Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
That, or they expect to walk down the street in "any city, Brazil" and see people samba dancing along through the streets as they go about their daily business.
Incidentally, I was in Brazil for 6 months, including Rio.

This one woman I started dating...use to just dance samba whenever she heard the music. I mean, her toes and body movements just got a little lighter....kind of funny...but I'll never forget that actually

But, yeah, not everyone is like that while going about their daily businesses....but there are some that are....lol. At least one I know anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Admitingly the US is one of if not the most insular country in the world. Alot of people here can't tell the difference between Argentina and Mexico.
I have a Portuguese friend who was raised in the U.S., most Americans assumed that a Portuguese was from Puerto Rico.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM

51 posts, read 101,369 times
Been there, done that...nice country to visit, but not a nice place to live, unlike high crime and living in deep poverty is at the top of your list...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

597 posts, read 1,293,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have a Portuguese friend who was raised in the U.S., most Americans assumed that a Portuguese was from Puerto Rico.
Everybody knows it's too hight the American ignorance level about the world.
Many Americans think the capital of Brazil is Buenos Aires.
They think that once the Mexico border is all the same.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Everybody knows it's too hight the American ignorance level about the world.
Many Americans think the capital of Brazil is Buenos Aires.
They think that once the Mexico border is all the same.
Not just Americans though. I spent a year in Europe, a year in South America and many years in Asia. I've pretty much heard ignorance on every level everywhere geographically speaking.

Personally I think Asians are the worst with international geography. I was also surprised to find that most Europeans know almost knowing about the world outside of Europe - I mean the ones in Europe. When you are traveling and meet Europeans, they'll know. But that goes with any individual regardless of nationality if they love to travel or even moreso when they are actively traveling or abroad.

For example, if someone asks me where I'm from in the States...and I tell them, they almost never know anything about it. I would be absolutely shocked if they did. It's not hard to know, Detroit, Michigan....cars. But, 99% of the world, if it isn't California or New York, they might not know much about it.

Basically, geographical ignorance is something I've encountered among every nationality throughout the world. That being said, there are always the people among every nationality who actually do know and are interested...but no monopoly anywhere on that.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,587,892 times
Usually, I would say I would only live in the United States. So Brazil would be out of the question.

However, in order for me to live in Brazil, I would have to be a millionaire. It would have to be a secondary house in Brazil, where I would spend weeks there. It needs to be in a major city where people are everywhere. I would also have to know a lot of people out there, as well as having fellow millionaire friends living near me. The living would have to mimic the United States', with protective laws, standards, and I would have to feel comfortable living a daily life. The women are a plus, if they are similar to the way they are portrayed in films.

They look "sexable". (New word, it means, meeting the standard of being able to have sex with)

(Google Images)

Last edited by Stephen1110; 10-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: Adding "the funny"

Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 AM

9,770 posts, read 14,606,230 times
Absolutely!

Of course, it really depends on the place, but Brazil is so big and different from one region to another that there must be some place designed for my tastes.

I've been checking out many areas unknown to me of Brazil via Google Earth's Street View feature, and so far, I like, like, like!

I'm extremely fond of Praia Grande. Nice town without the big city stress, but close enough to Sao Paulo for when boredom strikes!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:34 AM

29 posts, read 28,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
No. Brazil is way too crime ridden. There are other reasons too, but crime definitely takes the top spot.
I agree. Been there, saw first hand the crime and corruption.
Besides, their government harbors criminals from other countries and refuses to returned our kidnapped children to their legal parents.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, with stereotyping. Let's say a person doesn't like the US:

Oh, I don't want to go there, just a bunch of gun violent, high crime, drug-addicted, war-mongering, obese, uneducated, poorly-dressed people...

Is that REALLY the US? Well, yeah, it exists all over the U.S. But, on the other hand...(same logic applies with the Brazil stereotypes)..
-----

That's what "Progres" (lefties) from Spain say about the good ol' USA, notwithstanding the fact that their scarce culture is 100 percent American Trivia and many could be classed as American freakies.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM

597 posts, read 1,293,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
No. Brazil is way too crime ridden. There are other reasons too, but crime definitely takes the top spot.
What is worse??
Living in a place "dominated by crime" as you said, or to live in a place dominated by "terrorist attack fear" (large proportions) at any time??
I choice first option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas