Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Vegetable oil is in almost everything these days. Maybe it always was, but I notice it more now. Not just in junk food, but in food that's supposed to be healthy.

According to some articles I read, vegetable oil is artificial and one of the worst things for your health. Ironically, most people seem to believe it is great for health.

If I eat anything that contains soybean oil, it tastes horrible to me. And if it gets on my hands, it's very hard to wash it off. I can smell it for hours.

Canola oil is supposed to be especially bad. It is highly processed because otherwise it would be poisonous and would stink.

I generally try to avoid any kind of oil. But you have to read all the fine print on labels, which I don't always have time for. You could buy granola at the health food store, for example, and it might contain vegetable oil.

Butter isn't bad for you, and it tastes a whole lot better. But it's expensive. And vegetable oil probably lasts for centuries without going bad, since it already is bad.

Has anyone heard about this? All the natural health websites have articles about it.

I am not just taking their word for it. I am going by the horrible taste and smell. But I may be more sensitive than average to artificial $hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
How can vegetable oil be "artificial"? It's made from vegetables.

Canola oil:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...l/faq-20058235

"Misinformation about canola oil may stem from the fact that the canola plant was developed through crossbreeding with the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. Canola oil, however, contains very low levels of erucic acid.

Canola oil is also low in saturated fat and has a high proportion of monounsaturated fat, which makes it a healthy and safe choice when it comes to cooking oils."

Vegetable oils can become rancid if they get old. Just like butter. It's just basic organic chemistry.

https://www.livescience.com/55267-wh...go-rancid.html

Aged Butter part 1: background and basics

What you are describing is personal preferences. Your preferences do not mean all oil is bad - or unhealthy.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:15 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Vegetable oil definitely goes rancid.

I use a variety of oils depending on what I am making.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
It isn't artificial. If it tastes or smells bad, it may be rancid. Olive oil is supposed to be good for you but it's not usually recommended for cooking. Butter is good for you. What was bad for us was the old type margarine that people used to use. But look around for a healthy vegetable oil to use.

I think the bad ones were trans fats and partially hydrogenated.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/...t-oils-health/

Look around for some informative articles. There are a lot of healthy vegetable based spreads available.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Vegetables have very little fat. Vegetable oils aren't good for you because they are processed so badly to extract that itty bit of oil.

Use cocconut oil, butter and olive oil. Fat in its most natural form.

Avoid vegetable oils like the plague they are HORRIBLE for you. Extremely unhealthy. I mean, seriously. we've all eaten corn. Does it taste at all like oil/fat? Like, hey, I can toss this corn into a DRY PAN and the oils will help me cook this onion.

Fat is not the enemy. We've been lied to. Eat saturated fat in moderation. Avoid the fake/veg oils.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
The two oils I use for everything are Organic Olive Oil and Coconut Oils.

I was born and raised on Wesson, Mazzola (remember these) and for the good meals, mom got out the Italian Olive Oil. Could be back then the veggie oils were much better quality...so much was better back then...

Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Vegetables have very little fat. Vegetable oils aren't good for you because they are processed so badly to extract that itty bit of oil.

Use cocconut oil, butter and olive oil. Fat in its most natural form.

Avoid vegetable oils like the plague they are HORRIBLE for you. Extremely unhealthy. I mean, seriously. we've all eaten corn. Does it taste at all like oil/fat? Like, hey, I can toss this corn into a DRY PAN and the oils will help me cook this onion.

Fat is not the enemy. We've been lied to. Eat saturated fat in moderation. Avoid the fake/veg oils.

This is what I've told most recently by my MD....best is
coconut oil, butter.

Does coconut oil have a pronounced flavor? Does it make foods taste mildly like coconut?

Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This is what I've told most recently by my MD....best is
coconut oil, butter.

Does coconut oil have a pronounced flavor? Does it make foods taste mildly like coconut?
Depends on how it is processed, mine tastes like coconut so I use it for baking and things like savory Thai dishes.

I have a bottle of MCT oil that doesn't taste like coconut.

I use olive oil for sauteeing or butter, depending on what it is. Butter for eggs!!! For higher temp I have grapeseed oil, sometimes avocado oil, walnut, macadamia....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
OP, maybe you're developing a sensitivity to some vegetable oils and that's why they smell or taste bad to you. I'm allergic to soybean oil and before my allergy symptoms started, I was noticing that soybean oil smelled horrible to me, like rotten meat mixed with cleaning chemicals.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ts-the-truth#1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine