Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Agree that darkness helps the body/mind slow down and triggers melatonin production. However, these are not similar effects. Meditation helps with sleep, but also with an overall sense of peace and inner strength during the day. Melatonin can do the opposite during the day, giving a drowsiness sensation to some.
Boy this is so true on the meditation, it's a power up protocol. And unless one does not meditate, they have no idea. My neighbor does some shopping for me and she brought some stuff to me last evening and she was so UP and she's late 60's, and said she did quite a bit of meditation during the day. Her husband is heading into what she feels is dementia and she tries so hard to get him into it and just doesn't. I'd think meditation could reduce dementia too, don't know but just thought of this.

https://www.alzheimers.net/2013-11-2...ow-alzheimers/

Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM

689 posts, read 973,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The question was rhetorical. You are always railing against synthetic hormone. It's just odd that you are taking the synthetic instead of the natural animal pineal glands.

The point that you missed was this: if soils are too depleted to provide you with quality foods, then they are too depleted to provide quality grape seeds.

I know how to replenish and maintain soil and so do farmers. Poor soil produces poor crops, or none at all, and they can't stay in business that way. As I said before, nutritionally-deficient foods are in the grocery stores because of the length of time it takes to get there. Nutrients begin degrading when it's harvested and continue degrading each day. I grow what I can and get the rest locally when it's harvested. If your store stocks locally-grown foods, then that's great. Otherwise, I would look for another source.
I don't understand your debate here. It's a known fact that today's conventional agribusiness practices have heavily depleted our soil nutrients through heavy pesticide/herbicide use, over-planting, and much more. This is everywhere in the 'mainstream' media as well as the alternative press. True, if you are able to grow your own produce or purchase from local small/organic farmers you may benefit greatly but most people don't have that advantage - thus the need for nutritional supplementation.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...utrition-loss/

And I don't remember Jam ever 'railing' about synthetic hormones. She is a proponent of using natural elements for healing as much as possible and makes every effort to avoid pharma drugs. Like many of us, sometimes natural versions of things work better - sometimes the lab created 'synthetic' substances prove more effective. It's all about making a conscious, well-informed choice.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Boy this is so true on the meditation, it's a power up protocol. And unless one does not meditate, they have no idea. My neighbor does some shopping for me and she brought some stuff to me last evening and she was so UP and she's late 60's, and said she did quite a bit of meditation during the day. Her husband is heading into what she feels is dementia and she tries so hard to get him into it and just doesn't. I'd think meditation could reduce dementia too, don't know but just thought of this.

https://www.alzheimers.net/2013-11-2...ow-alzheimers/
Thank you for sharing this link, I had no idea. Need to share this info with some family members.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I don't understand your debate here. It's a known fact that today's conventional agribusiness practices have heavily depleted our soil nutrients through heavy pesticide/herbicide use, over-planting, and much more. This is everywhere in the 'mainstream' media as well as the alternative press. True, if you are able to grow your own produce or purchase from local small/organic farmers you may benefit greatly but most people don't have that advantage - thus the need for nutritional supplementation.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...utrition-loss/
Your article contradicts itself. First it says it's the soils, then it blames breeding and modification. The latter two have much more to do with it. Fertilizing crops/replenishing soils has been going on since agriculture began thousands of years ago. It has always been necessary to replace nutrients that crops use.

Moderator cut: rude comment deleted The conclusion is that real declines are explained by changes in varieties and the trade-offs for breeding or modification to make them more resistant to pests and disease; to make them more stable for worldwide shipping; to increase yields per acre; to make them more uniform in shape and size. That is why many small-scale farmers and home growers are turning to heirloom seeds.

What the article neglects to mention is the nutrient loss between harvest and the time it takes to get to your table. I've already explained that. It can be up to 90% loss, depending on what it is. Another factor is harvesting before fully ripened, also so that it can withstand long distance shipping, which means it didn't reach full nutritional value in the first place. Source local, or at least regional, foods which decreases the time it takes.

Quote:
And I don't remember Jam ever 'railing' about synthetic hormones.
Ah, that is information you are missing.

Quote:
She is a proponent of using natural elements for healing as much as possible
So am I. A common misconception is that if something is good for you, then more must be better. It doesn't work that way. Too much can make things worse. All of this randomness is a fool's errand. Acquiring knowledge of how the human body works, how and why it uses combined nutrients, comes in handy ... and why throwing random supplements at it, or random foods, without this understanding is foolish. A few textbooks wouldn't hurt, on nutrition at the very LEAST, and adding biochemisty would be better. A more knowledgeable public is a healthier one.

Quote:
Like many of us, sometimes natural versions of things work better - sometimes the lab created 'synthetic' substances prove more effective.
This is logically consistent with using synthetic fertilizers. Plants grown organically or with synthetic fertilizers are nutritionally the same.

Quote:
It's all about making a conscious, well-informed choice.
Exactly, and misleading information should be corrected. Indeed, knowledge is power. Supplements are okay to use but one has to learn to separate marketing hype and misleading information from fact. The supplement industry is just as profit-driven as the pharmaceutical, healthcare and health insurance industries.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-29-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
The conclusion referenced in my second paragraph ^ is the conclusion from the study cited in the article.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM

689 posts, read 973,055 times
"it is true that fruits and vegetables grown decades ago were much richer in vitamins and minerals than the varieties most of us get today. The main culprit in this disturbing nutritional trend is soil depletion: Modern intensive agricultural methods have stripped increasing amounts of nutrients from the soil in which the food we eat grows. Sadly, each successive generation of fast-growing, pest-resistant carrot is truly less good for you than the one before.

A landmark study on the topic by Donald Davis and his team of researchers from the University of Texas (UT) at Austin’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was published in December 2004 in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition. They studied U.S. Department of Agriculture nutritional data from both 1950 and 1999 for 43 different vegetables and fruits, finding “reliable declines” in the amount of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and vitamin C over the past half century. Davis and his colleagues chalk up this declining nutritional content to the preponderance of agricultural practices designed to improve traits (size, growth rate, pest resistance) other than nutrition.

“Efforts to breed new varieties of crops that provide greater yield, pest resistance and climate adaptability have allowed crops to grow bigger and more rapidly,” reported Davis, “but their ability to manufacture or uptake nutrients has not kept pace with their rapid growth.” There have likely been declines in other nutrients, too

A Kushi Institute analysis of nutrient data from 1975 to 1997 found that average calcium levels in 12 fresh vegetables dropped 27 percent; iron levels 37 percent; vitamin A levels 21 percent, and vitamin C levels 30 percent. A similar study of British nutrient data from 1930 to 1980, published in the British Food Journal,found that in 20 vegetables the average calcium content had declined 19 percent; iron 22 percent; and potassium 14 percent. Yet another study concluded that one would have to eat eight oranges today to derive the same amount of Vitamin A as our grandparents would have gotten from one.

What can be done? The key to healthier produce is healthier soil. Alternating fields between growing seasons to give land time to restore would be one important step. Also, foregoing pesticides and fertilizers in favor of organic growing methods is good for the soil, the produce and its consumers. Those who want to get the most nutritious fruits and vegetables should buy regularly from local organic farmers."

Did you forget that our entire discourse was about the depletion of nutrients/health properties in the soil? That is exactly what the article is about. It is not about how much is lost in transport. Did you also forget that I, specifically, stated that the homegrown or local organic produce was the best option when possible? There is absolutely zero contradiction in my original post and the associated article.

On another note, I nor any other poster on here has the right to question or pass judgement on what supplements or medications someone chooses or the validity of their values surrounding those choices. Furthermore, no one has ever argued that the supplement/natural health industry has their own profit margin. We live in a free-market society and one should always do their own research and determine what matches best with their knowledge, physiology and comfort levels.

In conclusion, your pointless need to be combative and self-righteous does not match with my desire to interact with posters who are collaborative and respectful. Therefore, i will seek to avoid your posts and will no longer comment.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Nobody seems to be discussing melatonin anymore -- so closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine