U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 107,437 times

Advertisements

do you need anything special as a american citizen to move and work in the caribbean, and what island from anyones personal exp are the best to live in as a english speaking american.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,845,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toumai View Post
do you need anything special as a american citizen to move and work in the caribbean, and what island from anyones personal exp are the best to live in as a english speaking american.

i hear Antigua , Bahamas, and Barbados have a nice American population.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 PM

i was looking to move there first then find a job what kind of work permits do i need to get and are they hard to obtain can i work somewhere before i get one

Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
What are you going to do there for work? They are mostly tourist industry types of jobs at incredibly low wages. You have many locals who MUST work in those jobs, and will work at any pay...as they can't get visas to work in the US or other countries.

So, you will have to compete with them.

Unless you have some special skills....or entrepreneural spirit with a lot of capital to get something started...then you have to really know what you are doing.

There are a few american carribbean islands that you can legally work on. But still going to have issues competing with locals for generally tourist-related and customer-service jobs.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 AM

any other help?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 PM

help

Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,596,305 times
You haven't said what kind of work you are looking for. Do you have any trade or professional qualifications ? You are unlikely to get a work permit if you are unskilled.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
If you want a place in the Caribbean that's English speaking, have you looked into our own backyard? I mean, we do have the U.S. Virgin Islands They are east of Puerto Rico (also a U.S. territory but English is not widely spoken)

Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

739 posts, read 1,609,356 times
Tournai, we lived in Nassau, Bahamas from 1983 to 1987. I saw very few jobs for 'ex-pats' where the people weren't sponsored by a bank or other organization. The jobs you may be looking for are all held by locals, very coveted and mostly acquired by nepotism.

I hate to discourage you but that is how it was. Very few Americans worked in any jobs other than those sponsored by a bank.

FWIW, we didn't enjoy living in the Caribbean AT ALL and were very happy to return home to the US.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
ilt

14 posts, read 300,344 times
hi; i'm from Trinidad and i'm not sure where u have in mind but just remember if you want to live in the Caribbean scratch the idea of spending all your time in the sun on a beach, Caribbean people work hard and the best paying jobs are for those holding a tertiary education. generally the most prized are doctors, engineers of all kinds, and with the construction industry rapidly growing architecture falls right in. farming isn't a bad choice if you're in to that however it's only worth it if you're doing it on a large scale with a technological approach. if you heart is really set on it don't get put off by all the media most of the smaller islands are great and wonderful to live. i have a uncle from Holland who's traveled all over the world but on his 1st visit to Tobago (the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago) fell in love and brought a house here and is moving here for retirement next year. i hope this helps and if you need anything else jus ask. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or