Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

I live in NV and it's legal here. I have been having trouble getting enough quality sleep so I decided to go to my local dispensary and get whatever they recommended. They said indica was best for sleep and I walked away with some chocolate edibles. Cute little triangles. All the pot is tested and they are highly regulated. I know exactly what the dose is per edible.

I have used a fitbit for years to track my activity and sleep so I have history on how much I sleep, how many times a night I wake up, and restlessness. I took the little edibles every night for a week. The fitbit doesn't lie. I only wake up once a night with the pot, twice without. But it cuts down on my restlessness by about 90%. Surely that would have to mean I am getting better quality sleep. With pot I can see my sleep cycles pretty clearly. Without the pot sometimes I am restless all night and probably don't get enough REM sleep. The difference is easy to see. And I do feel more rested too.

I don't feel high or impaired in any way. It doesn't make me feel tired but I sure sleep better. I think it is a good solution for me and I will probably continue taking it at least a couple nights a week. But it actually costs the same as many sleeping pills. It is still too expensive in NV. Seems to be much cheaper in CO and OR.

Might work for you too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
right on!!!!!
It definitely allows for a good sleep...one of it's many fantastic qualities.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
I highly recommend Kava Kava. I have nothing against the MJ but this is very good as well and is not expensive.

I will not knock you out, it's not that type of thing. It allows you to sleep well when YOU want to go to sleep. It will also melt your stress away. Nothing seems to bother me. I take it when I get home from work. I cook dinner, watch TV and few hours later I go to bed.

$14 on Amazon for up to a 60 day supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-25-2018, 08:27 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Oh yeah, when I was using it, I mainly ate edibles to deal with my headaches, but I'd have a little sliver of an edible on the nights when I couldn't sleep. It REALLY helped. And I'd still wake up feeling refreshed in the morning. (I preferred the gummies)

Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I highly recommend Kava Kava. I have nothing against the MJ but this is very good as well and is not expensive.

I will not knock you out, it's not that type of thing. It allows you to sleep well when YOU want to go to sleep. It will also melt your stress away. Nothing seems to bother me. I take it when I get home from work. I cook dinner, watch TV and few hours later I go to bed.

$14 on Amazon for up to a 60 day supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kava has been on my radar for years but I don't take it...so much on the pros/cons. I use several other "calmers" vs kava...

Those are:
Inositol
Gaba
Melissa (Lemon Balm)
L Theanine

On the MJ, I cannot afford it and don't want to get hooked on the edibles anyway. Bought some lozenges with a friend and they did nothing.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Kava has been on my radar for years but I don't take it...so much on the pros/cons. I use several other "calmers" vs kava...

Those are:
Inositol
Gaba
Melissa (Lemon Balm)
L Theanine

On the MJ, I cannot afford it and don't want to get hooked on the edibles anyway. Bought some lozenges with a friend and they did nothing.
I've been taking the kava on/off for a few weeks and I can report nothing negative about it, quite the contrary, I think it's fantastic. The brand I mention is all I can speak for. It works in a subtle, almost subconscious way and is not what I would consider mind altering.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've been taking the kava on/off for a few weeks and I can report nothing negative about it, quite the contrary, I think it's fantastic. The brand I mention is all I can speak for. It works in a subtle, almost subconscious way and is not what I would consider mind altering.
Well, maybe longterm use could be the issue. Check the negatives of kava if you choose to.

I just read NOT to use longer than 4 weeks daily.

I had tried to work with ginsengs years ago and they would elevate blood pressure so I gave up on them.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-26-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, maybe longterm use could be the issue. Check the negatives of kava if you choose to.
Anything in excess will cause problems. Kava has been in use for centuries. Just like with Kratom, the studies are not conclusive or comprehensive or controlled for that matter. I won't even get into that one, I already have in another thread.

The only reported problem is possible liver damage but then I found this.

Quote:
In 2002 and 2003, Germany and the United Kingdom, respectively, banned the sale of kava due to increasing concerns about liver damage. Other countries have since banned it. Mixed research data exists surrounding kava and reports of liver toxicity, says Professor Edzard Ernst, of Peninsula Medical School at the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth in the U.K., in the October 2007 issue of the "British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology." Apparently liver damage due to kava consumption has not been a concern among people in the South Pacific, in spite of its use for generations. Ernst notes the idea of possible contamination of the kava root with different parts of the plant as being one possible cause of toxicity. Furthermore, he says, there were growing arguments about the safety of the traditional water-based kava extracts versus the newer solvent-based ones.

Conclusion
Based on the current research, kava products are not safe when the medicinal or psychoactive compounds of the kava root are extracted using solvents. This does not mean that water-based kava extracts are always safer alternatives. Quality of the kava plant extract you are buying may not be easily known. You should use extreme caution when using kava products, or avoid them completely. Be aware that liver damage is only one possible side effect of kava. Other side effects may include loss of appetite, nausea and skin rash.
Source and full article: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...tmono-872/kava

Pharmaceuticals certainly have there share of "negatives" and side effects. I'm sure you would agree.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 PM

274 posts, read 237,580 times
I've tried cannabis oil, and it gives me a headache. Tried Kava Kava a couple of weeks ago. I seem to be very sensitive to just about everything, so i only took half of the recommended amount. Slept very soundly, but felt wiped out the next day.

Just last night I tried Valerian Root. Again, took only half of the recommended dose. Got some sound sleep, but had very strange, not pleasant dreams.

Melatonin also gives me strange dreams. Kratom triggered a full blown migraine.

I'm thinking about trying again, with one quarter of the recommended dosage.

Would like to find something that helps without making me feel worse. Very frustrating that my system doesn't want to cooperate with anything that might help.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I've tried cannabis oil, and it gives me a headache. Tried Kava Kava a couple of weeks ago. I seem to be very sensitive to just about everything, so i only took half of the recommended amount. Slept very soundly, but felt wiped out the next day.

Just last night I tried Valerian Root. Again, took only half of the recommended dose. Got some sound sleep, but had very strange, not pleasant dreams.

Melatonin also gives me strange dreams. Kratom triggered a full blown migraine.

I'm thinking about trying again, with one quarter of the recommended dosage.

Would like to find something that helps without making me feel worse. Very frustrating that my system doesn't want to cooperate with anything that might help.
Sheila, the stuff I take gives me dreams all over the place, but most my nights for fun with the dreams.

My stuff doesn't make me drows y the next day and I take a few for my sleep. Have you thought of trying Calms Forte' homeopathic tabs, I've been using them for some yrs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine