U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM

189 posts, read 255,187 times

Advertisements

I did a quick google search on racism in Argentina (Buenos Aires) and Spain (Madrid) and it appears to me, from blog posts and general consensus, that neither is really comfortable environment for Asian travelers (people generally would ignore Asians, often make taunting remarks, etc). Although there probably is not violence, I do not want to study abroad in an environment where my race pointed out and frequently mocked while being a mere pedestrian. This is quite unfortunate, as these are my preferred places to study abroad this summer. Honestly, how bad would racial prejudices be at both locations and which would be friendlier to Asians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
This was about a decade ago, so probably increased now. But I read that there were 30,000+ Koreans living in Buenos Aires. Probably more asians of other ethnicities on top of that....so could be even more.

So, just thinking that Argentina might not be too bad.

I lived in South Korea for years (previous to Japan), and have a really good friend who is Korean-American. He was traveling around in Eastern EUrope for awhile, and didn't always feel that comfortable.

I have another friend, a Korean-AMerican as well, and I invited him down to visit me in Sao Paulo Brazil when I lived there. He had such a great time, he made multiple return trips to Brazil long after I was gone.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-06-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,432,868 times
Oistrak

Asians are well liked and they are all around in Spain. You find Chinese, Japanese and Indian restaurants and supermarkets in the remotest cities of Spain. We have a China Town in Barcelona and Barcelona is a very HOT target for Japanese and now Chinese tourists.

Just the other day I visited a very traditional Spanish bar in Barcelona that had nice tapas and traditional Spanish dishes, they had a very nice array of tapas and all the clientele were locals....I was greatly surprised when I saw that all the staff and owners were Chinese, this is very good because they are preserving traditional bars abandoned by traditional owners that grow tired of the restaurant/bar business. We have a few top Chinese chefs cooking Spanish food.

Chinese are big in the wholesale industry here. There are also Filipinos, they are the oldest group here since they are related culturally and historically with Spain.

As to Argentina, I know the country and they don't have any quarrel whatsoever with Asians. They have a quarrel with illegal immigrants from Latin America and some weirdos and kooks dislike Jews.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM

212 posts, read 335,592 times
I've found that all Japanese who live in Spain have been called "Chino" at least once :-)

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
I don't think they don't like Asians in Argentina... Some of them don't like Brazilians, but Asians are OK!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM

346 posts, read 387,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I don't think they don't like Asians in Argentina... Some of them don't like Brazilians, but Asians are OK!
Yeah, I have heard that the illegal immigrants from Paraguay and Bolivia are the most hated. I don't know how true that is however.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM

189 posts, read 255,187 times
which country is generally friendlier to tourists?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

44 posts, read 206,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
Yeah, I have heard that the illegal immigrants from Paraguay and Bolivia are the most hated. I don't know how true that is however.

As an Argentina's neighbor I can confirm that's true. People from Bolivia or Paraguay or even Peru can find racism in Argentina (no violence). Asian people is ok anywhere in South America.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM

44 posts, read 206,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
which country is generally friendlier to tourists?
To me, Colombians and Brazilians (Sao Paulo) are the friendliest people in South-america. You can find a big Asian community (immigrant sons) in Brazil specially.

However, I think Chile or Argentina may be more prepared to receive tourists.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
Brazil is, at least, as prepared to receive tourists as Argentina or Chile, for not saying it's more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas