U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM

294 posts, read 609,333 times

Advertisements

Obesity is not a particular problem among Americans. The entire world population is undergoing a change which only tells you that the culprit is our diet. Long gone are those days when food was grown to feed the local population. Because of the amount needed to feed the current number of people, the costs associated with growing quality food, and the technology that makes it possible; we have forgone quality for quantity. In addition, the entire food industry is controlled by a few corporations that distribute foods all over the world. Keep in mind; I'm not necessarily talking about your average Burger King or McDonalds. All staple foods and rare foods are grown with a very special technological touch that will make feeding a planet with over 6 billion people possible. So don't expect quality. Therefore, you are what you eat.

Anyway, when I was kid obesity was a rare phenomenon. By the time I was in my late teens, we started to notice the expansion of fast food restaurants that never succeeded with the locals. Then during my mid twenties, companies like Monsanto were buying every farmland and every small food processing plant in the South East region of Venezuela. Fast forward 20 years. The last visit I did to Venezuela was overwhelming. There is, literally, one MacDonald or Burger King Restaurant in every corner of the city. When I left the country, we only had one MacDonald and two Pizza Huts in the entire city of Valencia. The grains, beans, and cereals that people consume are from patented samples from Monsanto grown and processed in Venezuelan and Colombian plants. The amount of obese people was truly amazing. Venezuela is not known for having such a large amount of fat people. Also, I’m sure that the problem will have an upward trend in years to come. So we no longer can attribute these problems to Americans alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM

230 posts, read 782,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Obesity is not a particular problem among Americans. The entire world population is undergoing a change which only tells you that the culprit is our diet. Long gone are those days when food was grown to feed the local population. Because of the amount needed to feed the current number of people, the costs associated with growing quality food, and the technology that makes it possible; we have forgone quality for quantity. In addition, the entire food industry is controlled by a few corporations that distribute foods all over the world. Keep in mind; I'm not necessarily talking about your average Burger King or McDonalds. All staple foods and rare foods are grown with a very special technological touch that will make feeding a planet with over 6 billion people possible. So don't expect quality. Therefore, you are what you eat.

Anyway, when I was kid obesity was a rare phenomenon. By the time I was in my late teens, we started to notice the expansion of fast food restaurants that never succeeded with the locals. Then during my mid twenties, companies like Monsanto were buying every farmland and every small food processing plant in the South East region of Venezuela. Fast forward 20 years. The last visit I did to Venezuela was overwhelming. There is, literally, one MacDonald or Burger King Restaurant in every corner of the city. When I left the country, we only had one MacDonald and two Pizza Huts in the entire city of Valencia. The grains, beans, and cereals that people consume are from patented samples from Monsanto grown and processed in Venezuelan and Colombian plants. The amount of obese people was truly amazing. Venezuela is not known for having such a large amount of fat people. Also, Iím sure that the problem will have an upward trend in years to come. So we no longer can attribute these problems to Americans alone.

You mean to tell me our genes haven't mutated over the past 20 years like the fat acceptance people would like me to believe?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM

294 posts, read 609,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
You mean to tell me our genes haven't mutated over the past 20 years like the fat acceptance people would like me to believe?

From diet to genes....

Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM

958 posts, read 1,208,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually I think the US is the largest 'large' country of large people. If that makes sense.

The most obese people in the world populate most of the smaller island nations of the Pacific - Western Samoa, Cook Islands, etc.
Very true, I live in the Bay Area and I have never seen a Pacific Islander who wasn't fat. That is why you will never see a Pacific Islander woman become a supermodel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas