Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Advertisements

Quito - Very dangerous
Medellin - Very dangerous
Lima - Very dangerous
etc. etc.

I have never been to the above places but I am planning to go to Medellin or Quito to study spanish. In my research I have encountered so many negative people who keep insisting that these cities are almost like lawless war zones when other sources of information clearly show that this is definitely not the case... why so much misinformation?

Thankfully, I have first hand experience with Mexico City - another destination so many people flag as being "extremely dangerous". For the record, I spend 5 days in Mexico City, I went all over, took the metro even at 1am at night... it's a busy city and there are people on the metro even at that hour. NEVER once did I feel unsafe! I ventured to many areas, even some NOT recommended, but I did not feel unsafe. I'm not saying there isn't crime, but I think the media HIGHLY exaggerates it.

The fact is that it's the exception that someone would face crime in these Latin American cities, sure, if you go looking for trouble you will find it, but that applies to ANY city, including here in Los Angeles, so what's different about these cities? Pretty much nothing! Be Street smart and there shouldn't be any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
Mexico City is not particularly dangerous. It hasn't even had a notable kidnapping problem since the 1990's.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,947 times
Just remember, only believe half of what you read. If you really want good information about places, talk to people that have spent a good amount of time there or actually live or have lived there.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times
Quito ain't dangerous although they do have a huge problem with pickpockets.

Neither is most of Colombia, since the guerillas and paramilitaries have been wiped out and forced into hiding.

To be honest I felt safer in Ecuador and Colombia than in many U.S cities since there are always people on the street. I have been aproached by more shady people in Houston and Austin than anywhere in Latin America.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,212 times
There's good areas and sketchy areas everywhere. Most cities, other than in war zones like Iraq, are safer than large US cities.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Quito ain't dangerous although they do have a huge problem with pickpockets.

Neither is most of Colombia, since the guerillas and paramilitaries have been wiped out and forced into hiding.

To be honest I felt safer in Ecuador and Colombia than in many U.S cities since there are always people on the street. I have been aproached by more shady people in Houston and Austin than anywhere in Latin America.
I agree about Quito and Ecuador in general. I spent a year in Guayaquil (Ecuador's largest city) teaching English and I visited Quito (the capital) & Cuenca (Ecuador's 3rd largest city). There is a problem of mugging and pickpockets but rape is very rare.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Quito - Very dangerous
Medellin - Very dangerous
Lima - Very dangerous
etc. etc.

I have never been to the above places but I am planning to go to Medellin or Quito to study spanish. In my research I have encountered so many negative people who keep insisting that these cities are almost like lawless war zones when other sources of information clearly show that this is definitely not the case... why so much misinformation?

Thankfully, I have first hand experience with Mexico City - another destination so many people flag as being "extremely dangerous". For the record, I spend 5 days in Mexico City, I went all over, took the metro even at 1am at night... it's a busy city and there are people on the metro even at that hour. NEVER once did I feel unsafe! I ventured to many areas, even some NOT recommended, but I did not feel unsafe. I'm not saying there isn't crime, but I think the media HIGHLY exaggerates it.

The fact is that it's the exception that someone would face crime in these Latin American cities, sure, if you go looking for trouble you will find it, but that applies to ANY city, including here in Los Angeles, so what's different about these cities? Pretty much nothing! Be Street smart and there shouldn't be any issues.
I spent 10 months traveling all over South America...went out late a lot and everything else. It IS dangerous.

But, it's not like you can't or shouldn't go there. On your list, I even spent a month in Quito and got an apartment there, and I spent a week in Lima.

Street smart is essential....I wouldn't say if you are street smart, you shouldn't have any issues. You MIGHT!

I'd still go back in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas