Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 04:41 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I just looked at Lifeway today and it has an awful lot of sugar in it. No thanks on that one. I went with Siggi's; but, still looking for a better alternative....

whatever you do...dont try the lifeway peach kefir. it's way too good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:54 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
You can make your own kefir and yogurt using nondairy milks.
They generally involve using a little commercial yogurt or kefir as a starter, which will leave you with only tiny amount of dairy when you're done.
The commercial nondairy yogurts I've found have a lot of sugar, but that will also be negligible in the finished product.

Some recipes have you use probiotic capsules. In either method, you're breeding more of whatever microscopic critters are in the source. So you don't have to keep buying cartons or pills.

Here's a recipe for coconut milk kefir; I haven't tried it, just a sample Google offered. https://thecoconutmama.com/coconut-kefir/print/53123/

Old 05-16-2023, 02:34 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I have taken several supplements, Align worked pretty well, however, I decided I did not want my system to be dependant on a supplemental in order to "function".

My solution has been a protein shake every morning made with yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, almond or soy milk, frozen fruit, and ice.

Followed by 6 - 8 dried Prunes. Not sure if it's the protein shake or the prunes, but it's working well.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:49 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I just looked at Lifeway today and it has an awful lot of sugar in it. No thanks on that one. I went with Siggi's; but, still looking for a better alternative....
There is no sugar added to the Plain Lifeway Kefirs. I buy the lowfat plain one in the bluish bottle. The fruit flavored ones have the added sugar.

https://lifewaykefir.com/products/plain-lowfat-kefir/

The ingredients are:

"PASTEURIZED LOWFAT MILK, NONFAT MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3, CULTURES."

They also have a whole milk plain version with no sugar added.

https://lifewaykefir.com/products/or...le-milk-kefir/

I think Lifeway's best products are their traditional Eastern European ones. I have only found these at at European or other ethnic grocery stores.

https://lifewaykefir.com/traditional-kefir/

Kefir is better than yogurt for probiotics.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ke...urt#probiotics

"Kefir contains three times more probiotics than yogurt. It has around 12 live and active cultures and 15 to 20 billion colony-forming units (CFUs). Yogurt has one to five active cultures and six billion CFUs."

Old 05-17-2023, 06:50 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
In regards flora & esophogeal erosions or peptic ucers-- The Standard Wisdom, as dictated by the malpractice courts, is that bugs "cause" ulcers."...I would suggest that the bugs get into ulcers and prevent rapid healing. Cf- a skinned knee that gets infected takes longer to heal. The Staph didn't "cause" the skinned knee.

In regards gut flora & GI health status-- Suppose your are Bill Gates and buy up 1000 sq mi of Wyoming short grass prairie. You stock up a modern Noah's Ark and ship in small populations of all sorts of animals from all around the wold, set them loose and come back to see what's up in five years...All the penguins, polar bears, pandas, koalas, mountain goats and squirrels will certainly have died out. They need specific terrain, habitat & food sources to survive. The ones that flourish will be the ones that have evolved to live in WY short grass prairie- bison, prarie dogs, antelope, etc....Think about it.

Your gut supports the bugs that like the sort of food you give them. Tryng to change that by adding new bugs probably isn't going to work...Your personal biota are individual to you not by what bugs are present, but differ by the portion of the total population each represents. You can only temporarily change that by ingesting more bugs. The population will naturally revert back to its equilibrium status. The mathematicians call that a "stable attractor."... Don' try to argue with me until you have studied population mathematics.

The abnormal gut biome is caused by disease, not a cause of disease.

A bout of diarrhea wioes out most of your gut bug population (a solid BM is 90% bacteria) Taking various sources of baceria (yogurt, fermented foods) may quickly increase the gut popuolartion, but it ain't the right bugs.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:54 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The abnormal gut biome is caused by disease, not a cause of disease.

exactly wrong

learn more by reading dozens of studies/trials in this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...egins-gut.html

Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
exactly wrong

learn more by reading dozens of studies/trials in this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...egins-gut.html
No...If your POV were true, it would be easy to prove, but it hasn't been except by innuendo and minor correlative studies. They'll keep trying because it's a fad with easy access to research funds lately. They're wasting their time, and ours.

If you had stated your position on the subject as "Gut biota may have something to do with disease," we could have had an honest discussion, but your all-or-none position has a religious flavor to it. I refuse to discuss religion.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 05-18-2023 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 01:17 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
No...If your POV were true, it would be easy to prove, but it hasn't been except by innuendo and minor correlative studies. They'll keep trying because it's a fad with easy access to research funds lately. They're wasting their time, and ours.

If you had stated your position on the subject as "Gut biota may have something to do with disease," we could have had an honest discussion, but your all-or-none position has a religious flavor to it. I refuse to discuss religion.
Oh good grief, lol. Another "the world is flat" person who thinks they know everything, and refuses to study, and learn from the countless studies provided. If you think this is wasting your time then why are you subscribed to this thread, and reading the posts? If you have no interest in this topic then why are you wasting our time as well as your own? Because you enjoy doing so.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh good grief, lol. Another "the world is flat" person who thinks they know everything, and refuses to study, and learn from the countless studies provided. If you think this is wasting your time then why are you subscribed to this thread, and reading the posts? If you have no interest in this topic then why are you wasting our time as well as your own? Because you enjoy doing so.
Digest this-- Lactobacillus (the bugs in fermented food/yogurt) only makes up about 1% of the bowel flora, give or take a few percent....After a bout of diarrhea, your total bowel population goes way down, so you take yogurt. The population of Lactobacillus goes up and, for awjile, it's way more than 1% of your flora--- but within a few days, if not just a few hours, it goes right back down to 1%....

Mathematically, it's EXACTLY like putting a marble in a mixing bowel, giving it a tweak to make it roll around-- It doesn't take long for the marble to come to rest in the bottom again. The marble can't get out of the bowl and it always returns to its equilibrium setting. It's called a limit cycle and is a very common result in population biology. Cf- the classic wolf-deer situation.

BTW- I've been studying this stuff for 60 yrs and on a much deeper level than the amateur posters here.....If you prefer to subscribe to magical thinking, knock your socks off.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:02 AM

1,192 posts, read 615,484 times
I'm not an expert but I have made this and I love it (making your own fermented veggies):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77hU3zR-fQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine