Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM

14,934 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know a couple of mine take fish oil. /shrug

I can't imagine why you think they would lie about something so silly.
I always thought the medical establishment recommended taking fish oil capsules for healthy lipid levels, control of blood pressure and other benefits (that or eating fish several days per week). Me, I swear by krill oil, which has done a great job on my lipid levels and you don't get those fishy burps that sometimes come from the fish oil caps.

But I don't think I've ever inquired of any physician I've seen what supplements (or anything else for thag matter) they take.

Although my primary doc did tell me, IIRC, that she takes Vitamin D capsules as her levels tend to run low.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Unless the doctor or chiropractor is selling the supplements for just a few percentage over their costs, I'm running the other way. There's a reason why MD's can't sell prescription drugs. The same should apply to supplements.

I would rather here them say, take X brand of fish oil. You can get it on-line or any drug store chain.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
Since we are talking assumptions, mine would be that most traditional, mainstream doctors do not take supplements - the reason I deduce that is that most of them are into allopathic medicine - treating symptoms - and aren't aware or savvy enough to comprehend that tackling core deficiencies might be helpful.

I have had doctors tell me that vitamins aren't necessary - that they are superfluous. I think that is probably a common opinion.

They aren't trained in health and subscribe to "snake oil" conspiracy theories (again, all assumptions and opinions, obviously).

Old 10-01-2017, 06:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If a doctor believes a supplement is so beneficial that he takes it himself he is not going to withhold that information from patients just so they will be sick. That very idea is ridiculous.
So sexist.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Since we are talking assumptions, mine would be that most traditional, mainstream doctors do not take supplements - the reason I deduce that is that most of them are into allopathic medicine - treating symptoms - and aren't aware or savvy enough to comprehend that tackling core deficiencies might be helpful.

I have had doctors tell me that vitamins aren't necessary - that they are superfluous. I think that is probably a common opinion.

They aren't trained in health and subscribe to "snake oil" conspiracy theories (again, all assumptions and opinions, obviously).
Its a common opinion because its true...unless one has dietary restrictions and a documented SPECIFIC vitamin deficiency then vitamins ARE SUPERFLUOUS....

If someone has a vitamin DEFICIENCY then of course "supplementing" makes sense and tackling "core deficiencies" is a cornerstone of mainstream medicine

But lets be honest in the alternative realm where diseases aren't treated or cured "supplements' aren't taken for a "deficiency" they are taken over and above what is typically necessary and ascribed MAGICAL properties that can't be proven (or rather the manufacturers deign not to even try to prove the claims they make since that would be bad for business)

One thing that isn't an opinion....lack of oversight in the supplement industry means that in many instances those "magical supplements" are often bogus to begin with

Last week, the New York State attorney general’s office uncovered another example of what appeared to be widespread fraud in the dietary supplement industry. The office accused four of the country’s biggest retail stores of selling herbal products that in many cases were contaminated or did not contain any of the herb listed on the label.
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/107141/

Old 10-04-2017, 07:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The OP brings this up as the pharma gang here are so against supplements and some of them are "in the industry themselves"... That's why. My info is forever being debated and attacked by those who are "against" them.
Are you talking about supplements shown by medicine to work - many of them the result of medical research (where do you think all the vitamin info we have originally came from? How vitamins were originally identified?). Or are you talking about made up crap like shark cartilage powder and lawn cuttings extract?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Its medical science, in the last 80 years - that's identified pretty much all the dietary and pathological deficiencies or inability to process and metabolize, sequester or utilize. It didn't come from staring into crystals or just making up stuff off the top of ones head. So how did you come up with that half-baked theory? I guess because you are so savvy.

Of course the irony is when people selling magic want to make it sound more legit and serious they incorporate scientific terms in even convenient scientific tidbits in there promotional literature and sales rap.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 AM

282 posts, read 232,703 times
Every MD I've been to in the past decade has recommended supplements for certain things and tell me that they take them, or someone in their family takes them, or the nurse in the office takes them, for those things. My supplement needs are pretty common so these stories from the doctors aren't giving advice on supplementing to cure sickness. Just normal deficiencies or commonly known treatments for mild symptoms with real actual science behind it.

D3 with calcium in winter to combat low levels diagnosed with nutrition panel blood test, because low levels can contribute to SAD triggers.
A regular multi-vitamin if you aren't able to eat healthy foods for a period of time.
Fish oil post-surgery to prevent blood clots.
Valerian root instead of Valium or Xanax, if you don't mind the smell or taste when you burp it up and your source is certified and reliable.
Drinking chamomile tea to destress after a rough day at work.

All of the above have been suggested to me or mentioned to me by MDs who have used them, or have people working on their staff who have used them.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know a couple of mine take fish oil. /shrug

I can't imagine why you think they would lie about something so silly.
I agree, to me things like taking fish oil or maybe some other such thing isn't quite the same as suppliments in my book. I am not quite sure what the point of this posting is anyway. Smilies

Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
I honestly don't care what supplements my doctors take or not - that's their business. I do know that my own doctors have advised that I take vitamin D3, calcium supplements, and fish/krill oil supplements. I also asked about using glucosamine and chondroitin supplements when I went to my orthopedic doctor, and in his words, "It couldn't hurt."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine