Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
So, I tried this today, foolish me, up early, looking on city data and what do I come across? Oil pulling, funny what a tired mind will do.
This, was the most disgusting tasting thing I have ever tasted. I happen to have had sesame oil on hand, that is the worst tasting oil. I swished and sucked and pulled, for 20 very long minutes. When I was done I spit it in the sink, I don't beleive it is toxic, like sites have said. It wasn't white, just a much lighter tan, it was slightly milky, but that is due to to the emulsification going on in my mouth. This process, slightly mimics, making mayonnaise. After I spit it out I brushed my teeth, twice.. and gargled with mouthwash. I could not get the taste of this oil out of my mouth. It reminded me of when you wipe down wood with oil and the wood soaks up the oil. Well, my tongue acted like the wood, I can still taste the oil and it gave me horrible breath all day. The only thing I noticed from this experiment, is that my mouth smelled and tasted horrible all day, and my tongue and teeth became a little sensitive after.

I shouldn't get up in the middle of the night, tired minds don't think straight.

Intentional or not, this was a really entertaining post, glad to hear some feedback though, lol. (& sorry!)

I did get some sesame oil on friday. It's organic, unrefined. The taste isn't bothering me, nor I did I notice any side effects the rest of the day. I do prefer the coconut oil though.

After spitting in the trash (no sinks or toilets, it can clog) I thoroughly rinse w/ warm-hot water before brushing.

So, at this point, it's been about a week, and I honestly can't say if it's working or not.

If anything, I suppose my mouth/face is getting a pretty good workout...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I
Tried it for a little while, but found sesame oil too strong tasting and made me gag. In fact, never did make it the full 20 minutes with any oil, although must admit, didn't try the coconute oil. That would be better in my mind.
What kind of sesame oil did you use? When I used Hain's it seemed to work well, although I haven't used it long enough or consistently enough to see marked results. The sesame oil that I bought at an Asian store for a recipe was far more pungent.

Earthclinic, I think it is, has some info about oil pulling, different oils to use, and how it has worked for different people.

I figure it's like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
The "article" reads as though it were written by a 5th grader doing a report for science class. I'm also not seeing how oil pulling can possibly "cure totally" excema. If I have a rash on my ankle, how in the name of all that's holy, will sucking sesame oil between my teeth, fix that?

What confuses me even more, is how anyone could be so profoundly naive and gullible to believe this tripe.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The "article" reads as though it were written by a 5th grader doing a report for science class. I'm also not seeing how oil pulling can possibly "cure totally" excema. If I have a rash on my ankle, how in the name of all that's holy, will sucking sesame oil between my teeth, fix that?

What confuses me even more, is how anyone could be so profoundly naive and gullible to believe this tripe.
I have seen you post in all the oil pulling threads I am finding in all the forums, not just the dental forum.

Did you have a bad experience with it or something?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I have seen you post in all the oil pulling threads I am finding in all the forums, not just the dental forum.

Did you have a bad experience with it or something?
As far as I can tell, there are only two threads on oil pulling. This one (you're in Alternative Medicine now, not dental), and the dental forum.

I posted the post here back in January, because I'm an alternative medical practitioner and so this forum is of interest to me.

I posted the one yesterday in Dental, because I'm a very active member of the dental forum, and usually respond to threads there.

So yes, I posted a response to 100% of the oil pulling threads, which equates to - 2, ever, in the 51.5 years I've existed as a human being.

I've never tried oil pulling. If you'd ever read any of my other posts having nothing to do with oil pulling, you'd see I'm also an advocate for ridding the world of "really stupid snake-oil scams and idiotic ideas that supposedly proport health and wellness, but are really just ways of parting people with their money, and/or giving the originators someone to laugh at."

To me, oil pulling falls squarely in that category. Not as a scam - since no one's trying to sell you something, this is a stupid thing you can do with the oil in your own kitchen cabinet. But rather, as just some really stupid thing some idiot came up with so they could laugh at someone else's expense when a sucker was stupid enough to try it.

On the other hand, you say you've looked in all the forums that have oil pulling in the topic. Do you have some obsession with it?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
AnonChick has had experience with everything. Didn't you all know that? I say what the heck...try it and if it works --great if not--oh well at least you gave it a try! Of course that is just my opinion!
No offense AnonChick--sometimes being so opiniated gets old! But this is all about opinions and you are allowed yours just as everyone else is allowed theirs!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
I can see where this could be in the "snake-oil" category but then I look at the alternatives with the Big Pharmas and their poisons and think maybe the snake oils aren't that bad. There are a lot of articles regarding the oil-pulling on the internet and some are by some pretty reputable people--and I'm sure they know more about this subject then I do. I don't mind being one of those stupid people willing to give this a try--I see no harm and if something good comes from it then I will be the one laughing! If I just end up with a greasy gooey mouth then by all means go ahead and laugh and I will laugh with you!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM

The harm is in people who are gullible enough to believe this might actually be a cure for something - and reject treatment KNOWN to work, in favor of the snake-oil, that doesn't work.

And while the KNOWN treatment might have been actually treating the problem (or curing it, depending on the problem), they're allowing the problem to fester and become even worse by -not- treating it appropriately.

Sort of like - if you have a cut on your leg, and it's pretty deep, and instead of going to the doctor to get it cleaned, stitched, and dressed, you put a poultice of chewed dandelion leaves on it and leave it that way for a few days. Because your great-grandmother's great-grandmother back in the old country treated cuts that way.

Meanwhile, infection sets in, and you continue the dandelion leaf poultices because you are absolutely sure it will work. I mean your own family must be reputable right?

Then the infection starts to spread into your bloodstream, and you have a full-blown blood infection and you're half dead when the ambulance gets you to the hospital. Five days later, after massive doses of antibiotics which leaves you with a damaged immune system, and several thousands of dollars worth of medical expenses, they send you home with only one leg. The infected one had to be amputated.

If only you had just gone the conventional route, gone to the doctor, sucked up on the $200 fee for antiseptic cleaning, irrigating, cutting out debris, stitching the wound, a shot of antibiotics, and a pretty white gauze pad...

you might've still been walking on both legs a month later.

THAT is the harm in snake-oil treatments.

Not all alternative medicine is snake-oil. And in fact, I believe that NO alternative medicine is snake-oil.

There is alternative medicine,
and there is snake-oil scams.

The two are different things.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Dear CDers,

Oil in your mouth will not cure eczema. Fact.

Sincerely, someone who has had eczema for 53 years.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Dear CDers,

Oil in your mouth will not cure eczema. Fact.

Sincerely, someone who has had eczema for 53 years.
You are absolutely correct.

I would expand this statement to include putting oil in your mouth won't cure ANYTHING.

There is no chance in the world this "therapy" does what the proponents think it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine