Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times

Advertisements

Yeah people be acting like we don't have any dangerous places in the US lol. I loved Philadelphia but walking downtown could be a bit unnerving sometimes, I felt much safer in most Latin American cities than I did there. Even my friends from Southern Brazil commented that the homeless people in Philly could be kinda scary. And Philly is one of the safer cities here, there are tons like Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, that are even worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times
I passed through Chicago on a greyhound. I was coming from LA and compared to sunny southern California, Chicago looked messed up (no offense to anyone), plus it was cold outside. Places always look worse in the winter. At the greyhound station there was dope fiends in the bathroom trying to sell me stuff. I have been through the worst neighborhoods in LA but Chicago just looked crazy too me. I'm sure it has great areas though. The skyline was impressive at night.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 AM

397 posts, read 318,896 times
I have less desire to live in, or even visit, Brazil than I used to, but I wouldn't rule it out. Rio has some amazing sights to see for sure.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yeah people be acting like we don't have any dangerous places in the US lol. I loved Philadelphia but walking downtown could be a bit unnerving sometimes, I felt much safer in most Latin American cities than I did there. Even my friends from Southern Brazil commented that the homeless people in Philly could be kinda scary. And Philly is one of the safer cities here, there are tons like Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, that are even worse
Brazilian hoods are more dangerous

Old 12-15-2017, 12:42 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Brazilian hoods are more dangerous
Depends on where you are. The bad hoods in St. Louis and Detroit are pretty ****ty. Maybe not as bad as some of the hoods in Northeast Brazil, but definitely up there. Not a good idea to go to either version of the hood

Old 12-15-2017, 02:07 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,913,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
I already live in Brazil so i won't vote.

Some tips about living here to help the voters.

Cost of living:
If you want to live comfortably almost anywhere in Brazil, 2.000 dollars monthly are good enough, even in most places of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. PROBLEM: it's hard to earn these wages here, so it's better if you're a retired coming from another country, with no need to worry about finding a job.
2000 dollars for a sole person? really? I live in a country that is expensive nowadays but with 2000 dollars monthly you can live very well alone. So, it surprise me. I expected Brazil to have a cheaper cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
I have less desire to live in, or even visit, Brazil than I used to, but I wouldn't rule it out. Rio has some amazing sights to see for sure.
Well, at the least you can try going to the Iguazu Falls (shared with Argentina), a natural wonder of the world and a safe trip. It's a must.

Last edited by marlaver; 12-15-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 04:14 AM

990 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
2000 dollars for a sole person? really? I live in a country that is expensive nowadays but with 2000 dollars monthly you can live very well alone. So, it surprise me. I expected Brazil to have a cheaper cost of living.
With 1000 dollars is enough for cover rent / mortgage plus basic needs… But if you want eat in restaurants, travel abroad once a year, go to concerts etc is necessary more.
2000 dollars is the average salary for professional workers in Brazil.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen1 View Post
Definetely No.

Ps: I'm brazilian, I live in brazil and have always lived here, I don't want to live in another country because here is my place as long as I don't want ever to be insulted in a foreign country for being where I don't belong. However I answered it as an first-worlder citizen bacause If I were one, certainly I would never choose to live in a country located in the tropics.
I just looked up the city you are from in Brazil. It seems pretty nice. As I am kind of cold right now other the mosquito drama tropical weather seems like a good thing.

Toronto, ON
Wednesday 4:00 p.m.
Partly Cloudy
°C | °F

P.S. -4 is a warmer day for January lol!

Old 01-17-2018, 02:19 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen1 View Post
Definetely No.

Ps: I'm brazilian, I live in brazil and have always lived here, I don't want to live in another country because here is my place as long as I don't want ever to be insulted in a foreign country for being where I don't belong. However I answered it as an first-worlder citizen bacause If I were one, certainly I would never choose to live in a country located in the tropics.
Interesting and a somewhat common attitude in Brasil.

I lived there a year and liked it and probably could have stayed much longer but perhaps if I grew up there and constantly dealt with all the bureaucratic issues and inefficiency I would answer the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas