U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM

353 posts, read 703,245 times

Advertisements

Read this on another site. At the first sign of a cold sore appearing, spray some "LYSOL" kitchen or bathroom cleaner on a Q-tip and apply it directly to the cold sore. It works.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 AM

14,851 posts, read 18,084,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Read this on another site. At the first sign of a cold sore appearing, spray some "LYSOL" kitchen or bathroom cleaner on a Q-tip and apply it directly to the cold sore. It works.
Fever blisters or cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex virus living along the neurological pathways in the body (the nerves). HS eruptions can be caused by any number of factors including stress, change in climate, irritation, etc.

I have had very good luck with L-Lysine supplementation to significantly lessen the duration and severity of outbreaks. I have not tried Lysol. It may work, but I bet it stings like the dickens.

83 percent of the adult population in the US has the Herpes Simplex virus.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM

353 posts, read 703,245 times
I've been plauged with fever blisters since I was a kid. In the past I have used zoverax and have even taken the L-lysine. however, in order for me to get zoverax I have to make a DR. visit and get a perscription and by then the blister is in full bloom.

I tried the Lysol a few days ago and it knocked that blister out in no time at all. I was skeptical until I tried it but I am now a believer.

I was told to use the Lysol aerosol air spray but I used the Lysol kitchen pump spray instead because I didn't have any of the other.

All I can say is, IT WORKS.

Oh, and No, it does not sting at all.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,720,169 times
That is pretty neat, but it isn't too surprising. Lysol used to be marketed as a feminine hygiene product for the longest time.

I wonder what else can Lysol take care of?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM

3,132 posts, read 7,600,454 times
I used to get cold sores alot. during the summer, i take extra care to use a lip balm with sunscreen. getting sunburn is the most sure-fire way for me to end up with a cold sore. also, taking lysine. it is a dietary amino acid in pill form. If I feel that tingle, I pop a few. If i actually get a cold sore, I put some peroxide on it with a q-tip and use some neosporin ointment. takes care of them quickly..also, keep taking the lysine!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 3,139,138 times
So do you take Lysine daily or just when you start to feel it coming on?

The best thing for me is to make sure I don't get sunburned on my lips or stressed ( that one is hard). Once I nibbled on my lip too much when I was stressing about something and that caused a really bad breakout.

The best thing once you have one is to get your doctor to give you a prescription for Valtrex. Kind of embarressing when you get it filled because it is for genital herpes (but I bet lots of people use it for cold sores so they really wouldn't know the difference). My doctor gives me a prescription for a year and if I do run out I just call for a refill and try to keep them on hand so that I have some to take as soon as I feel that tingle. You have to take them as soon as you feel the tingle, for it to work best.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 AM

3,132 posts, read 7,600,454 times
jenn,
I typically take the lysine if i have been in the sun a lot, or when i feel a cold sore coming on. I will then take it until the cold sore is gone. I do know some people who take the lysine everyday, no matter what, however, personally I found i didn't need to do that.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM

860 posts, read 865,834 times
I've been plagued with cold sores my entire life. Applying toothpaste on the cold directly for 5 minutes two to 4 times a day helps alot to get rid of it. Funny thing is I haven't had to do it for almost a year now. Usually once one appears and I don't take care of it right away it begins to grow and grow as usual but for the last several months now the cold sore would rarely reach that final stage. It would appear, sting alittle and then slowly begin to die away without ever advancing into the later stages like it usually does. I can't explain why this is happening since I have done absolutely nothing to improve my health.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,497,706 times
Honey instead of lysol. Lysol is not for open wounds. Honey works for pretty much any skin eruption or cut. Its natural anti-viral/anti-bacterial/takes down swelling. Try it on a burn, pimple or razor rash etc. Its pretty cool.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 20,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
I've been plauged with fever blisters since I was a kid. In the past I have used zoverax and have even taken the L-lysine. however, in order for me to get zoverax I have to make a DR. visit and get a perscription and by then the blister is in full bloom.

I tried the Lysol a few days ago and it knocked that blister out in no time at all. I was skeptical until I tried it but I am now a believer.

I was told to use the Lysol aerosol air spray but I used the Lysol kitchen pump spray instead because I didn't have any of the other.

All I can say is, IT WORKS.

Oh, and No, it does not sting at all.
Is it just regular Lysol kitchen cleaner? I'm bout to try it because nothing else works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine