Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times

Advertisements

Some of these guys are over 80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rXHqjltjs

Ok so you may have missed the boat and not done it yourself - but don't poo poo it for others. its like getting bitter about people who saved for retirement when you didn't.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Until I retired at 62, I worked with special needs children pushing wheelchairs, lifting them out of and into to change their diapers on cots.

Today I still lift and carrying vacuum cleaner and loads of laundry up and down two flights of stairs. Climb on ladders, step stools, kitchen counter tops, to reach and put away things. Never been to a gym in my life. No need to. Work and my home were/are my gym. I turned 70 this year.

Use it, or lose it.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Until I retired at 62, I worked with special needs children pushing wheelchairs, lifting them out of and into to change their diapers on cots.

Today I still lift and carrying vacuum cleaner and loads of laundry up and down two flights of stairs. Climb on ladders, step stools, kitchen counter tops, to reach and put away things. Never been to a gym in my life. No need to. Work and my home were/are my gym. I turned 70 this year.

Use it, or lose it.
Just be careful. The things you did and are currently doing can be much more dangerous that exercising at a gym. I would rather lift weights than carry things up and down steps. Too easy to trip and fall.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:18 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Just be careful. The things you did and are currently doing can be much more dangerous that exercising at a gym. I would rather lift weights than carry things up and down steps. Too easy to trip and fall.
As I posted on another thread, never go up and down stairs or climb on ladders, etc., in flip flops. Either wear athletic shoes, or go barefoot.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
While you may worry that exercising with osteoarthritis could harm your joints and cause more pain, research shows that people can and should exercise when they have osteoarthritis. Exercise is considered the most effective non-drug treatment for reducing pain and improving movement in osteoarthritis.

Source: https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...s-exercise.php

Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
While you may worry that exercising with osteoarthritis could harm your joints and cause more pain, research shows that people can and should exercise when they have osteoarthritis. Exercise is considered the most effective non-drug treatment for reducing pain and improving movement in osteoarthritis.

Source: https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...s-exercise.php
Thanks, and I know by now what my body can tolerate with all the damage I live with.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:59 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I don't know how many elderly you know but I'm in that category and not only can most of us not get down on the floor we can't get up either, so doing pushups every week is not an option. I was still doing floor work in my early 60's but with surgery and advancing joint issues, no more. Of course there are exceptions and many can still get down and up and a lot of elderly do yoga work, but pushups, don't know. There are many situations and saying pushups are the answer, I don't think so, not for this gal anyway.

I'd love to hear from some folks here who do weekly pushups...
Early 60's and I do pushups most days. I also often go to yoga classes.

As I mentioned before, eating the diet recommended in The Plant Paradox has been the biggest key for me. My bodyfat is very low and muscle mass very high.

One thing I'm not doing is heavy weight lifting like I did when I was younger. I do plan to start lifting more in the coming months.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I am pretty weak and getting weaker.......nerve-disease and aging taking its toll.

I try to work-out weekly to do something to maintain some strength and muscle-mass......sometimes feels like a losing battle.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
way off topic and bickering. Many posts deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine