U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32367

Advertisements

I generally view such claims with great skepticism since it's always easy to blame problems on outsiders and Haiti's infrastructure is still all messed up.

However, when the Cholera's genetic markers indicate it's a strain from SE Asia and you have a bunch of UN troops just show up from that region having just experienced a Cholera breakout....that's an awful lot of red flags.

So, it seems quite likely the UN brought Cholera into Haiti, one would hope they'd take more precautions when entering a zone with enough health worries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
 
12,686 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Reputation: 34762
Rioting and destroying 500 tons of food in protest was certainly a regretably self-defeating event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Rioting and destroying 500 tons of food in protest was certainly a regretably self-defeating event.
Res Ipso Facto, it is Haiti after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
 
511 posts, read 632,040 times
Reputation: 409
It may have originated from Asia, but in general Cholera is very easy to control...Its just that, well this is Haiti we are talking about. For most Haitans, receiving Clean water is like wishing for mana from heaven to magically materialize for you [hint- it wont happen].

So sure. The disease may have originated in Asia, but international diseases enter every nation every day. Airplanes kind of lend themselves to it. If other countries can prevent Cholera outbreaks and Haiti cant ? The problem isnt Cholera or the UN, its Haiti and their poor sanitation standards [which literally = use the local stream as your bathtub and as your restroom].

These disease outbreaks wont stop in Haiti btw unless Haiti itself changes. Its simple cause and effect in action, its just easier to blame others than to fix your own problem.. Provide sanitation ? Disease goes down. Dont provide sanitation and allow people to use the local creek/canal/water fountain as their personal toilet bowel ? Disease. Oh and drink out of said creek/toilet bowel ? Even worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
It may have originated from Asia, but in general Cholera is very easy to control...Its just that, well this is Haiti we are talking about. For most Haitans, receiving Clean water is like wishing for mana from heaven to magically materialize for you [hint- it wont happen].

So sure. The disease may have originated in Asia, but international diseases enter every nation every day. Airplanes kind of lend themselves to it. If other countries can prevent Cholera outbreaks and Haiti cant ? The problem isnt Cholera or the UN, its Haiti and their poor sanitation standards [which literally = use the local stream as your bathtub and as your restroom].

These disease outbreaks wont stop in Haiti btw unless Haiti itself changes. Its simple cause and effect in action, its just easier to blame others than to fix your own problem.. Provide sanitation ? Disease goes down. Dont provide sanitation and allow people to use the local creek/canal/water fountain as their personal toilet bowel ? Disease. Oh and drink out of said creek/toilet bowel ? Even worse!
Well, they didn't have a cholera outbreak before with their crappy sanitation standards (they did have an earthquake mind you)....then the UN guys show up and about 1000 people die.

They've had steady state poor sanitation for a long time. So what changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM
 
511 posts, read 632,040 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, they didn't have a cholera outbreak before with their crappy sanitation standards (they did have an earthquake mind you)....then the UN guys show up and about 1000 people die.

They've had steady state poor sanitation for a long time. So what changed?
Cholera enters via the UN > Haiti's sub par sanitation standards dont hold up / People themselves over there dont practice common hygiene practices > Cholera spreads > People die.

One of the easiest ways to contain Cholera is simply boiling drinking water, and washing your hands before eating or cooking food. The fact that Cholera of all things is a epidemic over there...Is quite telling about the hygiene among the common person over there [no offense but Cholera is something of a joke to hear of as a epidemic, handsoap > Cholera, boiling water > Cholera].

And I do believe it came from Asia but that is besides the point, many many nations have UN aid workers present from Asia and Cholera is the last epidemic you would expect in those nations. If the common man does not at the very least, boil his drinking water if he got it from a river...Theres going to be disease and thats fertile ground for a easily preventable disease such as Cholera to spread..

Last edited by jonaos; 11-19-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Cholera enters via the UN > Haiti's sub par sanitation standards dont hold up / People themselves over there dont practice common hygiene practices > Cholera spreads > People die.

One of the easiest ways to contain Cholera is simply boiling drinking water, and washing your hands before eating or cooking food. The fact that Cholera of all things is a epidemic over there...Is quite telling about the hygiene among the common person over there [no offense but Cholera is something of a joke to hear of as a epidemic, handsoap > Cholera, boiling water > Cholera].

And I do believe it came from Asia but that is besides the point, many many nations have UN aid workers present from Asia and Cholera is the last epidemic you would expect in those nations. If the common man does not at the very least, boil his drinking water if he got it from a river...Theres going to be disease and thats fertile ground for a easily preventable disease such as Cholera to spread..
I find it ironic that the place is seriously wrecked to the point that the UN sends in forces and then when a cholera outbreak starts someone defends it by saying they should have better sanitaiton standards.

I mean how is the UN on a mission to help earthquake ravaged Haiti supposed to know that their infrastructure including sanitation etc. are severely compromised and that something "minor" like cholera could kill hundreds if not thousands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 PM
 
9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Reputation: 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Cholera enters via the UN > Haiti's sub par sanitation standards dont hold up / People themselves over there dont practice common hygiene practices > Cholera spreads > People die.

One of the easiest ways to contain Cholera is simply boiling drinking water, and washing your hands before eating or cooking food. The fact that Cholera of all things is a epidemic over there...Is quite telling about the hygiene among the common person over there [no offense but Cholera is something of a joke to hear of as a epidemic, handsoap > Cholera, boiling water > Cholera].

And I do believe it came from Asia but that is besides the point, many many nations have UN aid workers present from Asia and Cholera is the last epidemic you would expect in those nations. If the common man does not at the very least, boil his drinking water if he got it from a river...Theres going to be disease and thats fertile ground for a easily preventable disease such as Cholera to spread..

they don't have soap, water, pots to boil water in, fuel to create fire to boil, not everyone has access to a river and if they did that river is clogged with crap..........yep, its all their fault, why don't they use Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 PM
 
511 posts, read 632,040 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
they don't have soap, water, pots to boil water in, fuel to create fire to boil, not everyone has access to a river and if they did that river is clogged with crap..........yep, its all their fault, why don't they use Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer?
And whos fault is that, the UN ? The ones who are sending millions of tons of sanitized food and water a year to keep them from starving ? Nope I dont think the UN is at any fault here. Sure, protest and assault the UN. Go ahead and get rid of them...Then millions will be starving as opposed to 1000 dying from a disease that is preventable.

And as far as boiling water goes...they obviously cook their meals, I mean I really doubt they eat raw meat and never cook it. But correct me if I am wrong. That requires a heat source which can boil water.

Like it or not but a lack of common sense is one of Haiti's problems. And that extends to boiling your water so you dont contract Cholera, or any other number of diseases which are rampant in Haiti yet you dont hear of. Also using your source of water as a toilet bowel is not a good idea etc etc etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
It came from NEPAL - South Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top