U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,472,317 times

Advertisements

Uruguay? cheap nice, safe and most modern out of all latin american countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM

89 posts, read 184,507 times
Why is everyone saying Colombia do you want to kill him. Mr 12. Go to Peru it's just as safe as the USA. Colombia is very unsafe More unsafe then South Africa.

DO NOT GO TO COLOMBIA AT ALL.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunicorn12 View Post
I'm a high school student thinking about taking a year off before college to become completely fluent in spanish. I have taken 5 years of spanish classes at school. I would like to stay somewhere where I can be immersed in the language, be able to see the beauty of the country, live fairly cheaply, and feel safe. I'm currently looking into Spain, Costa Rica and Argentina. Any suggestions?
What kind of Spanish do you want to learn?

You really need to research exactly what kind of Spanish you might learn in each place.

For example, I moved to Chile with a vague idea of learning Spanish there, but mainly went to teach English. However, quickly I learned that their Spanish was nearly unrecognizeable to most other Spanish-speakers. They clip many syllables, and just very different. They publish a popular book sold throughout Santiago, 'how to speak Chilean' with all the various ways they speak Spanish in CHile compared to everywhere else.

I heard that Argentinian SPanish was very close to Chilean, whereas it was also suppose to be nearly unrecognizeable to other spanish-speakers.

Then you have SPAIN itself. Do you want to learn Spanish to speak with European people or Latinos from Latin America? I studied Spanish in South AMerica, and later moved to Spain, and had an immense language barrier problem in Spain.

The PUREST Spanish, I mean, phonetically spoken and with the fewest 'slang words' particular to only one country, are generally found in the ANDEAN MOUNTAINS. This means, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru. They speak very slow and clearly and phonetically. So what you read, you'll hear. It just makes it easier to apply it to other types of SPanish speakers you'll hear elsewhere.

Carribbean Spanish is supposedly very clipped and omits a lot, and has tons of regional slangs.

Hope that helps, in short, I'd skip Spain (unless you are interested in Spain and not so interested Latin AMerica), and I'd skip Argentina (unless you are specifically interested MAINLY in Argentina). Of the three, maybe by default, Costa Rica.

IF you want a generic Spanish that would apply to as much as the Spanish speaking word as possible, I'd focus on Andean Mountain Spanish - i.e. Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,144,009 times
Spain suggest!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 16,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What kind of Spanish do you want to learn?

You really need to research exactly what kind of Spanish you might learn in each place.

For example, I moved to Chile with a vague idea of learning Spanish there, but mainly went to teach English. However, quickly I learned that their Spanish was nearly unrecognizeable to most other Spanish-speakers. They clip many syllables, and just very different. They publish a popular book sold throughout Santiago, 'how to speak Chilean' with all the various ways they speak Spanish in CHile compared to everywhere else.

I heard that Argentinian SPanish was very close to Chilean, whereas it was also suppose to be nearly unrecognizeable to other spanish-speakers.

Then you have SPAIN itself. Do you want to learn Spanish to speak with European people or Latinos from Latin America? I studied Spanish in South AMerica, and later moved to Spain, and had an immense language barrier problem in Spain.

The PUREST Spanish, I mean, phonetically spoken and with the fewest 'slang words' particular to only one country, are generally found in the ANDEAN MOUNTAINS. This means, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru. They speak very slow and clearly and phonetically. So what you read, you'll hear. It just makes it easier to apply it to other types of SPanish speakers you'll hear elsewhere.

Carribbean Spanish is supposedly very clipped and omits a lot, and has tons of regional slangs.

Hope that helps, in short, I'd skip Spain (unless you are interested in Spain and not so interested Latin AMerica), and I'd skip Argentina (unless you are specifically interested MAINLY in Argentina). Of the three, maybe by default, Costa Rica.

IF you want a generic Spanish that would apply to as much as the Spanish speaking word as possible, I'd focus on Andean Mountain Spanish - i.e. Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador.
Thank you, this is really helpful! In school we're learning Mexican spanish, so I was worried about going to places where the spanish is very different. This really helps my decision.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are a couple of very nice university towns that come to mind: Sucre, Bolivia, and Merida, Venezuela. They are beautiful, interesting cities, a lot of students around to keep life exciting for a person your age, and affordable places to live. Neither has a beach. If that is a requirement, try Vina del Mar, Chile, but that can be expensive in the high season.
I did research on these 3 places and I am LOVING Sucre. Thank you!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
Yes I would Suggest Peru to you becouse the Crime Rate is the lowest out of them inthat Area that your talking about.
Ive been to South America If you are looking for a Spainsh Speking Country Peru will the place.
Lima Peru is a nice place to live got Good Culture, food, nightlife and Warm Climte and the people are Really Friendly. Peru Country is also nice place good for walking. When I was in Peru I lost 10kg for walking in the Country side.
I was their for 1.5 Years best 1.5 years of my life was in Peru.

The Only thing that you would have to Worrie About is mud slides but it safe. Way Safer then Brazil, Colombia and Venzuela.
If you go anywhere in Latin America go to Peru.
Do you have any specific places to go in Peru?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I spent 10 months in South America, which included 1 month in Peru.

I didn't find PERU safe at all. They won't even sell tickets to foreigners to go directly by bus from Lima to Cuzco. Way too many bus hijackings and kidnappings in the part of Peru between those two cities. Cuzco has a ton of tourists, but many of them get robbed or pickpocketed. Lima is a bit dicey too. I mean, PERU has a lot to offer from a touristic standpoint, but anyone saying it is safe, probably hasn't spent much time there. That being said, I'd recommend Cuzco if someone was intent on Peru.

Bolivia, however, felt the safest by large margins. Bolivians just didn't really care one way or another when they saw a foreigner, just completely indifferent. Whereas in Peru, I always felt your presence was acknowledged, and someone was devising a scheme to separate a few dollars or euros from your pockets.

I also felt quite safe in Ecuador, but later heard that as the economy went turbulent, it changed. Unsure how it is now.

Chile is the safest by far, but the Spanish spoken there is very clipped and unique. Not the best place to learn a generic Spanish that will be understood easily by most other spanish-speakers.

Personally, if I were going to go back to South America. I would probably choose Ecuador, just because I liked that it was a microcosm of South America - i.e. you have Pacific coastline and beaches on one side, you have amazon jungle on the other side, and a mountain range going right up the middle with permanant spring-like climates. Plus, the Spanish there is a clear, phonetic, not-so-many slangs, etc. of Spanish. However, I don't know how the safety issue is with Ecuador at this time.

Outside of Ecuador, I would choose BOLIVIA, just because it also has that clear, phonetic, well-spoken Spanish, PLUS there was a safety I felt there that I didn't always feel in other spanish-speaking countries in South America.

That being said, at this doesn't help with your case. But, personally, after spending a lot of time in Brazil, I found myself fascinating with the possibilty of Colombia. I doubt I'd recommend Colombia though, unless of course someone was particularly interested in Colombia above all others.

I also just want to say I know very little about Central American spanish, and that Mexican Spanish has a ton of slang, and a unique accent on it. But from an American perspective, Mexican Spanish is probably the Spanish we'll be hearing the most for a long time. Much more than other Spanish, unless you are planning to later live in Florida or New York - which has a more a much greater non-Mexican population of Spanish speakers.

All that being said, the Andean Spanish is a good Spanish to know that applies to many any Spanish you'll hear. Just because its stripped of more of the slang and clippings and such. Of course, if you are later going to be around a lot of Mexican Spanish speakers, you'll later have to learn their slang and unique way of speaking of Spanish.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-03-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 13,040 times
Santiago

Old 01-04-2011, 03:36 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,930,511 times
Look into Uruguay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or