Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Scotsman View Post
Not just no, but "Hell NO!"

I feel the same about the whole of the USA

You can mail me a green card, I will send it back to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

I know you're just trying to get back at the "genius" you're replying to, but I don't think you mean that. Almost every country, especially ones as diverse, powerful, and MASSIVE like the US and Brazil has at least ONE city that you could see yourself passing an extended period of time.

Then again, you DO live in Fortaleza, so I'm not sure lol!

To answer the question...YES. I wouldn't live south of Rio (notable exception being São Paulo if the job was awesome), and Rio is horribly expensive. Plus, from here until about 2018, Rio is not going to be really "Rio," but some over-policed, over-priced city that's not actually facing its problems, just kind of hoping no one sees them while the whole world is looking at Rio.

I would live in the NE though, as well as some cities in the North (Belém, Manaus especially).

Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I know you're just trying to get back at the "genius" you're replying to, but I don't think you mean that. Almost every country, especially ones as diverse, powerful, and MASSIVE like the US and Brazil has at least ONE city that you could see yourself passing an extended period of time.

Then again, you DO live in Fortaleza, so I'm not sure lol!

To answer the question...YES. I wouldn't live south of Rio (notable exception being São Paulo if the job was awesome), and Rio is horribly expensive. Plus, from here until about 2018, Rio is not going to be really "Rio," but some over-policed, over-priced city that's not actually facing its problems, just kind of hoping no one sees them while the whole world is looking at Rio.

I would live in the NE though, as well as some cities in the North (Belém, Manaus especially).
I guess it's just to each their own. I acutually have zero interest in living north of Rio. Only south of it!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

I just got done talking to some Americans--my fault, United Statesians--in another thread. I can see why you might not prefer to live in the USofA.

I took a course in two-value symbolic logic just for myself. It was not a requirement for my major. I've done that with a number of subjects just to try and sharpen my "critical thinking."

Let's just say if you (MalaMan) don't prefer to live in New York City then it stands to reason the whole of the United States you likely would not like and the United States is not the Land of Opportunity nor capitalist, but only NYC. But that is more inductive reasoning than deductive reasoning. My two-valued logic course was on deductive reasoning. I'm coming to that conclusion inductively assuming the propositions of some of the Americans in a thread of mine on Milwaukee board is correct.

Deductively I would probably conclude not everyone wants to live in the United States and not everyone hates living in Brazil if in fact there exists people that state they don't want to live in the United States and if in fact there are people that express a contentment or even happiness living in Brazil.

But for some the United States of America is the center of the universe, the only land of opportunity, and NYC is the only place in the USoA that is a place of opportunity, therefore the United States is the land of opportunity. Not being educated on logic and what a tautology is these fellow United Statesians of mine aren't aware they have constructed a contradiction about their own country. In other words their conclusion is false.

Semper Fi Brazil. The whole of Brazil. Not just Sao Paulo.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 PM

58 posts, read 190,154 times
salvador or recife

Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I guess it's just to each their own. I acutually have zero interest in living north of Rio. Only south of it!
Interesting. Do you mind expanding on that? Everyone (brazilians very much included) wants to move to the South, or talks of it as if it were the promised land.

Can you tell me why Rio-on-south is what draws you? I'm legitimately interested in hearing a difference in opinion.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Interesting. Do you mind expanding on that? Everyone (brazilians very much included) wants to move to the South, or talks of it as if it were the promised land.

Can you tell me why Rio-on-south is what draws you? I'm legitimately interested in hearing a difference in opinion.
I don't know what it is. Outside of a few cities like Salvador and Recife, there really has been nothing that has sparked my interest in going further north. I just think I like the cities and landscape a little better in the south. Doesn't mean I wouldn't visit the north but would only do so once I have visited the south thoroughly.

I guess it's kind of like the south here in the U.S. I have more of desire to visit the Northeast and west coast than the south. Doesn't mean I don't like it, just means I don't find it as interesting as other regions.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Funny, I have looked into apartments in Rio and Salvador. Would love to live in Brazil one day. Any one have any good info on apartments/condos for sale in Rio??

Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM

645 posts, read 835,391 times
Of course I would. Football would be my main reason for the move, then chicks!

I already planning for long stay in England, I have been there once and loved because how deep sports runs into society!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
...and if so, WHERE?

Why the cities/places that you chose...?

Some places..(others feel free to correct/clarify/etc.)

Florinapolis - beaches, european-looking people, cooler weather than most of Brazil, known for blondes...

Curitiba - often touted as one of best designed city by world standards.

Sao Paulo - major melting pot. Immense Italian and Japanese population poured into this NYC-like major metropolis with an already hefty mix of typical Brazilian mixes of people.

Rio de Jainero - arguable one of the most beautiful cities in the world with beaches and beautiful mountain scenery all around.

Salvador - African culture in every niche and cranny of the culture here...amazing Carnivals, and immense history.

Recife - skyscrapers meet beaches.

Fortaleza - skyscrapers meet beaches once again!

Sao Luis - reggae capital in a colonial city. Large city as well.

Belem - Mouth of the Amazon River with it's own unique culture.

Manaus - city in the middle of the Amazan Jungle itself.

Brasilia - Capital of Brazil. Far from the beaches, in a zoned car-oriented city 'of the future', as they say.
Being Brazilian, I would likely live in Curitiba (where I'm from), Porto Alegre, which I did not see listed or Florianopolis.
Reasons:
Curitiba--it's a great city, decent whether, though you could get 4 seasons in one day sometimes. Lot's of parks, a great downtown, lot's of shopping a overall nice people. Plus part of my family is there.
Porto Alegre--best people, great food, beautiful city, great river front with lots of bars(feels like a beach boardwalk) and the rest of my family lives there.
Both of the above are within an hour drive to the beach or the mountains.
Florianopolis--BEACH! Great people! SAFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas