to be alive) had he followed the ADA diet since diagnosed when he was a young man. Because he needs MUCH LESS insulin, he has thrived.

You obviously have an agenda.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I took a look at the diet. It's so restrictive he even has a section titled "SO WHAT’S LEFT TO EAT?" I looked at that section and the answer is ... nothing very appetizing. What I would like to know is the dropout rate for people who try it. He does not seem to address that issue.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2...-the-research/

"SO WHAT SHOULD I EAT?!?!

The bottom line is that different diets are working for different people. Many of the low-carbohydrate diets had high dropout rates and 40% that stick with it don’t see better blood sugars. But 60% can make it work with great results. On the flip side, some successfully reduced their HbA1cs on high carbohydrate diets."

"In the end, the diet that’s best is the one that works for you. The ADA’s official position, that each person should have an individualized diet, is strongly backed by the evidence."

A diet that is so restrictive that it is unpalatable is going to fail with a lot of people, who will prefer to take medication rather than forgo entire major food groups.

No, the Bernstein approach is not the "gold standard" when 60% of people who try very low carb are unable to stick with it.
Let's see. Meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy, avocados, tons of green veggies, low-carb nuts, berries with whipped cream. And of course you can treat yourself to grains, refined sugar and starches, just not a lot.

High carbohydrate diet? If you are talking about a plant-based vegan diet, yes. But unlike Bernstein's diet, maybe 1% can do a plant-based diet.

A diet of low-fat bagels and pasta will keep you diabetic forever.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:

So THAT's why the rate of T2 diabetes is falling so dramatically in the US. Strongly backed by the ADA's evidence. Thank God for the ADA.

What? T2 rates are skyrocketing? Insulin sales are soaring? T2's are fatter than ever? How can that be, given that most follow the "evidence based" diet provided by the illustrious and well respected ADA diet? Please fill me in.

With respect to not following the Bernstein's diet, you don't have to do it 100%. But it boggles my mind that there are so many people who would rather inject insulin, be fat/obese, and have slowly deteriorating health, than give up most of their cake, donuts and nacho chips. Incredible weakness and stupidity.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:

Actually, people with no elevated risk factors for MI ( non-diabetic, chol level <160mg%, no smoking, normotensive) still have 4 in 1000 chance of having an MI each yr.

Hi chol increases the risk to 8/1000-- twice the risk!!!-- but it only changes the chance on NOT having an MI from 996/1000 to 992/1000. Big deal.

Smoking increases the risk to something like 40/1000, and diabetes to ~60/1000, but smoking & diabetes is up like 80/1000. (My memory may be faulty on details here, but those are ballpark figures.)

Re: Junk Food: your liver doesn't know if that glucose it's getting from your intestines came from "healthy" grapes or "unhealthy" Twinkies. "Processed sugar" is merely sucrose (a combination of glucose & fructose) that was made in a sugarcane or sugar beet plant and isolated at the processing plant by dissolving the chopped up plant in water and evaporating the fluid off by boiling. Would it still be "junk food" if you chewed on the sugarcane or beet itself?

What makes some things junk food is that they contain little else besides the sugar-- some fat, little protein, no vitamins or minerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine