Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 AM

159 posts, read 456,285 times

Advertisements

I understand you can live pretty well with an income of $1,500 a month. What about living near the beach, mountains. From what I can gather from the Internet, it's a wonderful place to living cheaply, not a lot of crime, and very good medical. Lots of outdoorsy things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Do you like/enjoy/adore bugs ?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM

No

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM

172 posts, read 785,500 times
There are bugs everywhere on earth, I don't think it will be like a horror movie.
I have heard many good things about Panama, although I'd probably avoid Panama City. There is a Panama forum online, I'd search that for some additional info!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
There are bugs everywhere on earth, I don't think it will be like a horror movie....
Exactly, if you're afraid of bugs, don't go to NYC! If the cockroaches don't get you, the bed bugs will.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks, Texas. I was hoping someone would comment who lives in Panama. I wasn't thinking of living in Panama City, but a small town maybe in the mountains, but not far from the beach.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Hi Georgia,

I live in Boquete which is in the highlands of Chiriqui and have lived in Western Panama for 6 years this New Year's Eve. I'm very happy here, the cost of living is low and they're in the process of making the airport in the provincial capital of David (about 35-40 minutes down the hill) international. Make it much easier for people to travel to and from North America. The Pacific is about a 1 hour mas o menos drive from Boquete or hop a plane and it's 30 minutes to the Caribbean. Lower temps in the Caribbean but higher humidity and more bugs; the Pacific side is much hotter. I personally like living in a cooler climate, but there's something for everyone.

Oh and not a lot of bugs think Colorado in the spring except Boquete is known as the land of eternal spring so you have flowers, birds etc. year round. No need for heat or a/c and think my electric bill ran around $6 last month albiet I don't live in a large house and turn off lights as I leave a room.

I live in an all Panamanian neighborhood, always have, and have never had any problems at all. In fact I'm the white member of the family lol as everyone in my neighborhood is related. One night (though I don't recommend this as it was stupid), I left my keys in my door overnight - not one person took advantage of my stupidity.

Feel free to DM me if you have more questions as I don't always see posts about Panama. All I know is that there is no where else I'd rather live. Do keep in mind though that Panama is not little North America - there is a strong US influence with the canal; however, we have a rich culture and history. I'm answering this from my house on my high speed internet with satellite TV on in the background, so we have the amenities here that you're used to in the States. If you check out my blogs, you'll see a good article about Boquete recently published by AARP's magazine.

Oh and when I moved here I knew maybe 5 words of Spanish. The locals are very helpful especially when someone is trying to learn the language. The only thing they want is what everyone wants - to be treated with respect. Do that and you'll feel right at home.

Hope you have a good weekend, Joy

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Exactly, if you're afraid of bugs, don't go to NYC! If the cockroaches don't get you, the bed bugs will.
I lived in NYC for a few years, and saw almost none. It's an enormous city with tons of skyscrapers and everything else. Not exactly a big bug hangout....just in the stereotypes.

You gotta go do to rural areas for that. IMO.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 AM

Thank you so much Joy and Kristopher! Very good information. I'm not thinking of a move this year, but possibly in the future. I think I would love to live in Panama. I would be renting a small apartment. I would definitely come for a visit before making a decision. I really appreciate your information.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:05 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
Thank you so much Joy and Kristopher! Very good information. I'm not thinking of a move this year, but possibly in the future. I think I would love to live in Panama. I would be renting a small apartment. I would definitely come for a visit before making a decision. I really appreciate your information.
You're welcome and I think you're very smart to rent before you buy. That way you can make sure not only Panama, but what part of the country would be right for you. Take care, Joy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas