U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 AM

4,502 posts, read 11,664,230 times

Advertisements

I have toenail fungus on my big toe. I've tried Listerine and various OTC products (that I later found out aren't for nail fungus) but nothing has worked.

I recently read somewhere that Tea Tree Oil would work. Has anyone tried this?? I bought a bottle of pure tea tree oil and am wondering how often are you supposed to apply it? Are you supposed to apply it on the top of nail or try to get it underneath the nail?

Any info/input is appreciated!

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM

223 posts, read 124,683 times
I've read about it and recommended it to a friend for nail fungus.
It worked wonders for my friend.

I hope it works as well for you.
Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

5,121 posts, read 9,421,109 times
I've heard tea tree oil works but haven't tried it..I'd Google how to use it as using it full strength might be too strong and create a burn.

What I've used successfully in the past for nail fungus was drinking a daily cup of Pau D'arco tea for a week or so. This plant is a systemic killer of fungus and did the trick. You can find this tea at health food stores or on line.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
I've read about it and recommended it to a friend for nail fungus.
It worked wonders for my friend.

I hope it works as well for you.
Good luck.
Do you know how your friend used it? Did he/she apply it on the nail itself? Or somehow get it under the nail? Wrap it or just let the oil dry?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What I've used successfully in the past for nail fungus was drinking a daily cup of Pau D'arco tea for a week or so.
Yes! I've heard that Pau D'Arco is great for fungal infections. I was actually going to get Pau D'arco capsules and then empty them and makea paste with the pau and the tea tree but I wasn't sure if that would be too strong of a concoction.

I will try drinking the tea (the store near me has it). I just hope it's not decaff --- anything decaff literally debilitates me (migraines, nausea, sensitivity to light, etc)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,168,590 times
Yes, i've used it for same condition.
It worked for me.
Get high quality tea tree oil from the health food store.
Desert Essence is my "brand of choice".
Rub it into the nail and all around the nail and do it for as long as needed.
If you have to put on socks and shoes (better to do this when you don't) you can saturate a band-aid with the oil and put that on the toe before socks and shoes.
It takes some time ... natural remedies often do.
For internal use for fungal issues you can put a teaspoon of turmeric (it's an anti-fungal) in a little glass of water and drink it!
Then rinse your mouth and brush your teeth to avoid staining.
I'd do both the external tea tree oil treatment and an internal treatment like turmeric.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-30-2010 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yes, i've used it for same condition.
It worked for me.
Get high quality tea tree oil from the health food store.
Desert Essence is my "brand of choice".
Rub it into the nail and all around the nail and do it for as long as needed.

How long did it take to work?? I want to get rid of this ugly fungus and, on top of that, I just bought some great sandals and want to get a pedi (I've never had one!) so I can wear them! LOL!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Just giving a BUMP for more input/advice.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,168,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
How long did it take to work?? I want to get rid of this ugly fungus and, on top of that, I just bought some great sandals and want to get a pedi (I've never had one!) so I can wear them! LOL!!
I really can't remember as it was a long time ago.
Natural remedies often take time and people tend to be used to the quick pharmaceutical fix (which is an option).
Can't you use some nail polish so you can wear those sandals?
(i'm assuming you're a woman? )
I'd use the polish only during the times when your toe will be exposed and then take it off.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM

I was thinking about wearing nail polish but then thought the fungus might infect the nail polish and get it on my other toes. I was hoping to get rid of the fungus and go in for a pedi since I've never had one (yes, I'm a woman. LOL!)

I know you said it was a long time ago, but do you remember it being as weeks or months?

My doctor won't prescribe anything and told me to go to a podiatrist (my health insurance doesn't cover podiatrists).... I also thought a dermatologist might be able to help, but I haven't called one yet. I really wanted to stay with the natural thing rather than put some pharmaceutical in my body that could have more side effects than benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine