Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:52 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,820,638 times

Advertisements

can't stand the sound of Portuguese (only srilankan tamil is worse). So problem solved for me. There are other destinations in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 AM

865 posts, read 898,646 times
yes but obviously choosing a good area that is not so expensive or with high criminality.

I would prefer a coastal city, or at leas a city not far from the coast, because I lived all my life in the mountains. I've looked pics of Vitória, ES, it looks nice.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 AM

11,561 posts, read 9,260,466 times
Yes, but depends where. I don't think anywhere in the Northeast is safe atm. But Sao Paulo or Florianopolis seem great for living

Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,296,347 times
Yes. If I was single I would like to live in Brazil.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,436,988 times
It’s not my first choice, but Brazil is one place i would be fine with living in.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:58 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,811,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
can't stand the sound of Portuguese (only srilankan tamil is worse). So problem solved for me. There are other destinations in SA.

I'm sure the Brazilians will manage without your delightful uplifting opinions sunshine.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,668,011 times
If I were super rich yes. If not sounds like it won't be all that great. In my opinion if I was not really wealth and moving with a lot of money living anywhere in the Americas otger then Canada or the USA would be a bad deal as moving up in status in Canada and the USA through legal activities appears much easier. Our earning potential is higher making it easier to travel/ move but harder to return if you choose to move somewhere with a lower currency. So unless you are retired the move does not make sense unless you want to get stuck their or live a significantly more modest lifestyle in a areas with likely higher risks ( at least for Canadians).

Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM

811 posts, read 849,731 times
I already live in Brazil so i won't vote.

Some tips about living here to help the voters.

Cost of living:
If you want to live comfortably almost anywhere in Brazil, 2.000 dollars monthly are good enough, even in most places of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. PROBLEM: it's hard to earn these wages here, so it's better if you're a retired coming from another country, with no need to worry about finding a job.

Safety:
We have a lot of problems with violence, but it's not some kind of civil war like some people like to say. Most complications are in the slums and poor neghborhoods. If you earn at least the wage i mentioned above you'll certainly live in a safer neighborhood. Always be careful with thefts, but there's no need to be paranoid with the risk of dying while you're walking to the supermarket. Highly unlikely. ANYWAY, the feeling of insecurity will be high, in the big cities a lot of buildings are surrounded by walls with electric fences.

Infrastrucutre:
If you're used to great duplicate highways everywhere, be ready to have a big disappointment. We have extremely poor roads, especially outside the state of São Paulo.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,668,011 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
I already live in Brazil so i won't vote.

Some tips about living here to help the voters.

Cost of living:
If you want to live comfortably almost anywhere in Brazil, 2.000 dollars monthly are good enough, even in most places of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. PROBLEM: it's hard to earn these wages here, so it's better if you're a retired coming from another country, with no need to worry about finding a job.

Safety:
We have a lot of problems with violence, but it's not some kind of civil war like some people like to say. Most complications are in the slums and poor neghborhoods. If you earn at least the wage i mentioned above you'll certainly live in a safer neighborhood. Always be careful with thefts, but there's no need to be paranoid with the risk of dying while you're walking to the supermarket. Highly unlikely. ANYWAY, the feeling of insecurity will be high, in the big cities a lot of buildings are surrounded by walls with electric fences.

Infrastrucutre:
If you're used to great duplicate highways everywhere, be ready to have a big disappointment. We have extremely poor roads, especially outside the state of São Paulo.
The safety factor.
I think a lot of people that come from really safe places aka like where I am from don't get this is not the norm everything. In fact this globally is more like the acception. Now if I had to pay out of my own pocket for more security ex an electric fence, guard dogs, to live in a gated community, a security system etc and all the other nonsense then I would have less money to buy nicer things, to travel or to do fun things. There is a huge cost added if you want to maintain major city Canada/ US standards of living in other places in the Americas. Have nice stuff in Canada and the USA is actually a lot cheaper to. That same higher end items cost crazy more in other places in the Americas. So nicer things cost more and you make less money.

Lots of people like lving in Brazil means you are going to have your butt parked on the beach all day and get to go samba at night. Live in most places or most people does not work like that unless you are living off of someone else's money or are totally carefree and roaming around like a homeless person.

Brazil is a perfect example of somewhere I would like to visit, but would never want to live because I would not be able to maintain my lifestyle there.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM

308 posts, read 235,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The safety factor.
I think a lot of people that come from really safe places aka like where I am from don't get this is not the norm everything. In fact this globally is more like the acception. Now if I had to pay out of my own pocket for more security ex an electric fence, guard dogs, to live in a gated community, a security system etc and all the other nonsense then I would have less money to buy nicer things, to travel or to do fun things. There is a huge cost added if you want to maintain major city Canada/ US standards of living in other places in the Americas. Have nice stuff in Canada and the USA is actually a lot cheaper to. That same higher end items cost crazy more in other places in the Americas. So nicer things cost more and you make less money.

Lots of people like lving in Brazil means you are going to have your butt parked on the beach all day and get to go samba at night. Live in most places or most people does not work like that unless you are living off of someone else's money or are totally carefree and roaming around like a homeless person.

Brazil is a perfect example of somewhere I would like to visit, but would never want to live because I would not be able to maintain my lifestyle there.
From what ive heard the beaches in Brazil are full of thieves and are the worst places to go. Personally i wouldnt want to live in Brazil, its just too risky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas