U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 AM

70 posts, read 234,289 times

Advertisements

Anyone?

And don't say Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I spent a year in South America....but it was about ten years ago. Could have changed since then...but I'll answer nontheless.

Safest is probably CHILE..but it is a bit expensive.

I think BOLIVIA might qualify on your list...combination of both cheap and safe. Nowhere is Japan safe...but by South America standards...Bolivia is safer than most countries there..and the price has always been a bit on the lower end. Tons of indegenous culture there. I spent a month there, and one of my main memories is how little interested most of the people seemed about money. I mean businesses being closed just because they felt like it, etc. Whereas many other places in South America, at times there was a desparation about getting money from you...I mean, at times. But Bolivia seemed to be of another era, almost.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:44 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Colombia is actually pretty safe, at least from my experience (no robberies, kidnappings, etc).

But anyways I guess Bolivia, Ecuador, or Peru since you ruled Colombia out.

Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay will probably be the safest but those countries are the most expensive in Latin America.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Colombia is actually pretty safe, at least from my experience (no robberies, kidnappings, etc).

But anyways I guess Bolivia, Ecuador, or Peru since you ruled Colombia out.

Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay will probably be the safest but those countries are the most expensive in Latin America.
Agreed.

I will make a note that the OP should be careful about PERU...I spent a month there, and pickpockets everywhere...robberies...areas you just couldn't go because of kidnappings. (I know people say that about a lot of places in South America...but Peru certainly seemed like the worse of all the countries I spent time in - which was Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Brazil). Venezuela was another real bad one.

In short, AVOID Peru and Venezuela...if safety is a concern.

I felt real safe in Chile, Bolivia and Ecuador. However, it was 10 years ago, and I heard Ecuador has changed for the worse. (Chile is a bit expensive of those though).

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM

438 posts, read 1,187,206 times
GB USA:
Argentina has a lot to offer at very reasonable prices if you are into the backpacking type visit and prepared to make savings on traveling by omnibus.
Please visit my pix albums to get an idea on what there is to offer.
Prices are very reasonable if you are prepared to 'rough it" a little, and with spring (for us) just around the corner the weather can only improve if you don't mind camping occasionally.
I have also posted many times about Argentina which you will be able to review, and find information that may be useful to you.
Good luck with your travels.... and certainly hope that you can manage the Spanish language, it makes life so much easier.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:15 AM

3,161 posts, read 3,825,089 times
Definitely Bolivia.
I spend about a month out of the year there, Ive never felt uncomfortable walking around, day or night.
be sure and travel around the country, Aurosur is the local airlines, they also have the most attractive stewardesses on the planet

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM

342 posts, read 1,728,064 times
I would say Bolivia or Ecuador.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Ecuador

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed.

I will make a note that the OP should be careful about PERU...I spent a month there, and pickpockets everywhere...robberies...areas you just couldn't go because of kidnappings. (I know people say that about a lot of places in South America...but Peru certainly seemed like the worse of all the countries I spent time in - which was Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Brazil). Venezuela was another real bad one.

In short, AVOID Peru and Venezuela...if safety is a concern.

I felt real safe in Chile, Bolivia and Ecuador. However, it was 10 years ago, and I heard Ecuador has changed for the worse. (Chile is a bit expensive of those though).
Hmm, I did not think Peru (granted I never personaly been there, I am just going by what other people I know told me) was going to be that bad safety wise, was it just Lima or certain parts of the country?

I will say Quito is pretty bad for pickpockets though but is otherwise still pretty safe. Just keep track of your belongings and keep cash in a hidden inaccesible compartment (such as inside your shoe) and you should be okay.

Definately agree to avoid Caracas at all costs though. Venezuela has kind of gone to hell since Chavez took control.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Hmm, I did not think Peru (granted I never personaly been there, I am just going by what other people I know told me) was going to be that bad safety wise, was it just Lima or certain parts of the country?

I will say Quito is pretty bad for pickpockets though but is otherwise still pretty safe. Just keep track of your belongings and keep cash in a hidden inaccesible compartment (such as inside your shoe) and you should be okay.

Definately agree to avoid Caracas at all costs though. Venezuela has kind of gone to hell since Chavez took control.
Pretty much all of Peru. I spent about a month there...and wanted to get from Cuzco to Lima. They would not sell bus tickets to foreigners between those two locations, as most buses get pulled over by local (thugs), and the foreigners will get kidnapped. I mean, it is basically POLICY that you can't go directly between the two places by bus. You can go a very LONG way around by bus.

Lima is bad...Cuzco is bad. That being said I did spend nearly three weeks in Cuzco and had a great time...but so many foreigners/tourists had 'incidents'.

For example. One bus I took...I got money pickpocketed out of my pocket. Previous to that, a girl had a bag and a camera. Somehow someone stole her camera from her, as she was waiting for the bus. Another bus I got on, I put my bag above me, and literally within ONE minute, some other passenger had pushed it back further down the luggage rows on top - like 4-5 seats back. I got up and put it in my lap for the rest of the trip. I also met two other people who had their bags stolen off that same bus. One put their bag under their seat, and at the destination it was gone. OH, just remembered at one of the bus terminals, some 'other' people led a foreigner to a false location to 'purchase her ticket' and sold her a fake one. So she had to buy a 'real' one later. Just little stuff like that.

When I was in Cuzco...this Argentinian girl told me she was robbed twice in the same day! One was her handheld casette player, apparently. I was also warned many times not to let someone come up behind you, as it was common in the Cuzco area for someone to take a clear fishing string type material, and strangle you right there and rob you (just after the sun goes down, apparently that happens). It just went on and on like that.

All that being said, I spent 10 months in South America...so I would quickly encourage anyone to go...but PERU seemed to be one of the worst....actually I did later go to VENEZUELA, and that actually was THE worst.

But back to the topic...Bolivia felt very safe to me. Chile did significantly so. Ecuador was fine as well - although I've heard mixed about Ecuador since I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or