Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 AM

88 posts, read 365,931 times

Advertisements

What are the most European Caribbean Islands (Or areas on these islands)? I ask in terms of infrastructure, architecture, city planning?

I nominate Havana, Cuba; Old San Juan, PR; and Willemstad, Curacao. Thoughts? Any more?

Last edited by nykeroutoftown; 11-06-2010 at 02:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:50 AM

112 posts, read 281,199 times
I know you won´t like my answer, but I say Cayman Islands and all other Special Member State territories of the European Union in the Caribbean.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
French West Indies

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
Since all the Caribbean was colonized by Europeans at one point, most of the island will still have Europeans influences.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:13 PM

88 posts, read 365,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Since all the Caribbean was colonized by Europeans at one point, most of the island will still have Europeans influences.
Yes but the question is along the lines of infrastructure, architecture, city/town layout.

I don't see it for those two examples? Pics? Info?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykeroutoftown View Post
Yes but the question is along the lines of infrastructure, architecture, city/town layout.
A lot of the architecture and infrastructure is a special hybrid mix of English, French, African, Dutch, Spanish, maybe Arawak and Carib - like the patois dialects, and beautiful creole girls - better than the sum of the parts. There's more diversity in the Caribbean than people sometimes know.

Words like "Caribbean" and "canoe" come from the Caribs, other influences from the Maroons in Jamaica, east Indians, Dutch, Chinese, quite a few of the leading businessmen in Dominica are Lebanese, some islands like Dominica went back and forth between French and English colonization until independence in the 1980's.

Of architecture, there's the most charming public library in Roseau, Dominica built, like many libraries in the islands, by the Rockefeller family. I visited the president's office on Morne Bruce when my late friend His Excellency Sir Clarence Seignoret, O.B.E., G.C.B. was President. It was a very unimposing Caribbean moderne style that you see all over the region unfortunately. The Catholic church in Castries, St. Lucia is a really cool and beautiful traditional church and all the images of Jesus, Mary, the Apostles, etc. have African faces. A lot of plain block and stucco houses because wood doesn't stand the hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas