Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,906,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Our bodies have many ways of clearing itself from toxins, we can support our bodies in eliminating these substances. Oil pulling may be one way of assisting our bodies in this endeavor.
Your mouth is not an organ designed by nature to remove toxins from the body. This is all basic stuff you should have had in biology in high school.

Quote:
Toxicity is of much greater concern in the twentieth century than ever before. There are many new and stronger chemicals, air and water pollution, radiation and nuclear power. We ingest new chemicals, use more drugs of all kinds, eat more sugar and refined foods, and daily abuse ourselves with various stimulants and sedatives. The incidence of many toxicity diseases has increased as well. Cancer and cardiovascular disease are two of the main ones. Arthritis, allergies, obesity, and many skin problems are others. In addition, a wide range of symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, pains, coughs, gastrointestinal problems, and problems from immune weakness, can all be related to toxicity.
I have to disagree with you. Alt med believers need to stop blaming toxins in the environment for all that ails man today. That's pure nonsense. The biggest problem is DIET and INACTIVITY! You don't get obese and diabetic and develop arteriosclerosis and gout from toxins. You get them from over eating greasy, fatty, salty, fried foods and refined carbs. You get them from hours and hours of sitting in front of a TV or PC, never walking more than what's necessary to get through the day. Toxins play a part in things like cancer and other diseases but they're not the cause of the most common killers of mankind.

Quote:
Of course, if our body is working well, with good immune and eliminative functions, we can handle our basic everyday exposure to toxins. The purpose of this section is to discuss ways to support the elimination of toxins, excessive mucus, congestion, and disease and to prevent, on a day-to-day basis, the buildup of toxicity. Through detoxification, we clear and filter toxins and wastes and allow our body to work on enhancing its basic functions.
Your body detoxes it self. There is nothing you can or eat or take or do to speed the process. The best thing you can do is to eat right and get plenty of exercise. If you're fat, lose the weight. Your kidneys and liver will do the rest.

Quote:
Our body handles toxins by either neutralizing, transforming, or eliminating them. As examples, many of the antioxidant nutrients we have discussed so much may neutralize free-radical molecules. The liver helps transform many toxic substances into harmless agents, while the blood carries wastes to the kidneys; the liver also dumps wastes through the bile into the intestines, where much waste is eliminated. We also clear toxins through sweating, from exercise or heat. Our sinuses and skin may also be accessory elimination organs whereby excess mucus or toxins can be released, as with sinus congestion or skin rashes, respectively.
Detoxification Programs: General Detoxification and Cleansing
No amount of "detoxing" is going to take the place of a good diet and exercise and keeping to a normal weight.

How about answering this question. What toxic substance is eliminated from the body through sweating or through the skin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,522,836 times
I've been reading up on this and the idea is that the oil draws out the bacteria from the gums, from the pockets, from the mouth in general, mixing with the oil that you then spit out. There have been studies that show gingivitis reduced by 50%. For the most part, it's testimonials, but those people swear this has changed their lives. I see no reason not to try it, the benefits are compelling and vast.
As for timing, my four minutes isn't going to do it. It has to be 15-20. We can do five minutes, spit it out, then do 2 or 3 more, until a full 15-20 min. is met. Do it first thing in the morning, and before bed, on an empty stomach.
Like I said, I find the Sunflower oil a pleasant taste, somewhat nutty.
If you try this, keep a daily journal, so you can document any changes you observe.
I got there this am, but it took 2 sessions.
=^ I don't have the answers for you, but there are many sites on the net about this practice, if you're interested.
Nobody is going to make money off of this, except writing books. So perhaps that is why there aren't more studies on it, but there are thousands of testimonials.

this makes sense to me

Quote:
Years of detecting and identifying mouth tenants have revealed that those living in healthy mouths can be remarkably different from those living in diseased mouths. Some bacteria increase in number, while others decrease. By comparing communities of microbes in healthy people with those in the mouths of those with oral cancer, Mager has found a pattern that she expects will lead to the early diagnosis of oral cancers. Bacteria and other microorganisms don't select our mouths, our mouths select them. The conditions in our mouths create an environment that favors certain types of organisms and allows them to grow and flourish. A healthy mouth (and healthy body) is filled with relatively benign bacteria for the most part. An unhealthy mouth attracts harmful bacteria. If you want to have a healthier mouth and body, you must change the environment in your mouth.
oil-pulling-and-oral-health

Old 12-23-2012, 03:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
Testimonials are written by people who get paid to write testimonials. Most of them have never even attempted to try the product/read the book/follow the diet/whatever. They are professional writers who get paid for each snippet they write. The website you linked to benefits financially from the other links on the site. The more people who visit that site, the more people there are who click on the advertising links. That is how they profit. They could be writing a whole website of ipsem lorem text and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. The garbage they post is just that - garbage. They don't care if anyone actually reads it or not - since they just want you to click on the Orajel ad anyway.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Testimonials are written by people who get paid to write testimonials. Most of them have never even attempted to try the product/read the book/follow the diet/whatever. They are professional writers who get paid for each snippet they write. The website you linked to benefits financially from the other links on the site. The more people who visit that site, the more people there are who click on the advertising links. That is how they profit. They could be writing a whole website of ipsem lorem text and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. The garbage they post is just that - garbage. They don't care if anyone actually reads it or not - since they just want you to click on the Orajel ad anyway.
People that assume everybody lies and has a motive but the gov't, have issues. The gov't is supposed to work for us, and they haven't for a long time. There are 2 or 3 lobbyists for every one of our representatives. The lobbyists work in the White House.
You are probably paid by them to troll these forums.
Those of us that are honest want to think the best of people, those that aren't don't.
Do not assume we are stupid, we listen, we discuss, and can make decisions for ourselves. We are still free to do so, without nannies like you telling us how to take care of our own bodies. myob

Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 PM

way to go Anon, you're going to get another thread shut down. Is that your true agenda?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM

6,901 posts, read 6,807,149 times
I think it makes perfect sense that the mouth is the start of digestion and so anything which makes the mouth and the rest of the gut healthier is beneficial to the body and how it works.

Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Alt med believers need to stop blaming toxins in the environment for all that ails man today. That's pure nonsense. The biggest problem is DIET and INACTIVITY!
Diet and inactivity are to be blamed but dont forget the damage to and decrease in effectiveness of the immune system, which also plays a major role in the fight against disease. Stress, diet, medications, exercise, and other environmental factors all have a bearing how our bodiy copes with invasions and whether we succumb to them or not. These environmental toxins, emotional issues and stress can seriously degrade the performance of our immune system as can some medications too.

The Placebo Effect is a large part of the healing process (can be up to 50% effective) and to ignore it is like removing the mind from the healing equation altogether which would be ridiculous.

Anything which does not poison us and preferably helps us to get well or to stay well is a plus in this day and age and so arguing that oil pulling is useless is in fact far far better than drugs and other medications which have negative side effects in addition to treating the condition.

What I am saying is that there may be something in the oils used for pulling which have an effect on the body and until we understand the nature of how our bodies work, we will have little understanding of what is needed to heal them. Can medical science say that it truly understand how the body works and whether an alternative treatment or practice has a beneficial effect on us or not. They cannot even say that their medications and treatments do this for everyone now so how can they make blanket statements about modalities which are not part of the mainstream medical practice.

If people report beneficial effects for oil pulling, then who are we to say they do not experience them? There are plenty of alternative medicines and therapies for which there are no scientific studies but only hearsay reports of experienced benefits.

Oil pulling is free, does not cause harm, and may provide some benefit, I really dont see what all the argument is about.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I've been reading up on this and the idea is that the oil draws out the bacteria from the gums, from the pockets, from the mouth in general, mixing with the oil that you then spit out. There have been studies that show gingivitis reduced by 50%.
What studies? Where and by who? It sounds the the repeat of an alt site testimonial.

Quote:
For the most part, it's testimonials, but those people swear this has changed their lives.
Testimonials are written by professionals who are paid to write them convincingly. They should be ignored. There are people (testamonials) who swear drinking their urine has changed their lives. I don't care what crazy thing someone claims, or sells.... someone will swear it has changed their lives. Cured their "parasites" or their cancer - whatever.

Quote:
I see no reason not to try it, the benefits are compelling and vast.
What benefits are compelling and vast?

Quote:
As for timing, my four minutes isn't going to do it. It has to be 15-20. We can do five minutes, spit it out, then do 2 or 3 more, until a full 15-20 min. is met. Do it first thing in the morning, and before bed, on an empty stomach.
Like I said, I find the Sunflower oil a pleasant taste, somewhat nutty.
If you try this, keep a daily journal, so you can document any changes you observe.
I got there this am, but it took 2 sessions.
=^ I don't have the answers for you, but there are many sites on the net about this practice, if you're interested.
Lot of testimonials written by people paid to write them. If you want to cut back on mouth bacteria, use a natural toothpaste out there and floss your teeth.

Quote:
Nobody is going to make money off of this, except writing books. So perhaps that is why there aren't more studies on it, but there are thousands of testimonials.

this makes sense to me
Ignore testimonials. There were plenty about Hulda Clark's magic cancer curing zapper machine and not one person so treated survived to be interviewed. All these alt treatments and cures are fads that come and go.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think it makes perfect sense that the mouth is the start of digestion and so anything which makes the mouth and the rest of the gut healthier is beneficial to the body and how it works.
With proper diet and nutrition the mouth and gut remain healthy.

Quote:
Diet and inactivity are to be blamed but dont forget the damage to and decrease in effectiveness of the immune system, which also plays a major role in the fight against disease. Stress, diet, medications, exercise, and other environmental factors all have a bearing how our bodiy copes with invasions and whether we succumb to them or not. These environmental toxins, emotional issues and stress can seriously degrade the performance of our immune system as can some medications too.
Ask your Dr to do some blood work. If your immune system is suppressed for some reason, it will show up.

Quote:
The Placebo Effect is a large part of the healing process (can be up to 50% effective) and to ignore it is like removing the mind from the healing equation altogether which would be ridiculous.
Of course there is the placebo effect. It's been known for a long time.

Quote:
Anything which does not poison us and preferably helps us to get well or to stay well is a plus in this day and age and so arguing that oil pulling is useless is in fact far far better than drugs and other medications which have negative side effects in addition to treating the condition.
WHAT condition or conditions?

Quote:
What I am saying is that there may be something in the oils used for pulling which have an effect on the body and until we understand the nature of how our bodies work, we will have little understanding of what is needed to heal them. Can medical science say that it truly understand how the body works and whether an alternative treatment or practice has a beneficial effect on us or not.
In most cases yes. That's why more people are surviving diseases like cancer, Lupus and other one time killers than ever before.

Quote:
They cannot even say that their medications and treatments do this for everyone now so how can they make blanket statements about modalities which are not part of the mainstream medical practice.
Because they KNOW the mouth is not used by the body to remove toxins.

Quote:
If people report beneficial effects for oil pulling, then who are we to say they do not experience them?
Because these people do not exist! They can never be found and a few who may come forward were always and are always self diagnosed. Did you know that? You can't self diagnose most diseases. Only Hulda Clark's victims were found when a few came forward and blew the whistle on her. Her victims did exist. But as far as I know, none claimed to be cured by her magic zapper.

Quote:
There are plenty of alternative medicines and therapies for which there are no scientific studies but only hearsay reports of experienced benefits.
I'm sorry to say but that makes them as useless as those how claimed drinking their urine or sleeping on magnetic mattresses or eating only raw food including raw meat saved them, cured them, did wonders for them... or fill in the blank [___________]. These are all alt fads that come and go.

Quote:
Oil pulling is free, does not cause harm, and may provide some benefit, I really dont see what all the argument is about.
The argument is if you already have a healthy mouth it wont hurt, but those needing dental care will not be helped. Their condition can worsen as they neglect professional care. Those who think they can detox from the mouth are wasting their time.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
People that assume everybody lies and has a motive but the gov't, have issues.
Not everyone lies, just those with an agenda who have no research to go by to sell their wares or make money with their websites so turn to worthless testimonials. They know the desperate and gullible will believe what they write or pay professionals like my friend was, to write them. The better the testimonial writer is, the more they sell of their herbs or whatever they're selling. And so the more the professional writer is paid.

Quote:
The gov't is supposed to work for us, and they haven't for a long time. There are 2 or 3 lobbyists for every one of our representatives. The lobbyists work in the White House.
You are probably paid by them to troll these forums.
The Gov doesn't sell drugs or medications or write testimonials. This is the old lament of the alt meds. The Gov protects us from drugs that are dangerous or don't work. That's why drugs are pulled off the market every day. Other drugs do indeed work.

Quote:
Those of us that are honest want to think the best of people, those that aren't don't.
Do not assume we are stupid, we listen, we discuss, and can make decisions for ourselves. We are still free to do so, without nannies like you telling us how to take care of our own bodies. myob
No one is stopping you from doing anything you chose with your body but the gullible need to be warned.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Warned about what? and those drugs pulled off the market shouldn't have gotten there in the first place. You are obviously a gov't cultist trained like a rat to serve the system and sweep away any resistance.
I will soon be writing my own testimonial. I don't know how this works, but it is making positive changes for me, without a doubt. And that's after less than a week. Don't knock it til you've tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine