U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
Medellin had 2,899 murders(2009) in a city of ~2,600,000.
Bogota had 1,401 murders in a city of ~9,500,000.

You decide which is safer.
On a planet in which property crimes exceed murders by a factor of maybe 1,000, your statistics are not at all useful in judging the relative safety of places. It's like saying Jersey City is safer than Topeka because they don't have as many tornadoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM

342 posts, read 1,729,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
In Cartagena and Bogota there are so many police around that it is unlikely that anyone is going to try to rob or kidnap you. Also I say this as someone who has actually been inside the country.
Have you ever been to Colombia?

The first night I was in Cartagena I was attacked in the street and almost killed. I was in a very high visibility area directly in front of the convention center and the entrance to old town. There was an event at the convention center and thousands of people around - but not one police officer.

After I was attacked it took me about 20 minutes to find a police station. Once I got there they were "too busy" to help me. An hour later a police officer went with me to try to find the attacker but of course he had gone somewhere else by that point.

I have traveled all over the world to more than 50 countries many of which are not safe. Colombia is the only place I have ever been physically attacked.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,187,792 times
As a matter of fact yes I have, I went there last year and I have encountered no problems aside from people trying to sell me overpriced crap. I also know several people that have traveled there recently and they also did not encounter any problems.

Sorry you had a bad experience with crime there, but crime can happen anywhere even in the US. Honestly I have had more "shady" encounters in the US than anywhere else in the world and that includes many "developing" countries.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM

199 posts, read 599,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. Pretty euro style women, spanish speakers, decently developed cities. No african people there. (avoid if u arent white, racism is rampant there).
What an ignorant comment. Uruguay has many blacks. I can't say the same for Chile or Argentina, but racism isn't a huge problem there anyways.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 PM

294 posts, read 610,323 times
Quote:
What an ignorant comment. Uruguay has many blacks. I can't say the same for Chile or Argentina, but racism isn't a huge problem there anyways.
Racism is an issue in these countries alright; where as classism is rampant in the rest of Latin American countries. You just have to immerse yourself in their language and mannerism to understand it. Maybe the way he/she said it was charged with a bit of bogotry, but racism is a reality in these countries whether you ike it or not.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM

230 posts, read 783,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Racism is an issue in these countries alright; where as classism is rampant in the rest of Latin American countries. You just have to immerse yourself in their language and mannerism to understand it. Maybe the way he/she said it was charged with a bit of bogotry, but racism is a reality in these countries whether you ike it or not.

Racism is a problem in many other parts of Latin America. It is usually disguised as classism. It is usually done informally and is less obvious than in the United States for example. In many countries in Latin America the more indigenous or black a person looks the more difficult it is for them to get a good job and the more difficult it is for them to move up the management ladder. It is always claimed to be classism but color and ethnic facial features are intertwined in almost all Latin American counties with class. Even in a country like Mexico with a relatively large brown middle class one only needs to go to the top companies and see how many people with Indian features are working in important positions. Yes they will have Brown people working at the company but usually whites are still favored and will represent a much larger share than the overall white population. At most of the companies where I taught almost all the management positions were held by whites. Or as I told my Brown American friend when he complained about the lack of "color" at the Mexican companies where he was teaching: "They have people that work there that look like you, they're called janitors."

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Racism is a problem in many other parts of Latin America. It is usually disguised as classism. It is usually done informally and is less obvious than in the United States for example. In many countries in Latin America the more indigenous or black a person looks the more difficult it is for them to get a good job and the more difficult it is for them to move up the management ladder. It is always claimed to be classism but color and ethnic facial features are intertwined in almost all Latin American counties with class. Even in a country like Mexico with a relatively large brown middle class one only needs to go to the top companies and see how many people with Indian features are working in important positions. Yes they will have Brown people working at the company but usually whites are still favored and will represent a much larger share than the overall white population. At most of the companies where I taught almost all the management positions were held by whites. Or as I told my Brown American friend when he complained about the lack of "color" at the Mexican companies where he was teaching: "They have people that work there that look like you, they're called janitors."
Trust me I know about this social issue vey well. I was, as you can read, addressing someone else's naive idea that there is no racism in Latin America. In countries like Venezuela were Mulatos, Sambos, and European descent Venezuelans struggle for economic power, the idea of classism is evident. However, in countries like Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay you will find the old fashion-in your face racism. Nothins less evident about that.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM

199 posts, read 599,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Racism is an issue in these countries alright; where as classism is rampant in the rest of Latin American countries. You just have to immerse yourself in their language and mannerism to understand it. Maybe the way he/she said it was charged with a bit of bigotry, but racism is a reality in these countries whether you ike it or not.
Racism may be an issue, but it is an issue everywhere. The fact is you wont be subject to a hate crime anywhere in Latin America. The worst you'll get is an ignorant comment that you may see as "racist". I am from Puerto Rico and I can tell you racism is almost non-existent.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM

230 posts, read 783,773 times
Quote:
Racism may be an issue, but it is an issue everywhere. The fact is you wont be subject to a hate crime anywhere in Latin America. The worst you'll get is an ignorant comment that you may see as "racist". I am from Puerto Rico and I can tell you racism is almost non-existent.

No hate crimes? This articles proves you wrong, if you can read Portuguese. Or is Brazil not Latin America?

Estudante foge de Jaguarão por causa de ameaças de PMs | Geral

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I have to respecfully disagree with you. Racism and its twin sister classism have done more demage than what you can imagine. In fact, if you ever bother to hear Chavez's rethoric, you will notice that race is one of his way to divide and conquer for his political power. In addition, social, political, and economic issues in Puerto Rico are so much different than the rest of your Southern neighbors in that respect; that this may be the reason why you can't relate to the issue in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or