Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

I get these occasionally. I don't call it an "infection" bec. I don't have a fever, or pain, or chills, etc. What happens is I will have to urinate about once an hour-- very annoying. I have a tea 'Cran-aid' by Traditional Medicine - which usually takes care of the problem in one day.

This time, it has not helped. and it's been about 4 days. So I bought some cranberry juice.* Unsweetened. UGH. very hard to get it down, even with honey added.
Also got some cranberry pills, and grapefruit seed extract.
Uva Ursi was rec. to me, but I can't find it locally.
My friend tells me to see a doctor, but a) I don't have a doctor- would have to find a good one, which is not easy. and b)an every-day doctor is just going to give me an antibiotic which is actually detrimental.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had an UTI or an "irritation", what has worked for you.

thanks.
ellen

*this very reputable natural health site finds great benefits to cranberry juice: Urinary Tract Infections | GreenMedInfo | Disease | Natural Medicine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:35 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
For me, drinking 100% cranberry juice concentrate diluted in water, as much as I can get down me, always worked within a day or two. I wouldn't sweeten it at all, because I feel that the critters thrive on anything sweet.

I have always found any herb/root/whatever I wanted on Etsy.

I'm all for going natural whenever I can, since I tend to have numerous and bad side effects when I take medications, but in your case, I would say get yourself to a regular physician, take the antibiotics, and then get your system back in shape after the antibiotics have resolved the infection. I once had a UTI that nearly invaded my kidneys. Once an infection is entrenched, sometimes it just takes too long for the natural route to be effective, and you don't want to take any chances.

But I also tend to think that our bodies are always trying to communicate. If you are looking at this in a mind/body way, a recurring UTI irritation could indicate that there is something or someone in your life who is literally pi--ing you off. If you find the source of that irritation and confront it, there is a good chance the physical irritation will go away.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
ellenrr: A friend has been plagued with UT issues and won't take the drugs but has found UT Answer to do the job for her:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-An...z-120-ml/14967

I believe some work with just D-Mannose

Good luck. j

Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Default re body/mind

I do believe in mind/body connection, and your suggestion is intriguing.
I am thinking about it.
thank you.

you would enjoy this book, altho I'd be surprised if it is still in print.
I've had it since the '60's or '70's:
"Who's the Matter with me?" by Alice Steadman.

She takes various parts of the body and relates illness or distress to various mental states.
I think it is fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
For me, drinking 100% cranberry juice concentrate diluted in water, as much as I can get down me, always worked within a day or two. I wouldn't sweeten it at all, because I feel that the critters thrive on anything sweet.

I have always found any herb/root/whatever I wanted on Etsy.

I'm all for going natural whenever I can, since I tend to have numerous and bad side effects when I take medications, but in your case, I would say get yourself to a regular physician, take the antibiotics, and then get your system back in shape after the antibiotics have resolved the infection. I once had a UTI that nearly invaded my kidneys. Once an infection is entrenched, sometimes it just takes too long for the natural route to be effective, and you don't want to take any chances.

But I also tend to think that our bodies are always trying to communicate. If you are looking at this in a mind/body way, a recurring UTI irritation could indicate that there is something or someone in your life who is literally pi--ing you off. If you find the source of that irritation and confront it, there is a good chance the physical irritation will go away.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Default D-Mannose

thank you.

I just bought a supplement which is cranberry+D-Mannose. I have seen the latter recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
ellenrr: A friend has been plagued with UT issues and won't take the drugs but has found UT Answer to do the job for her:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-An...z-120-ml/14967

Good luck. j

Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 PM

my doctor's visit-
she said no infection.
she punched me (lightly) in various places (back and pelvic area) - no pain.
They did find a little blood in my urine, which is kinda scary.
So I've got to get a blood panel next week.

so no medicine. She said maybe could be my sugar - which I doubt.
I have been for over 20 years called pre-diabetic or borderline diabetic, based on my A1c which I forget the numbers. It's been a long time since I checked them, so it is a good idea to check.

but other than my frequent urination, i feel the same as I have for the last 20 years. (I'm 70).
so we'll see what the blood shows.

meanwhile i'm taking it easy, going to try to drink cranberry juice, taking D-Mannose, bought some Chinese tea which says it is to strengthen kidneys and the urinary system.

Doctor when I asked her what to do about frequent urination: drink less liquid.
This is why I hate doctors-- if I was drinking more, and thus eliminating more, that would not be a problem...

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
I used to get frequent urinary tract irritations (thank goodness that's in the past) and what helped me a lot was drinking a glass of water with a spoon of bicarb of soda in it. It seemed to neutralize the acid in my urine, which is what I think was irritating me.

YMMV, but it worked for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

From Web MD

Quote:
D-mannose is a kind of sugar that is related to glucose.

D-mannose appears to be safe for most adults. It can cause loose stools and bloating. In high doses, it might harm the kidneys.
It is thought to have possibilities of preventing UTIs. Nothing on curing UTIs

Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

I'm all for going natural whenever I can......

That's fine if you're willing to accept the consequences of avoiding modern medical care. For an inadequately treated UTI, you could get permanent kidney damage or even sepsis and die.

Methods involving "alternative" treatments for urinary complaints at best alter the environment of the urine, slowing down, but not eliminating, bacterial growth. Most of these symptoms come & go by themselves. If you've taken some OTC product and you get better, it probably wasn't the product helping. You were just ready to get better anyways.

Beside bacterial infection, probably the most common cause of recurrent urinary irritation in an older woman is simply altered anatomy due to aging. They'll never repeal The Law of Gravity. You've all probably noticed that things start to sag after a certain age. As the pelvic floor weakens, the bladder sinks, changing the angle of the urethra. The normally round opening now becomes an oval opening and the sphincter muscles are stretched and don't hold as tight. They are more likely to go into a spasm to prevent incontinence and that's the irritation that is felt.

Any symptom that recurs often enough or is prolonged should be checked out by a doctor to rule out more serious conditions. Age can cause sagging, but so does a heavy tumor.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Frequent urination is a symptom of diabetes.

Considering you were pre-diabetic, I would guess you are now diabetic.

Especially with it being confirmed that you do not have a UTI, and your apparent lack of monitoring your blood sugar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine