Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just thinking about this topic since there is a post on H&W and a friend just recently had G.B. removed due to surgery to remove tumor, she had part of stomach removed too. A major 9 hr surgery. Some are necessary surgeries.

Crohn's Disease and IBS - Why To Never Have Your Gall Bladder Removed

I have a post here on Bile Acids and I've been taking them for a couple months now and my bowel activity is so improved. I have my G.B.

https://truebalancewellness.com/unne...adder-surgery/
What a load of crap.

As many as 1/3rd of pts with Crohn's get gall stones, so stones don't cause Crohn's.

If your gall bladder in so necessary, why do so many pts do so well without it?

Getting gall stones has nothing to do with diet: it has to do with genetics and the factors that determine the solubility of your bile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,807 times
I had over a year of gallbladder attacks due to stones and then got mine out - I haven't had any pain since. I'd rather slit my own throat than deal with the pain of those attacks.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If it's "working good" why do you need to take bile acids?
To keep it working good and to keep me more regular. I've had a history of bowel issues and the bile acids are making a NICE difference. Read up on them, and a friend who had G.B. removed in a major surgery recently is taking a pharma bile acid drug, she told me the name but I forget it. She has major diarrehea since the G.B. loss and lost a lot of weight thru this all.

And remember me, I'm the one who got into Prevention Medicine in my 50's....and something tells me MOST here are in their 50-60's give or take. I talk about my age and not many others do and so what...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-09-2017 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That's not the point.

If you made one gallstone, you'll make more in the future. An obstructed bile duct causing rupture of the gallbladder has an extremely high mortality rate. Once you're in there (the danger in surgery is not the procedure, but the risk of anesthesia) take the whole thing out and minimize the risk of future problems. [Yes, you can get ductal stones after the gallbladder is gone, but it's rare.]

Yep!! I had a bile duct blockage about 10 years later.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
What a load of crap.

As many as 1/3rd of pts with Crohn's get gall stones, so stones don't cause Crohn's.

If your gall bladder in so necessary, why do so many pts do so well without it?

Getting gall stones has nothing to do with diet: it has to do with genetics and the factors that determine the solubility of your bile.
If it's genetics, then I'm OK, I guess. I don't recall any family members talking about G.B. and stones etc.

Now arthritis is another thing in my genetic line. Mom and her sisters lived with OA.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And I also find it interesting that they don't even ASK if you have had some kind of surgery which changes basic things about you, and may make stuff they give you useless.
I have never had an MD who didn't ask about prior surgery! Maybe you missed the question on their basic charting forms?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I have never had an MD who didn't ask about prior surgery! Maybe you missed the question on their basic charting forms?
It is on new patient EVERY medical form unless you are going to some quack.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2017, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
They didn't ask much at all. That my prior surgery had not worked right, and the way it got 'fixed' just increased the problem is evidence to me that this jerk didn't care.

I understand that there is an assumption that without some kind of report, they might wonder. But all that had been over a decade before, in a different state, which I'm sure meant it wasn't important to them.

I was ask some quesitons, but none about the history of the effected 'parts' and how they had worked or not worked. When I went back after the surgery I showed him how all the skin was being pulled on so tight you could tell. That isn't supposed to happen. He just shurgged.

Should I ever need a surgeon here, he will NOT be the one. I really regretted not calling a lawyer and seeing about suing him.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,336,268 times
In my case, a bad gallbladder is genetic. My mother had hers removed, I have had mine removed and my daughter has had hers removed.

I didn't fit the profile and neither did my daughter. I was in my 30's and skinny as a rail. My daughter was in her late 20's. My mother was in her 40's and weight was an issue with her.

My daughter and I both had the laparoscopic procedure. My mother had hers done before that was even on the horizon.

The pain that I went through was so freakin' intense through those attacks.

As far as bowel movements, soft stools but not diarrhea. No issues.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:14 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
I had mine removed at 27, while pregnant because it was so bad...I'm 70 now, I never have the pain anymore but I do take digestive tabs like betaine hydrochloride sometimes. Other people can have too much acid, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine