Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I was doing some research on macular degeneration bec. my 99-year old father has it, and is losing his vision.
I came across a reference to AREDS, and it seemed familiar.
So I thought perhaps it was here that I had heard of it.

Anyone familiar with it?

This is the webpage where I found the reference:
https://www.allaboutvision.com/condi...tion.htm#areds

Scroll down to Step 4 - and there is reference to areds1. and areds2.

I am not familiar with the website so do not know if it is reliable or not.

I just began my research but figured I'd check in here.

Thanks,
ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 03:58 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
I know someone in his eighties taking AREDS 2 supplement for several years and says it kept the eye from getting worse. After three or four years, the macular degeneration appears to have spread to the right eye and slightly worsened in the left. He says he knows some people for whom it didn't work. I didn't look at the web site. I know AREDS 2 has additional ingredients including Astaxanthin which is supposed to help glaucoma and AMD.

The beta-carotene antioxidants are supposed to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier.

I would visit some forums where people with vision problems discuss what they're using.

Last edited by lchoro; 03-20-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
If it were my father and he would take the supplements, I would probably give him the 2 and 4 ...what is there to lose.

Is he in pretty good health otherwise?

A friend's mom is 95 and she's in pretty good health but also deals with the M.D.

I've talked about the eye supports I've been taking and so far so good, I'd like to see until my end and have my mind.

With my dad when he passed at 95, he had good vision but had given up and tired of going thru the motions at this late date.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-20-2019 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 04:40 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
https://nei.nih.gov/areds2/PatientFAQ

Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 AM

Hi Jamin,

Yes, I remember you mentioned something you take for glacoma (or cataracts?) prevention.
I wrote it down, but never got it.

The website that showed the study said that for people over 80, MD is the biggest cause of blindness.

my father's health is so-so. He's had congestive heart failure for something like 30 years. He was very independent and able until about a year ago, when he developed this terrible exhaustion.
He basically sits in a chair by the TV all day. Sometimes sleeping so deeply that I have to look to make sure he is breathing.

So that and his vision are his two main complaints. His mind is 100% good, better than most, that is a blessing.

Yes my father gets tired of it all too, like yours.

I think his exhaustion may be partly depression. He has survived two wives, then he had an aide for many years. They were very close. She left abruptly, we don't know why.
Now he has an aide, that he likes very much, she is great.
She has recently taken a night job, and says she will continue to be with my father, in the mornings, as she has for 4-5 years.
I am worried - and I am sure my father is - that maybe she won't be able to keep this up, and will also "abandon " him.
I don't think he could take that.

His doctor prescribed Procrit for him for the exhaustion. Whcih you may have heard of. It is described as "the most dangerous drug in America". Which is saying a lot!
for ex: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b148502de8ba

Someone wrote a whole book about the fraudulent practices that brought procrit to market: Blood Fued by Kathleen Sharp.

I presented the evidence to my father, and he decided not to take procrit.

oh also-- the drug is prescribed for chemotherapy (it is a blood-builder), for severe anemia, for kidney disease.
My father has very slight anemia, and none of the others, so he is not really a candidate for it, esp. given the risk.

the doctor keeps calling him and trying to persuade him to get it.
what's the problem? I wonder, is there a lack of people who want to take this drug?
Do doctors get a kick-back from prescribing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If it were my father and he would take the supplements, I would probably give him the 2 and 4 ...what is there to lose.

Is he in pretty good health otherwise?

A friend's mom is 95 and she's in pretty good health but also deals with the M.D.

I've talked about the eye supports I've been taking and so far so good, I'd like to see until my end and have my mind.

With my dad when he passed at 95, he had good vision but had given up and tired of going thru the motions at this late date.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM

233 posts, read 155,488 times
Default Vision/bums rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post

the doctor keeps calling him and trying to persuade him to get it.
what's the problem? I wonder, is there a lack of people who want to take this drug?
Do doctors get a kick-back from prescribing it?

Reminds me of when mom was in the hosp and I got calls by the so-called doctors, reminding me of how important it was for mom to take the blood thinner.....it was the bums rush, playing on imagined fears etc
to get that money !

It almost worked, cept for a problem calling in, I didn't have the info needed to complete, so I just decided to nix it all. Later found out that stuff cost 400.00 per month.....I did the poor mans version of the blood thinner and mom was fine.

BUT my reason for posting is to tell you about the Bioplasma...I've been taking it since jun/2018, and I've gotten great results over time, it's just minerals and we just don't get enuf, are NEVER told just how important they really are and most just believe the doggone witch doctors and don't know it.

I'm 67 have no arthritis and am more flexible than ever, and even my vision is slowly improving.
Homeopathy works...good enuf for John D. Rockefeller, the Queen of England and many others and me, I figured it out instead of asking opinions, did it myself, so I know.

And I used it on moms spider veins, the spider veins just faded after a time taking the Bioplasma as well.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:21 AM

the Procrit that my father's doctor is trying to get him to take costs $2000 for a 30-day supply. and they don't tell you it may kill you.

and they
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
Reminds me of when mom was in the hosp and I got calls by the so-called doctors, reminding me of how important it was for mom to take the blood thinner.....it was the bums rush, playing on imagined fears etc
to get that money !

It almost worked, cept for a problem calling in, I didn't have the info needed to complete, so I just decided to nix it all. Later found out that stuff cost 400.00 per month.....I did the poor mans version of the blood thinner and mom was fine.

BUT my reason for posting is to tell you about the Bioplasma...I've been taking it since jun/2018, and I've gotten great results over time, it's just minerals and we just don't get enuf, are NEVER told just how important they really are and most just believe the doggone witch doctors and don't know it.

I'm 67 have no arthritis and am more flexible than ever, and even my vision is slowly improving.
Homeopathy works...good enuf for John D. Rockefeller, the Queen of England and many others and me, I figured it out instead of asking opinions, did it myself, so I know.

And I used it on moms spider veins, the spider veins just faded after a time taking the Bioplasma as well.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Just talking to a friend who is 82 and has been a ferocious reader all her life, novel after novel and has worn contact lens MOST of her life too, I've resisted that one. She's in early M.D.

I have been a reader but not ferocious and my eyes are good...and I have been taking eye supports for years.

Grape Seed Extract
Vit C
Lutein
Simalasn for dry eyes
Crystalline eye drops for cataract prevention

So a reminder to support those eyes as we need them.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:09 PM

233 posts, read 155,488 times
Default eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Hi all,
I was doing some research on macular degeneration bec. my 99-year old father has it, and is losing his vision.
I came across a reference to AREDS, and it seemed familiar.
So I thought perhaps it was here that I had heard of it.

Anyone familiar with it?

This is the webpage where I found the reference:
https://www.allaboutvision.com/condi...tion.htm#areds

Scroll down to Step 4 - and there is reference to areds1. and areds2.

I am not familiar with the website so do not know if it is reliable or not.

I just began my research but figured I'd check in here.

Thanks,
ellen

Not to discourage you, but Mom had some issues, cataracts and I too was grasping at straws, tried some so-called special eyedrops........she ended up getting the surgery. no improvement til the surgery. but I found that ionic minerals are just plain overlooked in all the advertising, cuz it's all about the money there's no money in ionic minerals, but I'll bet there is in them eyedrops

At first I took Bioplasma at the max rate on label, which was 8x a day max, of course we're talking homeopathy, and it wasn't really a permanent fix, but a verification that the solution was minerals,
and as a result, I got more flexible which I slowly transferred that to taking the ionic plant based minerals
and I got a slight improvement over all the other methods I've tried, and how many doctors ever reco taking minerals, specifically ionic ....none

I'm truly convinced that is the key, ionic minerals, plus the borax....depending on scheduling the dosage, cuz once a day is maintenance, you may slowly improve his arthritis if he has any and eye health. AND remember it took a long time to use them minerals up, the ones in the food, so I would not expect overnight results but over a long period of time !

just my 2cents

Old 08-23-2019, 05:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Avastin works for me when it comes to keeping my macular degeneration under control .
https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...y%20to%20leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine