Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 AM

678 posts, read 1,204,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hmmm... It seems that ricardobrazil is a 20-year old college student who works 4 to 6 hours a day as a junior trainee...
Wron again. I work 9 hours a day on a little factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM

415 posts, read 449,475 times
I wouldn't focus so much on growth but on raising SOL ( Standard of Living). China has been growing like crazy, it's still poor. It's the same with India...very poor. Economic growth dosen't mean anything, as you can see in my 2 previous examples, when the SOL. Brazil's per capita is 11 000, outs is 47 000.
I'm not sure what the discussion has been about, hte last few pages are confusing, but I'm just throwing this in.

I'll be coming and visiting soon! Gonna check out the beaches in Rio!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I wouldn't focus so much on growth but on raising SOL ( Standard of Living). China has been growing like crazy, it's still poor. It's the same with India...very poor. Economic growth dosen't mean anything, as you can see in my 2 previous examples, when the SOL. Brazil's per capita is 11 000, outs is 47 000.
I'm not sure what the discussion has been about, hte last few pages are confusing, but I'm just throwing this in.

Brazil's per capita income is a lot better than China's. They earn about US$3,600 while we have US$10,814. Also Brazilian HDI(Human development Index-Is that right??) is higher than China but that doesn't means we're really doing well. Our position is 73th still behind some unpowerful countries such as Panama(54th), Costa Rica(62th) and Peru(63th). China's is 94th.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:18 PM

415 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Brazil's per capita income is a lot better than China's. They earn about US$3,600 while we have US$10,814. Also Brazilian HDI(Human development Index-Is that right??) is higher than China but that doesn't means we're really doing well. Our position is 73th still behind some unpowerful countries such as Panama(54th), Costa Rica(62th) and Peru(63th). China's is 94th.
I know. China was just an example, because there was some discussion about incomes, SOL, economic growth etc. While that's great, it dosen't really mean much sometimes.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post

True.

As a person who has spent a lot of time in Brazil, China, etc.

I often hear people talking about how great China would be to live in, as the economic growth is so great, and how it is declining in Japan, meaning that it wouldn't be so great.

Nothing can be further from the truth. Living in Japan is wonderful by all accounts. Whereas whenever I've traveled around in China, there are a ton of little things you have to deal with all the time, that would never happen in Japan.

But anyways, tying this back into Brazil. I'm a big fan of Brazil. Contrary to what I just mentioned above. Despite Japan is amazingly efficient. There are a ton of things in Brazil, that would remind you of anywhere else. It's not like they are lacking anything for basic amenities, by any stretch.

In fact, when I lived in Sao Paulo, I could have been in any large city anywhere in the world. Sorry, maybe sounds contradictory to what I was saying earlier.

But another stereotype I often hear is that Brazil is inferior to the U.S., because of amenities (or some implication like that). Pretty much every country has all the usual amenities - restaurants everywhere, bookstores, movie theaters, public transportation, etc. So you'll never be lacking that, it's absolutely everywhere.

All that being said, life in Japan is just risen to a whole other level. Being an American though, I don't think American life is anywhere near at the top of the food chain, despite being a world power. It's really far behind in public transportation and other factors. Quite a few previously known 'third world countries' are much more advanced than the States in some of those regards.

If a person was living in Saginaw Michigan for example, compared to say Curitiba Brazil. Living in Curitiba is just going to be a major step up in every regard. Cities like Saginaw just have almost no public transportation whatsoever, and basically a typical city with shopping malls and fastfood restaurants and not a whole lot else going for it - and a completely dead and rapidly scarey downtown. Whereas you go to Curitiba, and you have an incredibly well-designed city conducive to bicycles, public transportation, efficiency, lively, family and friends meeting everywhere in public plazas and meeting places, etc.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM

That's why I don't like to compair Brazil to USA. Because we'll always loose at almost every point.

But when I went into an Internacional Expo Center right here in SP, who was trading out about rairoad partnership, I talked to a French suit guy, who told me he've been to many important cities around this world and assured me that our subway system, even though it's too short, is one of the most reliable on the world, I just wasn't expecting that, and he also said it's the safetiest one, leaving New York's behind. That shocked me really hard, and showed me that, even it being a violent and corrupted nation, we still have something good to tell about.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
True.

As a person who has spent a lot of time in Brazil, China, etc.

I often hear people talking about how great China would be to live in, as the economic growth is so great, and how it is declining in Japan, meaning that it wouldn't be so great.

Nothing can be further from the truth. Living in Japan is wonderful by all accounts. Whereas whenever I've traveled around in China, there are a ton of little things you have to deal with all the time, that would never happen in Japan.

But anyways, tying this back into Brazil. I'm a big fan of Brazil. Contrary to what I just mentioned above. Despite Japan is amazingly efficient. There are a ton of things in Brazil, that would remind you of anywhere else. It's not like they are lacking anything for basic amenities, by any stretch.

In fact, when I lived in Sao Paulo, I could have been in any large city anywhere in the world. Sorry, maybe sounds contradictory to what I was saying earlier.

But another stereotype I often hear is that Brazil is inferior to the U.S., because of amenities (or some implication like that). Pretty much every country has all the usual amenities - restaurants everywhere, bookstores, movie theaters, public transportation, etc. So you'll never be lacking that, it's absolutely everywhere.

All that being said, life in Japan is just risen to a whole other level. Being an American though, I don't think American life is anywhere near at the top of the food chain, despite being a world power. It's really far behind in public transportation and other factors. Quite a few previously known 'third world countries' are much more advanced than the States in some of those regards.

If a person was living in Saginaw Michigan for example, compared to say Curitiba Brazil. Living in Curitiba is just going to be a major step up in every regard. Cities like Saginaw just have almost no public transportation whatsoever, and basically a typical city with shopping malls and fastfood restaurants and not a whole lot else going for it - and a completely dead and rapidly scarey downtown. Whereas you go to Curitiba, and you have an incredibly well-designed city conducive to bicycles, public transportation, efficiency, lively, family and friends meeting everywhere in public plazas and meeting places, etc.
Actually according to the human development index, American life is near the top of the food chain.
List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also Curitiba still has the type of poverty that you would never find in a fully developed country.

Look at this favela in Curitiba
http://www.openhandsbrazil.org/images/about/need/casas06.jpg (broken link)

You will never find poverty in Saginaw, Michigan that matches the poverty that you see in that pic.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Of course there are still favelas, i.e. slums. But then again, what does that have to do with the title? Why would any foreigner move into a slum in Brazil? Curitiba as a whole is a fine place to live.

There are neighborhoods in the US I would not want to move, I guess most countries with huge economic inequality have such neighborhoods. But Brasil is improving in this regard, while in most traditional developed countries the trend goes in the opposite direction. Some parts of Paris are also quite dangerous places, so dangerous the police doesn't dare enter certain neighborhoods.

By the way, poverty does not automatically mean violence. Some Brazilian favelas are progressive, evolving places with complex societies, Rocinha comes to my mind.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
If Curitiba is such a fine place to live than why is the per capita murder rate in Curitiba 8 times higher than in New York City.
Crime in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
So? NYC is a very safe place these days. I would move to Curitiba anytime without worrying about safety at all. The only Brazilian city I would definitively not move to is Rio, far various reasons, crime being just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas