Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Birth control is given out by prescription from a doctor. Essential oils are prescribed as "cures" by women with no medical training.
Big difference.
I think those who have such fear of E.O's. need to steer clear. Plain and Simple. That's what I do with doctors as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I am far more afraid of someone with no knowledge trying to "prescribe" something. Women who sell essential oils for a living often have no background in science or medicine. They are telling people it's okay to ingest the oils because "they're natural". They aren't natural anymore when they're that highly concentrated. They could be harmful. I wish the FDA would crack down on them making these claims.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:17 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I am far more afraid of someone with no knowledge trying to "prescribe" something. Women who sell essential oils for a living often have no background in science or medicine. They are telling people it's okay to ingest the oils because "they're natural". They aren't natural anymore when they're that highly concentrated. They could be harmful. I wish the FDA would crack down on them making these claims.
The suppliers I buy from provide all the information you need about each oil and the safe ways to use it. The companies are very strict on what they can and can't say. There will always be the outliers that use things incorrectly or stupidly. Is it any different than using a prescription medicine incorrectly or to keep using it while you're getting an allergic reaction? Not really.

In fact, every pharmaceutical company knows that a certain percentage of their customer will be harmed or killed by their products when used correctly, we as customers, just hope it's not us.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 PM

I use an EO that contains Frankincense and Myrrh and by this time of the day I rub it on my knee and omg, what a pain relief I get. Frankincense is amazing.

My daughter was telling me she's getting involved in a facial product line and a main ingredient is Frankincense.

Those who don't know should not continue to knock.

And BTW: long ago there was a snake oil linament and I believe from China. I was just reading that history...how so many throw that term around about something they don't like.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Some of the brands I like:

* Young Living
* doTerra
* Rocky Mountain
* Eden's Garden
* BioSource Naturals
* Plant Therapy

I have been using essential oils for many years. I have taken a course or two, as well.

They have saved my life.

I have used them for all manner of things.

I wear them daily, and diffuse often.

They are a God-send.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You are incorrect.

SOME essential oils are safe to ingest - SOME are not.
Do you know how that essential oil will interact with any pharmaceutical drug you're taking? No, you don't. And believe me, they can interact. They can either render a drug totally ineffective or they could heighten the effects of a drug to unsafe levels.

Here is some reading to get you started:

https://www.poison.org/articles/2014-jun/essential-oils

It's totally false tell someone it's always safe to ingest an EO.

Additionally, essential oils are sold by multi-level marketing salespeople who will say anything to make a sale or recruit someone into their "business".

"If swallowed, eucalyptus oil can cause seizures".

"Since essential oils generally are not regulated, it can be hard to know exactly what is in the essential oil bottle – what species of plant, what concentration of active ingredient, or whether there are any contaminants.
"Swallowing oil of wintergreen is like swallowing a large number of adult aspirin"."

From the Mayo Clinic:

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/2016/...-health-risks/

"These essences are highly concentrated and have various levels of toxicity if not used properly, but says "there are many distributors advocating internal ingestion–some of them without any deeper training in this field." She has heard some reps advise clients to add drops of citrus oil to drinking water, which can lead to burning of the esophagus."

Moderator cut: removed snarky comment

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-27-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 07:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Very interesting. I’ve been thinking about buying a diffuser but I think I’ll pass.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Very interesting. I’ve been thinking about buying a diffuser but I think I’ll pass.
I never bothered with a diffuser....but have many I've researched and work with for joint pain. And love to splash various ones on my pillow and sheets and blanket... And even around my apt.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Here's more information on the dangers of essential oils - warning, there is a graphic photo.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...mean-risk-free

Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Do you know how that essential oil will interact with any pharmaceutical drug you're taking? No, you don't. And believe me, they can interact. They can either render a drug totally ineffective or they could heighten the effects of a drug to unsafe levels.

Here is some reading to get you started:

https://www.poison.org/articles/2014-jun/essential-oils

It's totally false tell someone it's always safe to ingest an EO.

Additionally, essential oils are sold by multi-level marketing salespeople who will say anything to make a sale or recruit someone into their "business".

"If swallowed, eucalyptus oil can cause seizures".

"Since essential oils generally are not regulated, it can be hard to know exactly what is in the essential oil bottle – what species of plant, what concentration of active ingredient, or whether there are any contaminants.
"Swallowing oil of wintergreen is like swallowing a large number of adult aspirin"."

From the Mayo Clinic:

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/2016/...-health-risks/

"These essences are highly concentrated and have various levels of toxicity if not used properly, but says "there are many distributors advocating internal ingestion–some of them without any deeper training in this field." She has heard some reps advise clients to add drops of citrus oil to drinking water, which can lead to burning of the esophagus."

So sorry, guys. You DoTerra reps lied to you.
WHO is telling anyone that "it's always safe to ingest an EO?" You are making untrue claims. No one is telling people that every essential oil is safe to ingest. It says right on the doTerra bottles if it is a "supplement" or not (meaning ok to ingest).

Moderator cut: removed inflammatory comment

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-27-2018 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine