U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM

422 posts, read 346,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
nah. Spaniards are more educated on average, they speak a better Spanish.

the link doesn't work for me

from what I know, that website (Poorbuthappy) was taken down several years ago.
Nah, I dont think so my friend, Spanish in Spain has many different accents and there are some of them like the Galician one which is horrible. Most Latinamericans cant stand some Spaniard accents, lord they sound awful. If you ask a Latinamerican if they like to watch a movie translated with Spaniard accent, most of them will tell you "Hell noooooooooo" I am one of them that when I hear that accent, I immediately change the channel and watch another movie, on the other hand, if that same movie has been translated in any country of Latinamerica, you will see that we will have no problems with the movie.

Studies have been made all the time and some of those studies have got to the conclusion that Colombians speak a good Spanish, but it depends on what region of Colombia they are from. Spaniards from the Canarias Islands sound like Latinamericans so, although they are Spaniards, their accents is more like that of LATAM.

But you haven't asked anything about the African Spanish, Ecuatorial Guinea speaks Spanish too and they sound nice.

Last edited by folicure; 02-24-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,690,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
Tons of people like the Colombian accent. We discussed accents a lot in the citi-data forum called ""Best Safe South American Country to learn Spanish" at the following link. bit.ly/8Y1MV2
The Spanish accent is pretty clear and easy to discern in most of South America, until you get down around Chile and Argentina, where the Spanish is more distinctive and harder to follow for people who aren't from there.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Nah, I dont think so my friend, Spanish in Spain has many different accents and there are some of them like the Galician one which is horrible. Most Latinamericans cant stand some Spaniard accents, lord they sound awful. If you ask a Latinamerican if they like to watch a movie translated with Spaniard accent, most of them will tell you "Hell noooooooooo" I am one of them that when I hear that accent, I immediately change the channel and watch another movie, on the other hand, if that same movie has been translated in any country of Latinamerica, you will see that we will have no problems with the movie.
Yeah, Spanish from Spain takes a lot of getting used to if you are not a Spaniard. They talk 1,000 miles per hour and all that lisping drives most people crazy. If you ever talk to the average Spaniard in person, you probably would feel like you need protective glass between the two of you, so you won't get wet from all the lisping.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM

718 posts, read 477,377 times
Quote:
Nah, I dont think so my friend, Spanish in Spain has many different accents and there are some of them like the Galician one which is horrible
Colombia too. We have Caribbean accent, Pastuso accent (somewhat similar to Ecuadorian), the accent of the Pacific (which as an African musicality), and the Andean ones (the Paisa one in particular has a very distinguisheable musicality).

In Spain, people, on general terms, have a decent use of grammar. In Colombia it varies a lot. Well educated people speaks some of the best Spanish there is. Not so well educated people, although speaking phonetically well (on general terms), may usually have a poor vocabulary and grammar.

Fortunately it can be fixed with a better education system. Growing access to internet and media in general is also helping to homogeinize Spanish in Colombia and other countries.

Quote:
Most Latinamericans cant stand some Spaniard accents, lord they sound awful.
that's just prejudice and lack of familiarity with it. I'm Colombian and I don't have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
The Spanish accent is pretty clear and easy to discern in most of South America, until you get down around Chile and Argentina, where the Spanish is more distinctive and harder to follow for people who aren't from there.
I don't know why some people say that. Argentinean Spanish is one of the clearest there is; after all, Argentina was always one of the most developed Latin American countries, and always had a strong middle class. Argentinians are one of the nationalities that uses Spanish the best, right after Spaniards. They have a very particular accent, but it's clear and good.

Chile indeed has a very particular Spanish.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I don't know why some people say that. Argentinean Spanish is one of the clearest there is; after all, Argentina was always one of the most developed Latin American countries, and always had a strong middle class. Argentinians are one of the nationalities that uses Spanish the best, right after Spaniards. They have a very particular accent, but it's clear and good.
It's because the accent is so distinctive and different, and because of heavy and distinctive Argentinean vocabulary and grammar points like "vos" that are so prevalent in Argentina but aren't really used in most other Spanish speaking countries. For those reasons, Argentinean Spanish would sound completely foreign and diffcult to someone who is trying to learn Spanish and who is most likely used to hearing Mexican or Central and Northern South American Spanish. So yeah, Argentinean Spanish could DEFINITELY be imposing for a Spanish learner, as opposed to someone who already is fluent in Spanish, which is probably the standpoint you are thinking from.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It's because the accent is so distinctive and different, and because of heavy and distinctive Argentinean vocabulary and grammar points like "vos" that are so prevalent in Argentina but aren't really used in most other Spanish speaking countries.

"vos" is used in most countries of Latin America, to a greater or lesser extent, actually:

Here in Colombia, its use is common in the 2nd and 3rd biggest cities on the country, and in a huge area of Western Colombia.

Quote:
For those reasons, Argentinean Spanish would sound completely foreign and diffcult to someone who is trying to learn Spanish and who is most likely used to hearing Mexican or Central and Northern South American Spanish. So yeah, Argentinean Spanish could DEFINITELY be imposing for a Spanish learner, as opposed to someone who already is fluent in Spanish, which is probably the standpoint you are thinking from.
Argentinean movies and music are quite popular. Most Spanish speaking people don't know or can't distinguish well Central American accents (Guatemalan, Honduran, etc). But Argentinean is well known.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
"vos" is used in most countries of Latin America, to a greater or lesser extent, actually:

Here in Colombia, its use is common in the 2nd and 3rd biggest cities on the country, and in a huge area of Western Colombia.

Argentinean movies and music are quite popular. Most Spanish speaking people don't know or can't distinguish well Central American accents (Guatemalan, Honduran, etc). But Argentinean is well known.
As the map shows, vos is used in several countries, but not that heavily. You hear it all the time in Argentinean Spanish, though, and for a person who doesn't use it heavily, it can be kind of disconcerting, just like "vosotros'' from Spain. And yeah, Argentinean movie and music are pretty dominant, but so are Reaggeton music and videos from Puerto Rico, and PLENTY of Latinos from other Spanish speaking countries will tell you that Puerto Rican Spanish is one of the most challenging dialects to understand to non-Puerto Ricans.

The question from the OP is more along the lines of which Spanish is easier for non-native speakers to learn and understand, though. You are thinking from the standpoint of a native Spanish speaker, or someone who is already very fluent in Spanish. That is why Argentinean Spanish is clear and easy to follow for you. But for someone from the U.S. who is more exposed to and more used to Mexican and Central American Spanish, Argentinean Spanish is VERY different and can be quite a challenge. Chilean Spanish, Spanish from Spain, and Caribbean Spanish (Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban) are also going to be difficult for someone who is not a native speaker and who learned and heard Spanish mostly from Mexicans and Central Americans to understand.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
As the map shows, vos is used in several countries, but not that heavily. You hear it all the time in Argentinean Spanish, though, and for a person who doesn't use it heavily, it can be kind of disconcerting, just like "vosotros'' from Spain. And yeah, Argentinean movie and music are pretty dominant, but so are Reaggeton music and videos from Puerto Rico, and PLENTY of Latinos from other Spanish speaking countries will tell you that Puerto Rican Spanish is one of the most challenging dialects to understand to non-Puerto Ricans.

The question from the OP is more along the lines of which Spanish is easier for non-native speakers to learn and understand, though. You are thinking from the standpoint of a native Spanish speaker, or someone who is already very fluent in Spanish. That is why Argentinean Spanish is clear and easy to follow for you. But for someone from the U.S. who is more exposed to and more used to Mexican and Central American Spanish, Argentinean Spanish is VERY different and can be quite a challenge. Chilean Spanish, Spanish from Spain, and Caribbean Spanish (Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban) are also going to be difficult for someone who is not a native speaker and who learned and heard Spanish mostly from Mexicans and Central Americans to understand.
I see the OP is from NYC, so for him, or for someone from Florida, Caribbean Spanish might be the easiest to understand since that's the type of Spanish most prevalent there. If he were in Texas, California, or most other parts of the U.S. Mexican and Central American Spanish would probably be easier for him to understand and learn as a beginner. But both are a long way from Argentinean Spanish, which IS fairly clear and easy to understand once you learn Spanish in general, but not for a beginner who is used to hearing mostly non-Argentinean Spanish. Also, the OP is not going to be hearing or using Argentinean Spanish when he gets back to the States, so he might want to pick a country with a common Spanish dialect to study Spanish in.

Last edited by Julio July; 02-26-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM

422 posts, read 346,292 times
Quote:
Colombia too. We have Caribbean accent, Pastuso accent (somewhat similar to Ecuadorian), the accent of the Pacific (which as an African musicality), and the Andean ones (the Paisa one in particular has a very distinguisheable musicality).

In Spain, people, on general terms, have a decent use of grammar. In Colombia it varies a lot. Well educated people speaks some of the best Spanish there is. Not so well educated people, although speaking phonetically well (on general terms), may usually have a poor vocabulary and grammar.

Fortunately it can be fixed with a better education system. Growing access to internet and media in general is also helping to homogeinize Spanish in Colombia and other countries.

that's just prejudice and lack of familiarity with it. I'm Colombian and I don't have a problem with it.

Chile indeed has a very particular Spanish.
Hmmmmm I dont think it is prejudism, it is simply that we dont like that accent. We understand it. We just simply dont like it. When they use the "os" before the verbs, or when they use the "eis" ending as in "visteis" lord that sounds awful, but then again, we understand it, probably if they use regionalisms, we wont be able to understand some words, but by the context of the conversation, we will know what they are saying.

¿De onde seis vos?

Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:

¿De onde seis vos?
what language is that? :-DD

and who is "we" (like in "we just don't like it")?

I know that many people don't like the Spanish accent because of lack of familiarity with it, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't like the "eis" or the "os".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or