U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM

10,869 posts, read 10,562,884 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread.

I guess this little argument is like the North American saying he "hates English English" (English as spoken in England). Although I am North American, I guess I just don't "get" that attitude. After all, The English speak English. I speak a dialect of English. Who am I to rip on the English of England? If I say I hate English English, am I then stating that I don't like the English language?

As for Spanish, I've always preferred the Madrid variety from Spain and that of Argentina. What I hear most often is Mexican Spanish. But really, I like the sound of most any Spanish, although I'd have to say certain dialects from the Caribbean are my least favorite. As for my understanding and speaking, I love the Spanish from those areas in which they speak more ... s l o w l y ... !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM

422 posts, read 345,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
what language is that? :-DD

and who is "we" (like in "we just don't like it")?

I know that many people don't like the Spanish accent because of lack of familiarity with it, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't like the "eis" or the "os".

Hahaha ¿De onde seis vos? That is Spanish. It is just one of the different pronunciations, it means ¿De donde eres? Where are you from? Go ahead and say it real fast and you will hear the Spanish in it.

We, well I am talking about most Latinos whom I have dealt with all throughout my life.

We have a lot of Spaniards living here and they own most furniture stores and cantinas and believe me, we are used to their Spanish, but as I said, it sounds weird. We even have a (I dont know whether to call it Club or Society of Spaniards living here and believe me, they are everywhere.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM

713 posts, read 475,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Hahaha ¿De onde seis vos? That is Spanish. It is just one of the different pronunciations, it means ¿De donde eres? Where are you from? Go ahead and say it real fast and you will hear the Spanish in it.

We, well I am talking about most Latinos whom I have dealt with all throughout my life.

We have a lot of Spaniards living here and they own most furniture stores and cantinas and believe me, we are used to their Spanish, but as I said, it sounds weird. We even have a (I dont know whether to call it Club or Society of Spaniards living here and believe me, they are everywhere.
But a Spaniard would say "¿De dónde eres (tú)? if he/she is addressing you. If he is addresing a two or more people, he/she would say "¿De dónde sois (vosotros)?" (not "vos", which is not used in Spain).

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
But a Spaniard would say "¿De dónde eres (tú)? if he/she is addressing you. If he is addresing a two or more people, he/she would say "¿De dónde sois (vosotros)?" (not "vos", which is not used in Spain).
Well the use of "vosotros" has changed entirely to the point that it is rarely used outside Spain. We have changed the use of "vosotros" for "ustedes" and it is more common to hear ¿De dónde son ustedes? than to hear "¿De dónde sois vosotros?" hmmm as I said, outside Spain, I don't think you will hear such an expression, unless they want to bother you or are messing around with you and can ask you ¿De onde seis vos?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Well the use of "vosotros" has changed entirely to the point that it is rarely used outside Spain. We have changed the use of "vosotros" for "ustedes" and it is more common to hear ¿De dónde son ustedes? than to hear "¿De dónde sois vosotros?" hmmm as I said, outside Spain, I don't think you will hear such an expression, unless they want to bother you or are messing around with you and can ask you ¿De onde seis vos?
When students from the U.S. go to study Spanish in Spain, they are taught both forms because Spanish professors are well aware that the vosotros form is not commonly used in the U.S. This is mentioned continuously in study abroad Spanish courses.

Spain is very up to date with all Spanish trends outside of Spain. They know it is to their benefit.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
When students from the U.S. go to study Spanish in Spain, they are taught both forms because Spanish professors are well aware that the vosotros form is not commonly used in the U.S. This is mentioned continuously in study abroad Spanish courses.

Spain is very up to date with all Spanish trends outside of Spain. They know it is to their benefit.
Even in Latinamerica is taught the vosotros pronoun, yet, when having an everyday conversation amongst us, we will normally use the ustedes form. But as I said, it is taught when teaching Spanish, even in our regular schools for native speakers, they teach the vosotros form but when talking use the other versión.

Another pronoun which hasn´t been mentioned here is "USTED" which is a formal form of the tu/vos pronouns, if you are speaking to a person whom you do not know, or you have to show him respect, you can't use the form tu/vos, it calls for respect, therefore we will address him/her as usted.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 PM

5,083 posts, read 9,091,149 times
Instead of debating it just go anywhere to start. A total beginners class is about the same no matter where you go. So go wherever you feel most comfortable and easiest to get to. You aren't going to learn a whole lot beyond simple usted forms in that and much of what you will learn is vocabulary. A few levels up and then start to concern yourself with the type of Spanish you will want to learn and the location/quality of the school. And always remember you learn 10 times as much just using it in the "streets" as you do in a class so focus on how and where you will get that learning experience.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 339 times
Quote:
Instead of debating it just go anywhere to start.
I agree with Willy702 - instead of debating just get started with the language learning!
I myself am in Ecuador right now, and I find it a good place to learn Spanish, because people here are speaking very clearly and understandable, so even for beginners it´s easy to communicate here, plus the Ecuadorians are very helpful and friendly people!
I can recommend Ailola Quito, that´s where I took Spanish classes before traveling. They even have locations all over Ecuador, so check it out (Learn Spanish at our language schools in Quito & Otavalo, Ecuador - Spanish courses since 1988*|*Ailola Quito)
So, have fun studying one of the most beautiful languages!

Saludos, Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or