Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM

304 posts, read 745,142 times

Advertisements

Im not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I guess I'll find out!

I am wondering if anyone can point me to any info or has any on investigating alt health careers/natural health careers. I know that natural health is my calling, but I dont necessarily want to treat "patients" one on one. I am interested in nutrition, vitamins, supplements, herbs, all of it. I can see myself consulting, opening a store of some kind, writing books on the topics and so on. But I would want to be well qualified. I was thinking of obtaining an RN because that would give me some biological knowledge and credibility, and its not a bad degree to have in these times anyway.

If I had the time and money I may even want an N. D. degree, but like I said I am not particularly keen on treating patients like a doctor would. Do you have a practice in the alternative health field and would you like to tell me what route you took there? Anyone an R.N. in the field? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,807 times
From my experience in the NH field, i've met lots of nurses. So that wouldnt be a bad idea. check out seminars in your area. CNHP.org has many great seminars around the country and very helpful speakers.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Im not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I guess I'll find out!

I am wondering if anyone can point me to any info or has any on investigating alt health careers/natural health careers. I know that natural health is my calling, but I dont necessarily want to treat "patients" one on one. I am interested in nutrition, vitamins, supplements, herbs, all of it. I can see myself consulting, opening a store of some kind, writing books on the topics and so on. But I would want to be well qualified. I was thinking of obtaining an RN because that would give me some biological knowledge and credibility, and its not a bad degree to have in these times anyway.

If I had the time and money I may even want an N. D. degree, but like I said I am not particularly keen on treating patients like a doctor would. Do you have a practice in the alternative health field and would you like to tell me what route you took there? Anyone an R.N. in the field? Thank you.
In most states you don't need an actual degree to open your own Natural Health center (not even a High School diploma).
There are only 4 schools in the US for ND and only 15 states that actually require the degree.
Also Naturopath practice is banned in 2 states S. Carolina and Tennessee.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Well qualified in that field is a high school diploma and a subscription to Women's Day.

Sorry, but if you want to be a quack there really isn't any school for it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM

A quack? Why would I want to be a quack? Im interested in human biology, nutrition, vitamins, not sorcery.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM

thanks a lot for that info CJMA79, I didnt know that about Carolina and TN. I just figured there are so many "natural health" practicioners out there that having an R.N. would lend to credibility. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Well qualified in that field is a high school diploma and a subscription to Women's Day.

Sorry, but if you want to be a quack there really isn't any school for it.
that is a rather ignorant statement.
i'm not saying you're ignorant ... (i don't want to be deleted) but the statement is.
o.p. this is a link to the California College of Natural Medicine.
Callfornia College of Natural Medecine
it may at least give you some sense of what's available.
and you may want to attend.
it's here in santa cruz, ca .... a good place to be.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-15-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
A quack? Why would I want to be a quack? Im interested in human biology, nutrition, vitamins, not sorcery.
Because a lot of the natural health products are not really proven to work. So people call them quacks.
If you study human biology, it won't teach you much about natural remedies it would actually teach you how they actually don't work.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
thanks a lot for that info CJMA79, I didnt know that about Carolina and TN. I just figured there are so many "natural health" practicioners out there that having an R.N. would lend to credibility. Thanks!
They are banned because they are not proven.
Well I just don't know if an R.N. would work.
Is like studying for something and doing something else, but somewhat related to health.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
that is a rather ignorant statement.
i'm not saying you're ignorant ... (i don't want to be deleted) but the statement is.
o.p. this is a link to the California College of Natural Medicine.
Callfornia College of Natural Medecine
it may at least give you some sense of what's available.
and you may want to attend.
it's here in santa cruz, ca .... a good place to be.
Sorry but that school is not accredited by the AANMC. A diploma from that particular school is worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine