Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM

84 posts, read 195,449 times

Advertisements

What are the negative effects if a person receives light therapy but doesn't need it in the first place and does so for long periods of time every day?

There is a particular desk lamp that I found online that is 70 watts, fluorescent bulb

"Can be used for both light therapy and as a high quality task lamp producing 10,000 lux at 18" and 5,000 lux at 28, Produces 4,300 lumens"

I called and the person told me that this lamp is mainly for light therapy even though it is under reading lamp.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,695,294 times
I've never heard of fluorescent light being used for light therapy! and fluorescent lights are generally considered antithetical / harmful to the system so if you want quality light for desk work, etc., just get a good full spectrum bulb ... easy to find, a bit more expensive but long lasting and very nice light.
And even if you don't suffer from S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder), i can't imagine how exposure to a legitimate light therapy apparatus would be harmful.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
Hollywood actors are exposed to "light therapy" whenever they are on set. Maybe that is part of why they act the way they do?

The common lightbox used for SADS in the 70s was a bunch of 4' florescent tubes (8 IIRC) stuffed in a box.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,695,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The common lightbox used for SADS in the 70s was a bunch of 4' florescent tubes (8 IIRC) stuffed in a box.
Are fluorescent lights full spectrum?
I don't think so.
If not, why would they be used as light therapy?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,642,760 times
If you are interested in Light Therapy go for LED's.
Do the research.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
Well, I bought a Circadian Light therapy lamp for ? $40 - got it in 3-4 days! 'Circadian Optics'

I don't have SAD, seasonal affective disorder - but I sure don't get sun in the winter as much as I prob should.
I love it. There are so many to choose from.
I'll get back later and comment if I feel anything - tho, I feel good all the time anyway, so will be hard.

Couldn't hurt!
I want to research if it helps with Vit D.
Anyone use one?

"Light therapy is also recommended by the Mayo Clinic for treatment of SAD and for other conditions.
Please keep in mind that these lamps do not affect your Vitamin D levels."

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 01-01-2020 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2020, 08:54 PM

308 posts, read 273,989 times
There is much info at the Vitamin D Wiki site.
I am using a flukers sun spot uvb bulb for bearded dragons. 40 mins a couple times a week. Also supplementing. Will order blood tests to see in a month or two if it raised levels.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,583,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I bought a Circadian Light therapy lamp for ? $40 - got it in 3-4 days! 'Circadian Optics'

I don't have SAD, seasonal affective disorder - but I sure don't get sun in the winter as much as I prob should.
I love it. There are so many to choose from.
I'll get back later and comment if I feel anything - tho, I feel good all the time anyway, so will be hard.

Couldn't hurt!
I want to research if it helps with Vit D.
Anyone use one?

"Light therapy is also recommended by the Mayo Clinic for treatment of SAD and for other conditions.
Please keep in mind that these lamps do not affect your Vitamin D levels."
How’s it going for you? I do get SAD and got one to use this fall. It has been helping me A LOT this winter. I definitely notice a difference. I usually use it for about 30-50 minutes when I have breakfast or start work, 10 minutes at the worst on days when I leave for work early (only about 2 days a week). It was definitely worth the $40 investment.

I take a supplement with vitamin D in it and don’t think I am deficient there.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
There is much info at the Vitamin D Wiki site.
I am using a Fluker's sun spot uvb bulb for bearded dragons. 40 mins a couple times a week. Also supplementing. Will order blood tests to see in a month or two if it raised levels.
I will be extremely interested in your results on Vit D!
But! Since you are also supplementing,
would you consider stopping for the sake of the test?

I looked up your bulb - UVB is necessary for Vit D - I didn't know that!
Thank you for your input.

I didn't have SAD - so I can't tell anything...I do a lot of things where I can't tell a darn thing, btw.
I have it on right now 25 min, ha!

Now 25 yrs ago when I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - I could tell if I had a peanut! Really.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:20 PM

233 posts, read 152,797 times
Default Light Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuljago View Post
What are the negative effects if a person receives light therapy but doesn't need it in the first place and does so for long periods of time every day?

There is a particular desk lamp that I found online that is 70 watts, fluorescent bulb

"Can be used for both light therapy and as a high quality task lamp producing 10,000 lux at 18" and 5,000 lux at 28, Produces 4,300 lumens"

I called and the person told me that this lamp is mainly for light therapy even though it is under reading lamp.

My dad, long ago was interested in alternative therapies, probably where I got my distrust of doctors from.

He had this device, a little plastic box that would hold a photo and also had a little slot above it, to hold different colored plastic transparencies for the light, any type light, to shine thru it to the photo below.

Seems the purpose was to heal the person in the photograph with different frequencies of the different colors !

Personally. I've drank some turpentine, and MMS and even have taken a class on it in Ark a cpl yrs back, there isn't much I won't consider trying, if I think it may do some good.

Homeopathy was greek to me, til I took some for heart palpitations and it worked !

Just had to mention it fwiw ..... dunno if it was malarky or not....Dads gone now and so is the light box
but you may come across a modern day version of it !

I did hear of light therapy where a colored glass bottle was used to affect the water inside of it. Just exactly how it works is not familiar to me

I doubt the type light bulb or even the sun matters much, but have no proof either way...hope you get something out of my post....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine