U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 PM

189 posts, read 255,116 times

Advertisements

So, is there a general consensus as to which would provide a more comfortable environment for an asian tourist?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
So, is there a general consensus as to which would provide a more comfortable environment for an asian tourist?
Probably not, because I think few people have been to both Argentina and Spain.

I've actually been to both countries. However, I'm not Asian, so I can't 100% say for sure from an Asian perspective.

I will say that having spent 10 months in South America, that crime is always an issue in South America. I also spent 6 months in Spain, and pickpockets was the greatest (and most commonplace) crime that often occurs in Spain.

From a safety level, Argentina isn't bad by South American standards. But Spain would be much safer to travel around in than Argentina. Kind of typical Europe over South America in safety type issues.

Honestly, I've lived in Asia a long time, and have a ton of Asian-American friends as well as Asian friends. Generally, I think ANY Asian in any non-Asian country always has the possibility that someone might say something 'strange' at anytime. But I wouldn't say it is commonplace.

Heck, for that matter, I am white and live in Asia. From time to time, I get dumb stuff. People assume all Americans have guns, and will ask you about what kind of gun you have at home (I've never had a gun before). Despite having lived in Asia for over ten years, I still get people asking me if I can use chopsticks. In Korea (where I lived for a long time), people would congratuate me for eating kimchi - it's supposedly too hot for us (and personally I love the stuff, so ate it every meal that I lived in Korea). I also have Asian friends who grew up in the States who say that had to endure 'kung-fu' references and stereotypes.

Basically, I'm just saying this because ANY non-dominant person in ANY other type of country MIGHT hear the occassional strange thing from time to time. It just simply happens. I don't think you'll ever find a country where you can guarantee this will never happen.

If it makes you feel any better. When I lived in Spain, I studied in an international program where I had a lot of friends from Africa and Asia who I hung out with. I can't remember ever being anywhere with them that something weird happened. When I lived in Brazil, my Korean-American friend came down to visit, and had a great time. I can't remember any weird thing that happened when I was hanging out with him either. When I was traveling through Argentina, I wasn't with any Asian person at that time, but I don't think anything weird would have happened there either.

The only real precaution is that generally in South America, they have less money, so targets become anyone who looks foreigner. So, it COULD be an economic issue, but Argetina is generally better about that than other South American countries. I'm blue/blond guy, so was a huge target, but I still did everything I wanted to do at anytime. Generally the asian people I knew, were generally assumed to be Japanese tourists, so were in the same category for that - i.e. potentially $$ target. But, that being said, I'd still personally go back to South America in a mini-heartbeat.

Hope something in there helps with your decision.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,380 times
There is a large Asian community in Argentina in recent years have come many Koreans and Chinese in addition to the old Japanese who settled in our country. I disagree here discrimana the Paraguayans and Bolivians because they live here as 2,000,000 to nearly 1,000,000 Paraguayans and Bolivians. Most Argentines are very friendly, there may be some who think differently but I'm sure they are a tiny minority.
Remember that this country is immigration form that came from all over the world.
We have no racial or religious problems.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,649 times
I get mixed reviews in Spain regarding Asians though I did hear they do like the Filipinos (probably due to their cultural affinity with us since they were our colonial masters back in the day)...

However I have heard mostly great things in South America regarding their treatment of Asian people and Argentina isn't any different based on the reports I've heard!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 PM

33 posts, read 76,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
As an Argentina's neighbor I can confirm that's true. People from Bolivia or Paraguay or even Peru can find racism in Argentina (no violence). Asian people is ok anywhere in South America.
Im from buenos aires and this is just right.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM

230 posts, read 782,450 times
I live in Rio, but used to live in Argentina. I have Brazilian friends who are Asian decent and they travel to Argentina and have never had a big problem, that I know of. When I lived in Argentina I had two mixed American friends (black and white) in Cordoba and the girl used to get whistled at and called a Brazilian in the street sometimes. But I don´t think she ever felt threatened by it. I think it was just the excitement of the horny Argentine dudes in a provincial city seeing a "mulata". I think an Asian in a more provincial place may have something like this happen, but its not really racism just people having diarrhea of the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas