U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 42,037 times

Advertisements

OK, are you talking Panama City, Florida or Panama City, Panama? There is a difference. If you're talking about Panama City, Florida there are no mountains here. Only beach, swamps, and bitting gnats. I feel confident that your talking about some place nicer than this hell-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,731,216 times
I've heard better things about "Costa Rica"

Argentines tel me that Panama can be kind of sketchy and dangerous but Costa Rica is "tranquillo"

Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I've heard better things about "Costa Rica"

Argentines tel me that Panama can be kind of sketchy and dangerous but Costa Rica is "tranquillo"
Experienced the same thing when on a cruise 3 years ago.

Costa Rica (Limon) felt like stepping into a Jurassic Park film, Hawaii-like beautiful green forests and mountains everywhere plus the people were friendly and helpful.

Panama (Colon) felt like stepping into a Escape from... film, Detroit-like industrial scenery, thought i was in Haiti at first sight lol, beggars/scammers everywhere and military/police on every corner with machine guns.
From all places i've visited it was by far the most dangerous/uncomfortable one to walk alone in, even more than Cartagena, Colombia.

Don't understand why cruise lines still visit this port

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-05-2014 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-05-2014, 03:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Costa Rica (Limon) felt like stepping into a Jurassic Park film, Hawaii-like beautiful green forests and mountains everywhere plus the people were friendly and helpful.

Panama (Colon) felt like stepping into a Escape from... film, Detroit-like industrial scenery, thought i was in Haiti at first sight lol, beggars/scammers everywhere and military/police on every corner with machine guns.
From all places i've visited it was by far the most dangerous/uncomfortable one to walk alone in, even more than Cartagena, Colombia.

Keep in mind that Colon City actually rivaled even Panama City, Panama in economic wealth and contributions up until the 1970s. Colón City was known as "Tasa De Oro" or "Golden Cup". Colón City has some interesting sites and it is home to where the Colón FREE TRADE ZONE is located. It's the second largest Free Trade Zone in the entire WORLD, and generates a huge amount of revenue and money for the entire Republic of Panama. Lots of good deals for trade, shopping, no taxes, no tariffs, shopping, and much more. The Atlantic terminal side/port/exit and entry for the Panama Canal and former Panama Canal Zone is located there. Some barrios in Colón City are more dangerous than others. Colón City declined due to mass exodus of some of its inhabitants and brain drain and well to do affluent and educated peoples and families leaving the region and their institutions, businesses, professions, churches, schools, bakeries etc and much more for the USA and also to a lesser extent United Kingdom, Canada, and other parts of Europe, and even to the Caribbean islands. Many more also migrated to Panama province and to and towards the capital and in and around it and throughout the Pacific sides of Panama after Colon was further connected with the further stretches and infrastructure and new roads and constructions built to help further unify the country and further mutually connect each region and through transit. Many Colonenses migrated to seek better opportunities and enrichment.

Don't confuse the rest of Colón Province for Colón City. If you go to places outside of urban Colón City and venture into the more laid back rural and rustic regions of Colón you will see the important beauty and splendor that Colón Province has to offer. Places like Portobelo in the Costa Arriba region are definitely nice villages and towns to visit and travel too and you can partake in docking, fishing, sail boating, beaches, swimming in the oceans, seas, sites etc. Costa Abajo is also an area with lots of interesting things to see and try and much more.

COSTA ARRIBA refers to any area of Colon province that is EAST of Colón City/EAST of the ATLANTIC side of the Canal.

COSTA ABAJO refers to any area of Colon province that is WEST of Colón City/WEST of the ATLANTIC side of the Canal.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-05-2014 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Panama has so much to offer. You'd be amazed at what else is present throughout the rest of Panama.

Colon City has a bad reputation with the locals of Colon City being considered lazy, on welfare, on the dole, asking for and wanting hand outs and not wanting to get jobs etc. Even locals from outside of Colon City in other parts of Colon province believe this stereotype of a reputation about Colon City locals to be true. You can see the difference in mentality of other parts of Colon Province in comparison to those living in Costa Arriba and Costa Abajo.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 AM

Panama and Costa Rica are the most stable and most successful of the Central American nations.

But every nation has a variety of nice things to see, do, and offer. I would not pass up the opportunity to take advantage of traveling to the entire region.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Colón City is still better off than Haiti in every step of the imagination.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-05-2014 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Colon is an interesting place. I have read about the government spending more on improving infrastructure in Colon and also about the efforts to restore the historic center of the city, which has some really interesting architecture. The city has a lot of potential. I would have liked to visit Colon in the early 90s when the whole Spanish reggae scene was in full swing.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Colon is an interesting place. I have read about the government spending more on improving infrastructure in Colon and also about the efforts to restore the historic center of the city, which has some really interesting architecture. The city has a lot of potential. I would have liked to visit Colon in the early 90s when the whole Spanish reggae scene was in full swing.
Spanish reggae is still popular in Colon City. However the bulk of popular Spanish reggae music scene and reggaeton grew more so out of Panama City, Panama and it's barrios.

Also remember that Colón City was also referred to and known as and by the colloquial nickname of "Tasa De Oro" or "Golden Cup" during it's hey day. It rivaled Panama City, Panama for a significant portion and time period of the 20th century. So therefore Colón City has lots of potential.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:

Colón Free Trade Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zona Libre de Colón - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas