Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 50,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
...and if so, WHERE?

Why the cities/places that you chose...?

Some places..(others feel free to correct/clarify/etc.)

Florinapolis - beaches, european-looking people, cooler weather than most of Brazil, known for blondes...

Curitiba - often touted as one of best designed city by world standards.

Sao Paulo - major melting pot. Immense Italian and Japanese population poured into this NYC-like major metropolis with an already hefty mix of typical Brazilian mixes of people.

Rio de Jainero - arguable one of the most beautiful cities in the world with beaches and beautiful mountain scenery all around.

Salvador - African culture in every niche and cranny of the culture here...amazing Carnivals, and immense history.

Recife - skyscrapers meet beaches.

Fortaleza - skyscrapers meet beaches once again!

Sao Luis - reggae capital in a colonial city. Large city as well.

Belem - Mouth of the Amazon River with it's own unique culture.

Manaus - city in the middle of the Amazan Jungle itself.

Brasilia - Capital of Brazil. Far from the beaches, in a zoned car-oriented city 'of the future', as they say.
You should go to Porto Alegre-RS. I'm pretty sure that you will love there. It is also the capital city of the southernmost Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul. The city is the southernmost capital city of a Brazilian state.[1] Porto Alegre is one of top cultural, political and economic centers of Brazil. Two Mercosul countries, Argentina and Uruguay, border on the State of Rio Grande do Sul. Has alot immigrants from Portugal,Germany, Italy, and Poland. The vast majority of the population is of European descent. I have alot friends from there and me and my husband definitely think in to move to POA ( Porto Alegre) someday. The quality of life is really good and the nightlife is pretty much better than another places around Brazil. Stop to think and go there. You will enjoy and alot people helps foreigner there because they understand english more than another people in another places in Brazil.
I'm brazilian and I know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Sounds like you work for Porto Alegre's city marketing department

While Porto Alegre is certainly a good place to live, I would not want to live there myself, it is somehow not really Brazil to me, more like Argentina or Uruguay, too white

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
By the way, remember that renting a house or an apartment in Brazil is cheaper than in the USA, and also food is cheaper, clothes are cheaper, personal hygiene products (like shampoo) are cheaper, and house cleaning products (like detergent) are cheaper.

So, the cost of living is lower in Brazil.
Definitely isn't cheaper to live in Brazil. The clothes is really expensive. The department stores sell clothes more cheaper but the quality is terrible. The shoes is pretty good material, but in US u can find the same material with the same price. If you want have a good life in Brazil you need to live inside of good residential communities like a condo. I was disappointed with the prices for good stuff in Brazil.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

While Porto Alegre is certainly a good place to live, I would not want to live there myself, it is somehow not really Brazil to me, more like Argentina or Uruguay, too white
I wish work there I work for US Gov
If you want to feel that are in Brazil the northeast is better
People there is like fijian people, are relax and doesn't like to see the watch.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

950 posts, read 1,514,557 times
Quote:

So what is the real Brazil to you ? Salvador ? White Brazilians are no less Brazilian than Black and Brown Brazilians.

Also what is wrong with a place being too White ? There are certainly pros like for example lower crime and murder rates.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Well, to me Brazil is about Samba, Bossa Nova, mixed, exotic looking people etc.
Sure, the Gaucho region is also a part of Brazil, but to me personally it is culturally not what I like about and understand by Brazil. The heart and soul of Brazil in my view is Salvador.
As I said, it is my personal opinion, which of course can't be wrong. Feel free to disagree, I don't care. I guess I am not alone with my views, though.

And crime? Would I prefer the Dakotas over Virginia, just because they have lower crime rates? That is just a non-argument for me.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well, to me Brazil is about Samba, Bossa Nova, mixed, exotic looking people etc.
Sure, the Gaucho region is also a part of Brazil, but to me personally it is culturally not what I like about and understand by Brazil. The heart and soul of Brazil in my view is Salvador.
As I said, it is my personal opinion, which of course can't be wrong. Feel free to disagree, I don't care. I guess I am not alone with my views, though.

And crime? Would I prefer the Dakotas over Virginia, just because they have lower crime rates? That is just a non-argument for me.
If you really want to know how brazilians live. You really need fly to Cuiaba-Mato Grosso,Porto Velho-Rondonia and Goiania-Goias. Over there you will see what is Brazil, also you will learn alot about Brazilian people. Places like Salvador receive alot tourist and has more african descendants. But the genuine brazilian people doesn't live in the big cities. I know Brazil has alot mixes, but is in the north western that you will see and feel how brazilian lives. Just going over there you will know and see: government corrupt, dirty streets, ignorant people, cheaper properties, a huge mixes of wealth and poverty ( reminds New Delhi-India), But the people always have a big smile for you. A advice: learn portuguese before go there. Enjoy the nature over there.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisTurcotte View Post
If you really want to know how brazilians live. You really need fly to Cuiaba-Mato Grosso,Porto Velho-Rondonia and Goiania-Goias. Over there you will see what is Brazil, also you will learn alot about Brazilian people. Places like Salvador receive alot tourist and has more african descendants. But the genuine brazilian people doesn't live in the big cities. I know Brazil has alot mixes, but is in the north western that you will see and feel how brazilian lives. Just going over there you will know and see: government corrupt, dirty streets, ignorant people, cheaper properties, a huge mixes of wealth and poverty ( reminds New Delhi-India), But the people always have a big smile for you. A advice: learn portuguese before go there. Enjoy the nature over there.
I am fluent in Portuguese, thanks.
It is your opinion. To you the NW may be THE real Brazil, to someone else the Gaucho south may be, to me definitively neither is.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,726 times
Quote:
I am fluent in Portuguese, thanks.
It is your opinion. To you the NW may be THE real Brazil, to someone else the Gaucho south may be, to me definitively neither is.
Interesting question: The real Brazil.

Perhaps real Brazil it's this mix of human races and culture. Every city holds a little bit of each one.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,363 times
What state do all the Germans live in? I would like to live in Brazil Jan, Feb, Mar I'm German Heritage. Looking for more of a Beach City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas