Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:43 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

A really good egg at work told me she was diagnosed with breast cancer and she will be going in for surgery. She says they think it might have spread. I think she is living in a bit of denial but... I am sad.

She wants to know why she got it and I wanted to bring up Vitamin D. She happens to be latino and dark and also, has to work inside all day. She works at the front desk so rarely gets to go out.

But, I know... it won't be listened to. That is the worst part.. you see someone going to die.. you can do something to help... they won't listen because of the brainwashing.

So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:45 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Just be her friend, that means a lot & can help her get through the treatments.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:18 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
A really good egg at work told me she was diagnosed with breast cancer and she will be going in for surgery. She says they think it might have spread. I think she is living in a bit of denial but... I am sad.

She wants to know why she got it and I wanted to bring up Vitamin D. She happens to be latino and dark and also, has to work inside all day. She works at the front desk so rarely gets to go out.

But, I know... it won't be listened to. That is the worst part.. you see someone going to die.. you can do something to help... they won't listen because of the brainwashing.

So sad.
Yes, very sad and even though a person is dark skin it takes a lot more for the sun to absorb into the body and yes they can be very Vit D deficient. Breast cancer is one of the cancers where a lot of grape seed ex has been researched and worked with. Too too bad SO MANY don't know about it. I just put my social worker onto it yesterday for allergies, gave her a bottle of my stock to get her started.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Iodine, iodine, iodine! Iodine is the key missing ingredient for breast cancer prevention.

Kelp is the best by far. Followed by Lugol's iodine, and then potassium iodide (potentially useless for breast cancer). Just tell her to eat lots of kelp. And balance this with seleno-cysteine.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:21 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:

So sad.
There probably is no "answer" as to why she got it....bad things happen. The majority of cases have no family history, genetic component, or risk factors and probably no way to connect it directly on a lack of vitamin D or any one single cause. Most women I know who have it or were in the support groups I attended go through a phase when they really question what they did or didn't do to end up with it. It is pretty useless to agonize and search for an answer at this point. Its here. The situation has changed from prevention to response. Why add guilt or hindsight doubts to an already sad situation? Also remember that there are several different types of breast cancer that may have very different underlying roots.

The most important thing she needs right now is your support, not your well-intentioned speculation that will add to her anxiety. She is overwhelmed and frightened. She isn't necessarily going to die from this, at least not soon unless it has metastasized widely. Her oncologist will be able to give her more information about the specific type she has based on the tissue biopsy, present treatment choices. Once she has this she can do her own research about traditional treatment, alternative treatment, supportive treatments, etc. She's facing a lot of hard decisions and she will settle on what feels best for her. That is everyone's right. You really cannot preach, you can provide well-founded information that she can follow up on.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-16-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
There probably is no "answer" as to why she got it....bad things happen. The majority of cases have no family history, genetic component, or risk factors and probably no way to connect it directly on a lack of vitamin D or any one single cause. Most women I know who have it or were in the support groups I attended go through a phase when they really question what they did or didn't do to end up with it. It is pretty useless to agonize and search for an answer at this point. Its here. .

And this is the kind of thinking that makes it so I can't offer up Vitamin D which, I believe, quite strongly will not only help her avoid it in the future but could even help destroy this round.

I refuse to offer support while my friend dies. But your brainwashing and stubborn need to control the conversation make it so I can't tell her something which might help her because she won't believe me. Sad.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:44 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
And this is the kind of thinking that makes it so I can't offer up Vitamin D which, I believe, quite strongly will not only help her avoid it in the future but could even help destroy this round.

I refuse to offer support while my friend dies. But your brainwashing and stubborn need to control the conversation make it so I can't tell her something which might help her because she won't believe me. Sad.

Not offering support is a very selfish move, IMO.

If you feel the vitamin D will help her, give her a bottle as a gift. Mention you think it is a helpful vitamin. Put it in a nice gift bag. I think she would appreciate it.

Last edited by evening sun; 09-16-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Iodine, iodine, iodine! Iodine is the key missing ingredient for breast cancer prevention.

Kelp is the best by far. Followed by Lugol's iodine, and then potassium iodide (potentially useless for breast cancer). Just tell her to eat lots of kelp. And balance this with seleno-cysteine.
Good god, I've been talking about Iodine and grape seed ex since I got here at C-D. I've been taking drops of Iosol for years and when I've missed my daily dose for a while, I will get breast pains and I never miss a 2-3 drop dose daily.

Iodine Phobia

I don't get the best results with kelp, and when I found Dr. David Williams discussion on Iosol it felt like the best place to go. Then books came out about Iodine Deficiency.

Believe a lot of these breast cancers can be prevented with the correct supplements.

I'd bet $$$ the conventional medical MD's never go to the Iodine issue. Never....
Cancer is Big Business, period.

Breast Cancer and Iodine

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-16-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Why am I trying to control the conversation? All I was trying to offer were some suggestions for helping your "good egg". Having been in your friend's situation and mindset myself, I have a sense for what she may even be able to hear at this point. A lot of new stuff will be thrown at her. The last thing she needs is to be lectured.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Not offering support is a very selfish move, IMO.

If you feel the vitamin D will help her, give her a bottle as a gift. Mention you think it is a helpful vitamin. Put it in a nice gift bag. I think she would appreciate it.
This is a great tactful idea. She can use it or not and it certainly won't hurt. Its her decision and she'll know you care about HER, not some personal crusade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine