U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,739,470 times

Advertisements

Need some suggestions from this board as to what you might consider reliable Alt Med options people have to protect or even repair their health. I have very little knowledge on the subject and need some direction as to where to learn. And thank you Boss for your earlier submission, but I apparently broke some posting rules and that thread is no longer open. If you would please pass that info along to me again, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,692,687 times
What kind of alt med are you talking about modalities or medication type?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM

I feel the best form of health care is prevention thru diet and lifestyle and the best way we can treat diseases when they arise is thru a combination of traditional medicine and complementary alternative medicine. Currently the only source of what seems to be reliable info on the alternative side is nccam.nih.gov web site. It appears to be somewhat limited in scope and I think some of the readers of this board could direct me to info sources that I can research.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,983,245 times
Do you mean like specific web sites for general info or just general talk on city data forum here with different members??

Numerous Alternative Medicine health sites listings.
American Alternative Medicine Listings and USA Healthcare Source

Old 07-12-2008, 04:57 AM

I am trying to keep the information on the site as reliable as possible. Thus far I have not been able to find very many supplements that provide much reference to independent evidence based support of their specific product. Some do borrow research from general studies on the value of some of their ingredients, but I would like to be able to feel some confidence that those nutrients are active and viable. So any info you all can provide, would be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,028,757 times
You need to do research on knowledgeable herbalists, and go from there. There are tons of books on alt. medicine, you just have to look for them. As far as if they work or not, that's another question, i'm sure they do and many people go alt. rout vs. medication.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:51 AM

I do think Traditional Medicine and Complementary Alt Medicine can be effective, but certainly not one to the exclusion of the other. Certainly if you have a need for specific drugs you need to be aware of any conflict with any herbal option you are taking. You and your doctor should discuss that. Getting specific evidence based evaluations on herbal products, at least I have found, is difficult to get.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM

1,356 posts, read 5,326,696 times
A good place to start is a book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing. It is very commonly used in the industry and is available at most health food stores. It has a ton of info about herbs, vitamins, minerals, aminos, specialty ingredients and recommendations for many different conditions.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,988,379 times
Gosh, actually there is a lot of alternative type of medicine outthere:

Naturopathic Doctors
Homeopathic Doctors
Chiropractors
Acupuncturists
Herbalists (usually specialize in Traditional Chinese Medicine)

It depends on specific conditions. Some of them are more knowledgeable and reliable then others. You need a good referral.

If you want to just improve your diet and overall well-being without treating any specific conditions, you can consult Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioners. They don't specialize in treating diseases, but they are great in just improving overall health.

There are sooo many books I want to recommend, depending on what you are looking for. Actually I will second "Prescription for Natural Healing", that's a good very informative book, but there are many others too.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM

790 posts, read 3,637,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Need some suggestions from this board as to what you might consider reliable Alt Med options people have to protect or even repair their health. I have very little knowledge on the subject and need some direction as to where to learn. And thank you Boss for your earlier submission, but I apparently broke some posting rules and that thread is no longer open. If you would please pass that info along to me again, I would appreciate it.
I'm recommending the book "Nutritional Almanac" by Gayla J. Kirschmann and Jonh D. Kirschmann.
Here's a little blurb about it (link below) that speaks about the content and value of this book and also recommends that you get the 4th edition because apparently the 5th edition has not gotten favorable reviews.
I've had the second edition (or it may be the 3rd ... not with me at the moment) for many, many years and it is a wealth of information.
Nutrition Almanac (http://www.mycaringconnection.com/nutrition_almanac.htm - broken link)
Another excellent book that you may want to find is "Healing With Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford. I don't know which edition is preferable ... i think that i have the first one.
Amazon.com: Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd Edition): Paul Pitchford: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine