Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:48 PM

41 posts, read 912,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
By the way, you and I already had conversations about Juice Plus and how I think it's a decent supplement, not the best on the market, but still better then a lot of other supplements. I also had asked you months ago since you are so biased and harsh towards JP, do you have any other suggestions for supplements, you didn't have anything constructive to say.
Even though I may have overlooked your question, I actually said many constructive things, and you have yet to point out anything that qualifies as bias on my part -- I'm just relaying the facts to help people make better informed decisions and not waste their money, and I consider that to be very constructive. Offering alternatives is just going one step further, but since you are eager to get my advice, here goes...

How about eating fruits and vegetables? They are far cheaper by weight and, unlike Juice Plus, offer benefits that far exceed those of a vitamin pill. I eat about 7 servings of fruit and veg a day; if I didn’t, and took JP instead, what would I be eating instead to fill my daily 1800 calories? The only choices other than fruits/vegetables are foods that are generally more processed and/or much higher in fats and carbs. Obviously, if you eat a crummy diet, Juice Plus isn’t going to solve the processed foods or fat/carb problems, or the risks for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes associated with the latter.

If someone refuses to eat a balanced healthy diet and feels the need to take a supplement for insurance, they can take a multivitamin for about 10 cents a day. Juice Plus differs from a regular multivitamin only in that it contains a faint wisp of fruit/veg powder – not enough to do anything remotely useful – but the rest is mostly artifically added vitamins (just like the multi). The label on almost any multivitamin bottle shows that they contain a wide array of minerals and nutrients that are not in Juice Plus (typically at least 20). So on the one hand there is Juice Plus, which basically provides 4 nutrients (A,C,E, and folate) and on the other hand, the 10 cent multivitamin, which provides a much wider range of nutrients and at about 1/15th the price. Ten cents a day is pretty inconsequential for most people; $1.37 per day isn't.

Even if, for whatever reason, someone doesn’t want to take a multi and instead prefers powdered fruit/vegetable-type products, there are many that offer far better value than Juice Plus, and you don’t have to deal with the 4-month bulk order commitment or any of the deceitful, high-pressure MLM BS. For example, there’s Greens-To-Go, GNC Maximum Greens/Fruit, and Jarrow's Greens Defense, to name just a few. Puritan’s Pride also makes a slew of different types of antioxidant-rich fruit and berry powders, and these too provide more product for a lower price than Juice Plus. Bilberry extract capsules, for example, only cost about 7 cents per gram.

Quote:
It is really strange to me, how you are so obsessed with "revealing" all the negative about Juice Plus. REally makes me think if you somehow got financially screwed by the company or what is your personal interest in this, as it seems a little unhealthy.
It’s strange to me that you would ask for my advice on supplements and then, in the same breath, be so rude and disrespectful. You have every right to disagree with me but no right to get personal or delve into psychoanalysis. Besides, you couldn’t be farther from the mark. I have never had to resort to hustling MLM multivitamins to make ends meet.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
It is unfortunate that some people seem compelled to provide mis-information about of the product Juice Plus. When you CHOOSE to take it, you are not forced to purchase 4 months worth of the product. They send 4 months worth but if you CHOOSE you do not want to take it, you can return any unopened containers and will not be charged for them. You are in no way locked in, you are in no way forced or coersed into becomming a distributor, in fact the vast majority of JP customers are just that, customers. The company makes it very clear that Juice Plus does not replace your need to eat F&V, it just helps fill the gap between what you need to eat and what you actually do. Nothing more, but more importantly, nothing less. JP is but one of several supplements that will help. There certainly some cheaper whole food supplements and some more expensive. I feel Juice Plus just provides the widest balance and has the most significant independent studies as well as thousands of doctors that support it. The thousands of phyto-nutrients contained in F&V food, far out way the limited amounts you can obtain with mult-vitamins.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Even though I may have overlooked your question, I actually said many constructive things, and you have yet to point out anything that qualifies as bias on my part -- I'm just relaying the facts to help people make better informed decisions and not waste their money, and I consider that to be very constructive. Offering alternatives is just going one step further, but since you are eager to get my advice, here goes...

How about eating fruits and vegetables? They are far cheaper by weight and, unlike Juice Plus, offer benefits that far exceed those of a vitamin pill. I eat about 7 servings of fruit and veg a day; if I didn’t, and took JP instead, what would I be eating instead to fill my daily 1800 calories? The only choices other than fruits/vegetables are foods that are generally more processed and/or much higher in fats and carbs. Obviously, if you eat a crummy diet, Juice Plus isn’t going to solve the processed foods or fat/carb problems, or the risks for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes associated with the latter.
I actually agree with you on eating more fruits and vegetables. However, I think you are completely missing the mark. Supplements, ANY supplements, not just JP are there to fine-tune your diet, not replace the fruits and vegetables. Please point out where any supplement distributor, not just JP distributor, says that supplements should be eaten in PLACE OF the food. That's is a very strong speculation on your part.

Quote:
If someone refuses to eat a balanced healthy diet and feels the need to take a supplement for insurance, they can take a multivitamin for about 10 cents a day. Juice Plus differs from a regular multivitamin only in that it contains a faint wisp of fruit/veg powder – not enough to do anything remotely useful – but the rest is mostly artifically added vitamins (just like the multi). The label on almost any multivitamin bottle shows that they contain a wide array of minerals and nutrients that are not in Juice Plus (typically at least 20). So on the one hand there is Juice Plus, which basically provides 4 nutrients (A,C,E, and folate) and on the other hand, the 10 cent multivitamin, which provides a much wider range of nutrients and at about 1/15th the price. Ten cents a day is pretty inconsequential for most people; $1.37 per day isn't.
I'm sorry, but this isn't a very good advice. Isolated synthetic vitamins are not absorbable and turn into free radicals in your body.
I do not take JP supplements and I'm not a distributor, but to say that some synthetic vitamin is better then JP even though it's cheaper (when I know most people would rather go for more expensive w/better results) is just not a good advice.

Quote:
Even if, for whatever reason, someone doesn’t want to take a multi and instead prefers powdered fruit/vegetable-type products, there are many that offer far better value than Juice Plus, and you don’t have to deal with the 4-month bulk order commitment or any of the deceitful, high-pressure MLM BS. For example, there’s Greens-To-Go, GNC Maximum Greens/Fruit, and Jarrow's Greens Defense, to name just a few. Puritan’s Pride also makes a slew of different types of antioxidant-rich fruit and berry powders, and these too provide more product for a lower price than Juice Plus. Bilberry extract capsules, for example, only cost about 7 cents per gram.
Here is where I agree with you. I think that there are far more superiour WHOLD FOOD supplements on the market then JP and for less price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama
It is really strange to me, how you are so obsessed with "revealing" all the negative about Juice Plus. REally makes me think if you somehow got financially screwed by the company or what is your personal interest in this, as it seems a little unhealthy.

Quote:
It’s strange to me that you would ask for my advice on supplements and then, in the same breath, be so rude and disrespectful. You have every right to disagree with me but no right to get personal or delve into psychoanalysis. Besides, you couldn’t be farther from the mark. I have never had to resort to hustling MLM multivitamins to make ends meet.

Apologies for perhaps being rude, but I still find it strange that you are here only for one reason only: to offer your opinion about Juice Plus. You had never made any other posts or any other threads about any other topic. You have a right to be here for your own personal reasons, mind you, it's none of my business why you are here on CD, but I still find it incredibly strange. Very very strange.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with you on eating more fruits and vegetables. However, I think you are completely missing the mark. Supplements, ANY supplements, not just JP are there to fine-tune your diet, not replace the fruits and vegetables.
Fruit and vegetables miss the mark? Good grief! We are talking about alternatives to Juice Plus remember? They advertise it as a fruit/vegetable supplement. If you already eat a reasonable amount of fruit and vegetables, then taking Juice Plus won’t fine tune anything. If you want to open the discussion up to the broader subject of supplements in general, then that’s a completely different story; but it’s not what we were talking about. Nobody is saying that every supplement is a poor value.

Quote:
Please point out where any supplement distributor, not just JP distributor, says that supplements should be eaten in PLACE OF the food. That's is a very strong speculation on your part.
It's not strong speculation on my part and it is irrelevant what other non-Juice Plus distributors are saying (we are talking about Juice Plus here right?). Juice Plus is recommended for people who do not eat an adequate amount of fruits and vegetables, and the Juice Plus sales pitch is built on claims that real fruits and vegetables are nutrient deficient, stale, under-ripened, more expensive, and too time-consuming to buy and prepare. That all seems to imply that that Juice Plus can take the place of real food

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this isn't a very good advice. Isolated synthetic vitamins are not absorbable and turn into free radicals in your body. I do not take JP supplements and I'm not a distributor, but to say that some synthetic vitamin is better then JP even though it's cheaper (when I know most people would rather go for more expensive w/better results) is just not a good advice.
Wow! You asked for alternatives, I obliged you by providing several (and multivitamins were just one of them), and then you say my advice isn't good. I even purposely used the qualifying statement “even if, for whatever reason, someone doesn’t want to take a multi and instead prefers powdered fruit/vegetable-type products…”. If you already had your mind made up, why not offer your own suggestions instead of fishing for my advice merely to fuel an off-topic argument.

Furthermore, I didn't say "synthetic multivitamin"; I just said "multivitamin". There are multis on the market varying degrees of natural ingredients. Also, the crticism of “isolated synthetic vitamins” is erroneous here; a multivitamin is not an isolated nutrient, but rather a variety of nutrients in combination.

There is no credible scientific evidence that a decent 10-cent multivitamin isn’t absorbed or that it causes harmful production of free radicals in the body. At 1/15th of the cost of Juice Plus, the multi is clearly a viable alternative for many consumers. Some people may prefer to take a "whole food supplement”, but there isn’t any hard evidence that they are better for you than a multivitamin or that they provide better value for the dollar.

Juice Plus contains vitamin additives and there is no clear indication whether the additives are natural or synthetic. By the same token, multivitamin manufacturers don't necessarily specify whether the vitamins they use are synthetic or natural , and we defintely don't know that the additives in Juice Plus are any more natural than those in the multivitamin. Some of the additives in multivitamins are in fact derived from natural sources, and some brands advertise as being food-based, all-natural, etc.

Quote:
Here is where I agree with you. I think that there are far more superiour WHOLD FOOD supplements on the market then JP and for less price.
It’s comforting that we agree that Juice Plus offers inferior value relative to other alternatives, but if you already believed that there were better alternatives, then it would have been reasonable to make some suggestions earlier instead of asking for my advice and then arguing with me about it.

Quote:
Apologies for perhaps being rude, but I still find it strange that you are here only for one reason only: to offer your opinion about Juice Plus. You had never made any other posts or any other threads about any other topic. You have a right to be here for your own personal reasons, mind you, it's none of my business why you are here on CD, but I still find it incredibly strange. Very very strange.
Some apology. You are saying it, but still seem to be missing the point. Why I do what I do is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, and I do not appreciate your pontificating about how “strange” you think my “personal reasons” are. I've made it clear that I find this insultingly rude and invasive, so drop it already.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Fruit and vegetables miss the mark? Good grief! We are talking about alternatives to Juice Plus remember? They advertise it as a fruit/vegetable supplement. If you already eat a reasonable amount of fruit and vegetables, then taking Juice Plus won’t fine tune anything. If you want to open the discussion up to the broader subject of supplements in general, then that’s a completely different story; but it’s not what we were talking about. Nobody is saying that every supplement is a poor value.
Completely misunderstood what I was saying. Even if we do eat all recommended fruits and vegetables, we still need to supplement as the soil is depleted. Surely you should know that as you seem to be an expert. Good grief backatcha.

Quote:
It's not strong speculation on my part and it is irrelevant what other non-Juice Plus distributors are saying (we are talking about Juice Plus here right?). Juice Plus is recommended for people who do not eat an adequate amount of fruits and vegetables, and the Juice Plus sales pitch is built on claims that real fruits and vegetables are nutrient deficient, stale, under-ripened, more expensive, and too time-consuming to buy and prepare. That all seems to imply that that Juice Plus can take the place of real food
If a person does not eat adequate amount of fruits and veggies then he has to supplement. PERIOD. I can't believe anyone would deny it for the sake of proving their point and comparing JP distributors to other distributors is completely REVELANT to this thread as you seem to portray them as horrible evildoers who are starving for money.

Quote:
Wow! You asked for alternatives, I obliged you by providing several (and multivitamins were just one of them), and then you say my advice isn't good. I even purposely used the qualifying statement “even if, for whatever reason, someone doesn’t want to take a multi and instead prefers powdered fruit/vegetable-type products…”. If you already had your mind made up, why not offer your own suggestions instead of fishing for my advice merely to fuel an off-topic argument.

Furthermore, I didn't say "synthetic multivitamin"; I just said "multivitamin". There are multis on the market varying degrees of natural ingredients. Also, the crticism of “isolated synthetic vitamins” is erroneous here; a multivitamin is not an isolated nutrient, but rather a variety of nutrients in combination.

There is no credible scientific evidence that a decent 10-cent multivitamin isn’t absorbed or that it causes harmful production of free radicals in the body. At 1/15th of the cost of Juice Plus, the multi is clearly a viable alternative for many consumers. Some people may prefer to take a "whole food supplement”, but there isn’t any hard evidence that they are better for you than a multivitamin or that they provide better value for the dollar.

There may not be any evidence in mainstream medicine but alternative medicine strongly believes in whole food rather then synthetic. Google it if you want it, I'm over this one.

Quote:
It’s comforting that we agree that Juice Plus offers inferior value relative to other alternatives, but if you already believed that there were better alternatives, then it would have been reasonable to make some suggestions earlier instead of asking for my advice and then arguing with me about it.

I am asking you because you seem to have all the knowledge and the answers about supplements so I wanted your opinion.

Quote:
Some apology. You are saying it, but still seem to be missing the point. Why I do what I do is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, and I do not appreciate your pontificating about how “strange” you think my “personal reasons” are. I've made it clear that I find this insultingly rude and invasive, so drop it already.
It may not be any of my business, but if you will come here to discredit a product, don't be surprised that people will question your motives. This is a public forum and you can't stop people for questioning credibility of ANYONE posting and you are not exception.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
And just to mention on this point is that it's a known fact that for vitamins to properly absorb, it should be combined with minerals so if it's a Multivitamin w/out the essential minerals then vitamins are isolated by default.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 58,949 times
I use to take Juice Plus years ago to help with my MS. My MS is doing so well that I got off of JP. Now y'all are making me think I should get back on it.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
The jabbing back and forth is not acceptable. If you 2 cant talk nicely, then ignore each other...this is a public forum, where everyone can be heard. If you dissagree with someone, then fine. Dont attack them...if it continues, you will both be hit with infractions and your posts deleted.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
The jabbing back and forth is not acceptable. If you 2 cant talk nicely, then ignore each other...this is a public forum, where everyone can be heard. If you dissagree with someone, then fine. Dont attack them...if it continues, you will both be hit with infractions and your posts deleted.
Ok!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Getting back to evaluating Juice Plus...there is no justification for consumers to take it, given that:

(1) its nutritional value stems from vitamin additives
(2) it lacks fiber, minerals and B-vitamins
(3) it doesn't increase blood levels of common plant phytonutrients like beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, and lutein
(4) it is absurdly expensive
(5) there are many other products available at a far better price and which contain specified amounts of all ingredients/nutrients

We could also throw in the fact that the Juice Plus has a pretty poor history with respect to fair advertising (e.g., OJ Simpson in the 90s and the Bill Sears ads that generated complaints by the Better Business Bureau in 2005), and that the Center for Science in the Public Interest (the same group that brought down Airborne this year in a $23.3 million class action lawsuit) recently filed a complaint to the FDA about Juice Plus regarding deceptive advertising and mislabeling of the product.

This seems like such a no-brainer, I'm suprised that it generates any debate at all, but I guess some people have a lot invested in the product, either because they have spent a lot of money taking it or because they sell it for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine