U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times

Advertisements

Brazil's obesity rate could match US by 2022 - Telegraph

It isn't quite there yet, but according to the article, 46.6% are currently overweight, and 13.9% are clinically obese (1 in 7).

Not exactly the image I have of Brazil, must be changing quite a bit. (I was living there in 1997-1998), and I don't recall that being an issue. Actually I don't even recall seeing all that many fastfood restaurants either.

Anyone in Brazil long-term (I know we have a few regular posters here), or anyone had been there years ago and went again recently. Notice much of a change? 2022 is still aways away as well, who knows where the U.S. obesity levels might be at that time, so still might not match U.S. levels, but certainly at some bad levels if it matches where the U.S. is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 AM

346 posts, read 387,272 times
Is this a joke?

I guess this is what they meant when they said that Brazil was "growing/expanding"...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM

230 posts, read 783,132 times
I have been in Rio de Janeiro since 2001 and I can say there are noticeably more fat people now than when I arrived. I have seen this in the news several times, and would say it is probably true, but with a caveat. The proportion of overweight and obese people is rising and may reach United States levels, however, these overweight and obese people are not as heavy on average as in United States. For example and obese person on average in the United States may weigh 275 lbs (just making the number up to explain) while your average obese person here may weigh 250. They have still hit the obese range but aren´t as obese as your average obese American. It is still very rare to see the super wide loads that you see in the south and Midwest of the United States. Last time a took a plane back to Seattle I had to go through FAtlanta and was in shock. The quantity of people who looked like they were pushing 300 was amazing. This is still rare here. There is one girl in my neighborhood like this, but many chubby people who would still be considered overweight or maybe even obese. I doubt that people here will, on average, become as big as the United States for the simple fact that if they do their lives will become very uncomfortable. They won´t fit in bus seats or even be able to pass the turnstile. (I have seen a few fat people who couldn´t pass the turnstile on the bus here and I would say these people wouldn´t be much over average for a fat person in the south of the USA.) Even most cars here are small and if you were supper heavy would be uncomfortable whereas in the United States the car sizes seem to have grown with the size of the people.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Alot of Latino women seem well padded/slightly fat, but I don't normally think of obese Brazillians.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 PM

230 posts, read 783,132 times
I think it depends which Latinos you are talking about. Since Latinos are not a single genetic group (race if you want) this somewhat depends on the genetic makeup I think. When I lived in Mexico city the lower classes which are composed of mostly darker Mestizo and Indians were pretty roundly shaped but the White Mexicans of middle and upper class tended to be taller, skinnier and of course had different shaped bodies. In Argentina the girls are pretty skinny unless you go someplace like Jujuy which has a predominantly Indigenous population. There the girls are very round and short. Like most Bolivians except for the few white ones I have met. Brazil is such a mix of so many types of people, but very few indigenous, at least in Rio, that my genetic observation probably doesn´t hold weight.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
You mean Americans are at risk of not being the fattest people in the world anymore? I have no doubt we will find a way to continue to be #1.

The obesity rate in Mexico is lower than it is in the USA. We would be solidly at the top of the list, if it were not for all those illegal aliens slimming down our average.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean Americans are at risk of not being the fattest people in the world anymore? I have no doubt we will find a way to continue to be #1.

The obesity rate in Mexico is lower than it is in the USA. We would be solidly at the top of the list, if it were not for all those illegal aliens slimming down our average.
Actually I think the US is the largest 'large' country of large people. If that makes sense.

The most obese people in the world populate most of the smaller island nations of the Pacific - Western Samoa, Cook Islands, etc.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 55,568 times
Quote:

really??? actually alot of mexicans around here are as obese as the americans

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,948,252 times
Quote:

isn't mexico the 2nd or 3rd fattest country? they're not slimming us down, probably the opposite. i live in nova, tons of hispanics here, and so many are fat. i see a lot of huge black people too. same with white trash.

why does it seem that the poor people are fatter than the people who can actually afford more food in this country?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,321,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
why does it seem that the poor people are fatter than the people who can actually afford more food in this country?
Healthy food, especially fruit I think, costs more here. Poor people here can afford food but will buy generics so they can have more money for cable etc. If you can afford it its easier to choose what goes in your body.
Basically a lot of people get cut off right at that point, you don't have to worry about starving but eating healthy is difficult. Maybe not impossible but just to much trouble for a lot of people.
There are a lot of cultural factors but I think thats a big part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas