U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Reputation: 36087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
Why is everyone saying Colombia do you want to kill him. Mr 12. Go to Peru it's just as safe as the USA. Colombia is very unsafe More unsafe then South Africa.

DO NOT GO TO COLOMBIA AT ALL.
Things have changed. Medellin is now considered a very safe city. Bogota and Barranquilla are still pretty dicy, but no worse than similar cities elsewhere, and there are a few localities where wandering in the countryside is not recommended, but everyone knows where those are and will warn you about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 AM
 
2,227 posts, read 4,433,817 times
Reputation: 1020
Chileans speak Spanish with a Chilean accent, they speak and write good Spanish and they have a plethora of good writers.
Chileans and Latin Americans in Spain do not have any language barrier in Spain whatsoever, in fact most of them speak better Spanish.
Spanish spoken in Latin America is older, more flamboyant and far more traditional than coloquial Spanish spoken in Spain.
Spanish spoken in Spain is a very fast and concise language, for example, the word "vale" (OK) removes many complimentary words used in Latin America.
Latin Americans have a better command of oral Spanish because they talk more among themselves, just like in Spain 50 years ago. People in Spain are always in a hurry nowdays and people watch too much television, not forgetting the fact that Spain has four official languages and some very tough dialects.
Peruvians and Colombians speak a very good Spanish, the recent Nobel Prize Vargas Llosa is Peruvian.
During the last 60 years Spanish spoken in Spain has evolved more than in Latin America, becoming a very direct and fast language, eliminating words, phrases and sayings that were considered redundant, there's also an abusive use of buzzwords and official language that removes courteous Spanish.
For example, when a Colombian takes a taxi in Madrid, he says "Good morning, could you take me to calle xxxxx to visit the dental clinic there?". A Spaniard would say, "calle xxxx, vale? or "calle xxx".

Last edited by Manolón; 01-06-2011 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Reputation: 36087
It has been my observation that the Spanish spoken in the Andean countries is easier to understand then elsewhere in South America. I theorize that this is because so many people in the Andes still speak a pre-columbian language as their every-day language at home, and use Spanish as a second language. As a result, their Spanish is spoken more slowly and carefully and less idiomatically, similar to the way I speak Spanish as a second language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Santiago, Chile
44 posts, read 206,141 times
Reputation: 46
Safest country: Chile.
Friendliest country, best people: Brazil, Colombia
Best Food: Peru
Best spanish: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia
Worst spanish: Chile, Argentina and all Caribbeans countries
Most expensive: Chile, Brazil
Cheapest: Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
Safest country: Chile.
Friendliest country, best people: Brazil, Colombia
Best Food: Peru
Best spanish: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia
Worst spanish: Chile, Argentina and all Caribbeans countries
Most expensive: Chile, Brazil
Cheapest: Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador
I pretty much agree with all that you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Reputation: 4531
Costa-Rica, anyone ?
Or is Pura Vida not what it used to be anymore ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,612 posts, read 10,671,815 times
Reputation: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post

Chileans and Latin Americans in Spain do not have any language barrier in Spain whatsoever.

Spanish is my sixth language, I have conversed in Spanish from Madrid to the Pacific, with Miami in between, and never had any trouble in understanding based on regional or country accent, including all kinds of Spanish-speakers in Miami.

The times I have had trouble understanding were due to the enunciation and speed of the individual speaker, at times related to level of education, but mainly because the speaker is too lazy to move his lips and tongue properly while uttering or my lack of attention to a fast speaker. And that goes for any language.

In contrast, I find the difference between northern and southern Italian to be greater than, say, the difference between a Colombian accent and an Argentine accent, but, again, in Italy too it depends on the education of the speaker, especially if southern.

In any case, to the OP I'd say to study and review the grammar as much as possible, among other reasons to recognize what "mistakes" even native-Spanish speakers make. As for location, based on the "Spain is in Europe" argument (thread to that effect several months back), try to go to Spain first, then somewhere in Latin America later, you'll love yourself for it.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
830 posts, read 2,075,099 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Chileans speak Spanish with a Chilean accent, they speak and write good Spanish and they have a plethora of good writers.
Chileans and Latin Americans in Spain do not have any language barrier in Spain whatsoever, in fact most of them speak better Spanish.
Spanish spoken in Latin America is older, more flamboyant and far more traditional than coloquial Spanish spoken in Spain.
Spanish spoken in Spain is a very fast and concise language, for example, the word "vale" (OK) removes many complimentary words used in Latin America.
Latin Americans have a better command of oral Spanish because they talk more among themselves, just like in Spain 50 years ago. People in Spain are always in a hurry nowdays and people watch too much television, not forgetting the fact that Spain has four official languages and some very tough dialects.
Peruvians and Colombians speak a very good Spanish, the recent Nobel Prize Vargas Llosa is Peruvian.
During the last 60 years Spanish spoken in Spain has evolved more than in Latin America, becoming a very direct and fast language, eliminating words, phrases and sayings that were considered redundant, there's also an abusive use of buzzwords and official language that removes courteous Spanish.
For example, when a Colombian takes a taxi in Madrid, he says "Good morning, could you take me to calle xxxxx to visit the dental clinic there?". A Spaniard would say, "calle xxxx, vale? or "calle xxx".
Well, I think what you say is a bit of a generalization. While it is true there are differences between Spain and Latin America, it's not that easy. You say that a Spaniard would use fewer words to say the same thing. Well, an Argentinian would also use very few words in "Could you take me to calle xxxx to visit....". And sometimes Spaniards use more words where most Latin Americans use less. To me the difference is not so clear cut.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires
33 posts, read 76,647 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
Safest country: Chile.
Friendliest country, best people: Brazil, Colombia
Best Food: Peru
Best spanish: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia
Worst spanish: Chile, Argentina and all Caribbeans countries
Most expensive: Chile, Brazil
Cheapest: Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador

I will do my own:
Safest country: Chile, uruguay.
Friendliest country, best people: In brazil they seak portuguese not spanish so count them off. I dont know which is the friendliest country. I think all of them counts.
Best Food: I dont like peruvian food at all as i dont like fish. I prefer argentine food as i am argentinian. It dependes you cant generalize.
Best spanish: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia. What??? why not argentina or uruguay?
Worst spanish: Chile, Argentina and all Caribbeans countries . What??? the real spanish is the one spoken in spain the rest are derivatives so i think that none of them es best than the other.
Most expensive: Chile, Brazil. Argentina is pretty exepensive too.
Cheapest: Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador. Probably yes

In clonclusion. I dont knok why people are saying peru but i wouldnt suggest it at all.

The safest country in LA is chile so there is where i would go if i would wnta to travel to SA to study. In fact i dont understand why anyone could want that but its up to you.

Also in chile you have a couple of recognized universities so that will help.

In second place i would go to argentina which has as least as many academic options as chile but isnt as safe (well at least in the main provinces)

Dont even bother with the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 8,051,483 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
Safest country: Chile.
Friendliest country, best people: Brazil, Colombia
Best Food: Peru
Best spanish: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia
Worst spanish: Chile, Argentina and all Caribbeans countries
Most expensive: Chile, Brazil
Cheapest: Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador
If the interest in learning Spanish then scratch Brazil completely off you list. Portugese is the official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top