Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 PM

472 posts, read 347,676 times

Advertisements

What do you all think about marijuana becoming legal in several states? I don't use it because I'm afraid of repercussions since we can still be drug tested. However, do we think it's better than alcohol? I know it's far less dangerous is ways it doesn't make you black out as much. But what is keeping the US from taking it off schedule 1?? Is there something we don't know about? Does it cause people to go crazy after like 10 years of daily use? I know people who are prone to schizophrenia should avoid it by what I've read. If I would use it, it would only be used twice a week like I currently do alcohol. I think there would be a lot less violence and people could have the choice not to use it since it's not as addictive. People that can't handle alcohol very well would also have another choice for a little relaxation every now and then. I want to say I'm for it but are there lot's of things about we don't know?? Sometimes it just baffles me that it's being made legal in some states but the DEA won't even lower it to schedule 2.

I also think it's time for a different choice for a relaxation. DUI laws are now much more strict in many areas, with technology use so frequent, it's hard to erase drunken words put on any media. It's also not so fun when many states can give you a drunk driving charge with just 3 drinks in an hour or two depending on body weight. I'm not for drunk driving but many aren't completely plastered or impaired after 3 drinks in two hours. I don't know, I'm still up on the air with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I just ordered some CBD drops for chronic pain. We'll see how that goes. CA is very close to going with MJ for everything. We've had medical MJ for years but going full boar soon.

I don't drink anymore, but know the penalities are great for DUI's....I think back to my days of drinking and driving and omg, thank goodness I never got stopped. I didn't drink a lot but it doesn't take a lot for my body.

I'm against driving and drinking and smoking... Drink at home and stay home...same with smoking MJ. Stay at home with it. I don't want to inhale anything in my lungs but clean air.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
What do you all think about marijuana becoming legal in several states? I don't use it because I'm afraid of repercussions since we can still be drug tested. However, do we think it's better than alcohol? I know it's far less dangerous is ways it doesn't make you black out as much. But what is keeping the US from taking it off schedule 1?? Is there something we don't know about? Does it cause people to go crazy after like 10 years of daily use? I know people who are prone to schizophrenia should avoid it by what I've read. If I would use it, it would only be used twice a week like I currently do alcohol. I think there would be a lot less violence and people could have the choice not to use it since it's not as addictive. People that can't handle alcohol very well would also have another choice for a little relaxation every now and then. I want to say I'm for it but are there lot's of things about we don't know?? Sometimes it just baffles me that it's being made legal in some states but the DEA won't even lower it to schedule 2.

I also think it's time for a different choice for a relaxation. DUI laws are now much more strict in many areas, with technology use so frequent, it's hard to erase drunken words put on any media. It's also not so fun when many states can give you a drunk driving charge with just 3 drinks in an hour or two depending on body weight. I'm not for drunk driving but many aren't completely plastered or impaired after 3 drinks in two hours. I don't know, I'm still up on the air with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
It is legal in California, and I have been a medical marijuana patient since last year. So I hope to give you the benefit of some of my experience.

First of all, I think MJ is a lot better than alcohol. Both are intoxicants, but MJ doesn't impair your reflexes, loosen your inhibitions or dull your common sense in the same way that alcohol does. It's also a lot easier on your liver. I would never advocate using any psychoactive substance before driving, but I believe that someone who is mildly buzzed on MJ is going to be a better driver than a drunk. My own experience is that I would prefer not to drive at all under the influence. But on the few occasions when I needed to drive, I was the slowest, most observant, most careful driver on the road.

Second, I'd like to say that not everybody should use cannabis (which is the preferred term). People with mental health issues such as schizophrenia should not use it as it can exacerbate their symptoms. And there are some people who can't use it because it affects them badly. And everyone's tolerance is different, so newbies should start off with very small amounts and wait to see how it affects them as the effects can creep up on you.

Young people (under 21) should absolutely not use cannabis. Their brains are not yet completely mature. Studies have shown that it can affect the immature brain and can cause cognitive problems, loss of intelligence and substance abuse issues. The younger a person starts, the more likely that cannabis use will cause problems later on.

Though I myself have not found cannabis to be addictive, it can be addictive both physically and psychologically for some people despite the common belief that it's not. Go to any cannabis forum and you'll see threads written by people who want to quit but can't, or who have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when they do. However, I don't think there is much risk of addiction for adults who use it occasionally in moderation. The people who complain about withdrawal always seem to be "wake and bake" types who started using it heavily at a young age.

There is a lot we don't know yet about cannabis because of its DEA classification as a Schedule I drug. This means that the Federal government will not allow serious scientific research. In their view, cannabis has no medical benefits. Anyone who's been paying attention knows that this is false, but the DEA isn't likely to change its mind any time soon. Until then, we can't know for sure how many legitimate medical uses there may be or what the risks and benefits are. We have to rely on anecdotes, word of mouth and personal experience.

My personal experience is that cannabis is helpful for relaxation and sleep and can also relieve pain (sativa strains). I use it every night for insomnia. Because I don't like to smoke (the fumes can be harsh), I use mostly edibles and tinctures that I buy at dispensaries. These take longer to kick in (up to two hours), but the effects last longer. For immediate relief, I use a vaporizer. Vaporizers don't burn the material but heat it just to the point where the fumes containing cannabis are released as a vapor. It's easier on the lungs.

I am grateful to have the opportunity to use cannabis for relaxation and sleep, and I will freely admit that it's also enjoyable on its own, like having a glass of wine or a cocktail. Making it legal is an important step toward getting cannabis off the street, regulating the industry and educating the public so that people who use it can do so safely and responsibly. It should be treated like cigarettes and alcohol, sold by authorized retailers to adults only.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM

p.s. I just read the jaminhealth's reply, and I'd like to add that I also use CBD oil. It is said to enhance the benefits of cannabis (and by that, I don't mean it gets you higher!). It's called "the entourage effect." CBD oil is not psychoactive on its own because it contains little or no THC, but many people swear by it for inflammation, spasms, pain and other things. It's quite expensive, though, and there's a lot of inferior product out there so you have to buy from a reputable retailer that uses whole plant extracts and produces a pharmaceutical-grade product.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 PM

Very helpful and honest!! Very well put and I agree with everything you said! I wish they could take it off schedule 1 so they could research it more. It just amazes me with all these states legalizing it and it won't go down a notch.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 AM

I am sure that when cannabis is removed from Schedule I, research will find many medical uses for this very beneficial drug (or "plant," if you prefer). It has been used as medicine for thousands of years by many different cultures, but the legal prohibition (and "reefer madness" hysteria) happened relatively recently, only since the 1930s. The Feds need to get their heads out of their posteriors.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Congress is who we need to lobby to get cannabis of the drug schedule. The DEA are only enforcers of the law.

Congress gave the DEA the job of enforcing such laws.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't want to inhale anything in my lungs but clean air.
You should probably move then :-D

Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
There is actually quite a bit of scientific literature on THC, CBD etc. Not as much as there would be without the restrictions but it is still out there.

I certainly wouldn't smoke it since the combustion and consequent hydrocarbon chemicals lead to airway irritants and some studies suggest either chronic lung inflammation and possibly lung cancer.

Taken orally etc., or vaporized if you wish to inhale, would be a much better and less risky bet.

As for the entourage effect - I have not seen evidence (I might well have missed it) that CBD provides this. The entourage effect is mainly understood to come from the terpenes in MJ synergizing with the non-terpenes - such as THC or CBD.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Good posts! I just get a little wired when it can still be drug tested, it's still against the law, but then you can buy it. So basically the only way to use it without being paranoid is to own your own business, or work in a place where it's used or encouraged. Otherwise, employees have to be really quiet about it. And even if you have a job that allows it and you need to get another job, suppose they drug test. It seems as though a lot of job postings don't say whether or not they drug test for cannabis. My guess it that our country is seeing how people react to it in the states that it's legal before they go full blown to legalize it. It would be nice if these legal states took THC away from the standard drug test, so then more people could use it. Then we could really see in a couple of years how it effects society and have a better answer. Because I don't think we have seen the effects with as many people using it compared to as many people who use alcohol. Edibles and very high concentration items need better education because all it takes it someone to go to the store, have no experience, eat too many goodies because they don't like smoke, and be in panic for the next several hours, call the EMT's ect. I've heard some interesting stories with edibles when people with no experience think they can eat like two or three cookies worth and be fine. I unfortunately think too many people are fearful to use it, even in the legal states because of repercussions, or won't talk if they use because they don't want their job or reputation ruined.

Last edited by Educator1982; 07-20-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine