Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 AM

29 posts, read 39,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I would like to live in Southern Brazil where there is more Europeans.

Florianopolis or Porto Alegre
... Why? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisTurcotte View Post
You should go to Porto Alegre-RS. I'm pretty sure that you will love there. It is also the capital city of the southernmost Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul. The city is the southernmost capital city of a Brazilian state.[1] Porto Alegre is one of top cultural, political and economic centers of Brazil. Two Mercosul countries, Argentina and Uruguay, border on the State of Rio Grande do Sul. Has alot immigrants from Portugal,Germany, Italy, and Poland. The vast majority of the population is of European descent. I have alot friends from there and me and my husband definitely think in to move to POA ( Porto Alegre) someday. The quality of life is really good and the nightlife is pretty much better than another places around Brazil. Stop to think and go there. You will enjoy and alot people helps foreigner there because they understand english more than another people in another places in Brazil.
I'm brazilian and I know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sounds like you work for Porto Alegre's city marketing department

While Porto Alegre is certainly a good place to live, I would not want to live there myself, it is somehow not really Brazil to me, more like Argentina or Uruguay, too white
That's pretty much the exact reason I've never been interested in Porto Alegre. If I wanted to live among all European-looking people, than Europe or Argentina would make more sense.

I personally find the racially mixing of Brazil quite intoxicating and exotic. A Brazil without that, seems like a Brazil that would lose it's major allure for me.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NO.....watch the Simpsons "Brazil" episode........it IS true. Well, maybe not totally....but, some of it is.
Funny how that has opposite effects on people. When I saw the Simpsons "Brazil" episode, I felt immediate saudade (longing) to be back in Brazil.

I know it's just a cartoon, but seeing the mix of skin colors, even on a cartoon, and the way they exaggerate the people and Brazilian, made me want to just get back there!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
But there is something just magical about carnaval in Salvador? Did I mention that you can just yank whatever girl you find off the street and kiss her? And if she likes it, she stays with you if not she just runs away or slaps you
I never experienced Carnival in Salvador, but by all accounts, I sounds fantastic, as most of the Cariacas (people from Rio) go to Bahia for Carnival!

But, having stayed behind in Rio for Carnival, I noticed that the mass majority of girls from around Brazil arrive in Rio just to prostitute themselves out for a few days and earn some serious cash!

In short, if you are kissing them, and they are staying with you, they are expecting some financial exchange to take place when they leave your place a few hours later!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny how that has opposite effects on people. When I saw the Simpsons "Brazil" episode, I felt immediate saudade (longing) to be back in Brazil.

I know it's just a cartoon, but seeing the mix of skin colors, even on a cartoon, and the way they exaggerate the people and Brazilian, made me want to just get back there!

OK, you can have Brazil.....I'll pass.

I have no desire to visit a country that resembles a scene out of a Mad Max movie.........just like I have no desire to visit Detroitbabwe.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, you can have Brazil.....I'll pass.

I have no desire to visit a country that resembles a scene out of a Mad Max movie.........just like I have no desire to visit Detroitbabwe.
You know all of Brazil isn't favelas right?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:34 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Quote:
I never experienced Carnival in Salvador, but by all accounts, I sounds fantastic, as most of the Cariacas (people from Rio) go to Bahia for Carnival!

But, having stayed behind in Rio for Carnival, I noticed that the mass majority of girls from around Brazil arrive in Rio just to prostitute themselves out for a few days and earn some serious cash!

In short, if you are kissing them, and they are staying with you, they are expecting some financial exchange to take place when they leave your place a few hours later!
You're a lier

Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I would like to live in Southern Brazil where there is more Europeans.

Florianopolis or Porto Alegre
Why??

Because you think people of colour are dangerous, dirty?? What??

Raciam right there. Hmm

Old 07-19-2014, 10:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the exact reason I've never been interested in Porto Alegre. If I wanted to live among all European-looking people, than Europe or Argentina would make more sense.

I personally find the racially mixing of Brazil quite intoxicating and exotic. A Brazil without that, seems like a Brazil that would lose it's major allure for me.
Porto Alegre and Río Grande do Sul are like any Brazilian city/state with all types of people. I travel there often and never felt like I was in Europe. It is an old port town which is why alot of immigrants arrived there, but there are still plenty of African descendant people who are from the region.

I'm surprised people care about these types of things- choosing a place in a country to visit based on racial composition, WTF.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Yes! Florinapolis!, I have to admit I have not been there, but believe I would love it. I have been to Rio, Recife, Bahia, Porto de Galinhas, Sao Paulo, Ubatuba, and Maceio briefly.

From, what I have been told I not only would love Florinapolis, but love the women there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas